Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 30 May, 2012, 09:55:15 AM
Jesus being born without sin and to a virgin was unnecessary. The Immaculate Conception, that Mary was also born without sin, even more so.

The 'virgin' birth was an intepretaion -or mis-translation- of the original texts which originally meant 'young' woman, not virgin. The Hebrew word in Isaiah 7:14 is "almah," and its inherent meaning is "young woman." You could interpret from that, if you so wish, that most young women would be virigns too but that doesn't make it the crux of the word's original use in scripture.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteHmmm...so jot and tittle didn't mean every jot and tittle.  Just some of the jots and a few of the tittles.  In fact, just the jots and tittles which don't inconvenience us in our everyday lives, unless we happen to be in a minority.

^^^This.

EDIT: What's a tittle anyway? I want one.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mikey

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 May, 2012, 10:55:23 AM

Diminutive of a 'titt'?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mikey on 30 May, 2012, 11:05:13 AM

Diminutive of a 'titt'?

M.

If it's diminutive then I don't want one.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 May, 2012, 11:15:33 AM
Quote from: Mikey on 30 May, 2012, 11:05:13 AM

Diminutive of a 'titt'?

You all ready have two, unless you're moobile.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 May, 2012, 10:39:22 AMThe 'virgin' birth was an intepretaion -or mis-translation- of the original texts . . .

After two millennia of tradition, dogma, and testimony, Christians (or the majority of, certainly) are unlikely to be swayed by that teensy little fact.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Mikey

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 May, 2012, 11:15:33 AM

Have two then - they're small.

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 30 May, 2012, 11:19:29 AM
After two millennia of tradition, dogma, and testimony, Christians (or the majority of, certainly) are unlikely to be swayed by that teensy little fact.

Fact and faith can be two very different things. In the best possible way, faith negates the need for facts or the need to be realigned in the face of them.

M.

Hoagy

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 May, 2012, 10:39:22 AM
Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 30 May, 2012, 09:55:15 AM
Jesus being born without sin and to a virgin was unnecessary. The Immaculate Conception, that Mary was also born without sin, even more so.

The 'virgin' birth was an intepretaion -or mis-translation- of the original texts which originally meant 'young' woman, not virgin. The Hebrew word in Isaiah 7:14 is "almah," and its inherent meaning is "young woman."

You could interpret from that, if you so wish, that most young women would be virigns too but that doesn't make it the crux of the word's original use in scripture.

What a catastrophic F*** UP, that little misunderstanding has led to down the way. It's like building without a plumb line. With the more laid onto it becoming more unstable as time has gone on.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Mikey on 30 May, 2012, 11:25:35 AMFact and faith can be two very different things. In the best possible way, faith negates the need for facts or the need to be realigned in the face of them.

Sorry, Mikey. I'm a bear of very little brain so you'll have to clarify what you mean by 'the best possible way'.

Faith doesn't need proof if it remains a personal thing. But, as an atheist and a lazy-arse sceptic, I do have a problem if and when that faith is used in support of inequality and hate.

The Legendary Shark

Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet, you can get further with both than just one.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mikey

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 30 May, 2012, 12:56:28 PM
Sorry, Mikey. I'm a bear of very little brain so you'll have to clarify what you mean by 'the best possible way'..

I mean without ending up in a fury of spittle fuelled rage trying to work out how some things can be rationalised despite what seems to be a big arrow pointing at it that says 'this is a load of bollocks'. It was an attempt to not denigrate how important faith is to individuals - I know not all religious folks just lap up everything that's put in front of them, but spend a lot of time thinking about how their faith tallies with the world around them without denying that homosexuality, for example, is within the range of normal human behaviours.

I suppose I could have just said that!

FWIW I don't believe in a god, I don't think we are semi divine or here for any particular purpose. I also think two or more consenting adults can do what they like with each other (some things should be private though!). I don't think a community organised around a church is inherently a bad thing until it starts to tell others they're wrong for not being part of it, for whatever reason, or maybe starts killing non believers directly or believers indirectly.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 May, 2012, 01:10:57 PM
Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet, you can get further with both than just one.

Or one of your feet are protected, the other is exposed to the ravages of nature and found wanting.

M.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Mikey on 30 May, 2012, 01:26:20 PM. . . I suppose I could have just said that!

Heh. Thought that was probably what you were getting at. I was just being dull-headed.

JOE SOAP

The 'virgin' birth was an intepretaion -or mis-translation- of the original texts which originally meant 'young' woman, not virgin. The Hebrew word in Isaiah 7:14 is "almah," and its inherent meaning is "young woman."

You could interpret from that, if you so wish, that most young women would be virigns too but that doesn't make it the crux of the word's original use in scripture.

Quote from: George Dread on 30 May, 2012, 11:35:11 AM

What a catastrophic F*** UP, that little misunderstanding has led to down the way. It's like building without a plumb line. With the more laid onto it becoming more unstable as time has gone on.

Also helped fuck-up the prequels; is there no end to this evil?

The Prodigal

As a relative newbie may I ask-what is the relative spread of left/right politics wise among 2000ad's followers?

The Legendary Shark

I do not subscribe to the false right/left paradigm.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]