Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 March, 2011, 02:02:43 PM
This is all pure conjecture on my part, of course.

Sadly not likely to be far from the truth.  I would stop short of using IrishRepublican.net as a reliable source myself, although they do have plenty of connections to Libya.

Bombing Gadaffi's compound, huh?  It really is the '80's all over again.

Old Tankie

The price I'm paying for petrol at the moment, I'm all for making oil tanker shipping through the Mediterranean more secure!

The Legendary Shark

An email I got today. Unfortunately, I can't make it but maybe others will be in a better position to take part...

"This Saturday 26th March is the big day for the anti cuts movement, hundreds of thousands of people will March in London for an alternative to the spending cuts. We'll be there representing the One Good Cut campaign, a campaign aiming to get monetary reform onto the anti-cuts agenda as a viable alternative.

Over the next few months we aim to present the arguments for monetary reform to the environmental and anti-poverty lobbies, explaining why banking and finance have an exacerbatiing effect on environmental destruction and poverty at home and abroad, and how taking back control of the money supply offers us a way out of these problems.

Whether you are against the recent spending cuts or not, the past few months have shown that protest in the UK can be successful, the Save the Forests campaign achieving a total U-turn in government policy, the actions of UK Uncut rousing the left and showing signs of small turnarounds in government tax policy.

As you will know if you are receiving this email, the greatest commons resource of all, the money supply, has been privatised and turned from an instrument of value into an instrument of debt. Every single penny of all the money in flow in the UK has been borrowed from a bank, and the banks decide who gets to borrow it, and for what purpose.

The enormous size of the banking sector is sucking the life out of the economy, and the signs are more visible now than ever before. It cannot continue forever, the profits earned from exercising the benefits of their unfathomably profitable subsidy is not sustainable, and the real economy suffers every day as a result.

I feel it is unlikely that banking reform will be achieved purely through lobbying and good ideas, protesting and demonstrating support in public places is bound to play a significant part in this. Whether or not we have a role to play in this as an organisation, many of you receiving this email will. Saturday 26th March is the biggest event of its kind since the Iraq war demonstrations, there will be plenty of opportunity to make ourselves heard, have a good day out, and meet other like minded people at this event.

March with us on the 26th, visit http://www.positivemoney.org.uk tomorrow evening to get prepared and find out how you can put banking reform at the heart of the protest movement.

Kind Regards

Ben Curtis"
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

COMMANDO FORCES

This thread reminds me of the people who ring Talk Sport through the night (that's when they don't 'talk sport'), as they love this sort of stuff!

The Legendary Shark

"Long time listener, first time caller, Brad. I'd like to talk about wasps and their impact on the earwig population in Penge, please..."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

COMMANDO FORCES

It gets worse than anything that's appeared on this thread and ever so heated. I have a good old laugh every night at work but amazingly I agree with some of the callers when they really go for it!

Hoagy

What happened to the TUC mass protest?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Dandontdare

Quote from: Krombasher on 23 March, 2011, 10:38:38 AM
What happened to the TUC mass protest?

It's this Saturday - I'll be there! trying to work out a good slogan for a sign - I think I'll just go with ARSE. Says it all.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

IF you can possibly make it into London tomorrow, add yourself to the weight of numbers who are marching to say that we should not be axing the arts, childcare, legal advice, libraries, forensic laboratories, domestic violence support, scientific research, social services, homeless shelters, drug advice, meals on wheels flood defences, solar energy, special needs education, forestryrecycling,      ...to pay for the billions we shovelled into the banker's trough.

Labour did not bankrupt the country. Borrowing (as a %age of GDP) is less than under Thatcher, governments always live on credit and we owe less than the Americans. In true Goeballs-style however the Tories have peddled this Big Lie that the international banking fuckup wasn't to blame, but that 'Labour have pissed all your money away'; to get away with a mind-boggling attack on the weakest and most vulnerable members of our society. Repeat it often enough and even intelligent people start agreeing that swinging cuts in basic service are necessary - BOLLOX!

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dandontdare

Quote from: vzzbux on 25 March, 2011, 10:58:45 PM
I know its old new but this didn't help the economy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1654931.ece

V

True, true, that boneheaded cock-up cost the country £2bn. The banking crisis cost us £850bn

The Legendary Shark

I wonder if the bankers call the banking crisis a banking crisis, or do they call it a banking bonanza?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Did I mention that I have to get up at five bloody thirty in the bastard morning to exercise my democratic rights? Arsebiscuit.

The Legendary Shark

I saw my MP tonight.

She promised to help with our village's inadequate drains.

Woop de doo doo, pass her a shovel.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]