Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-Ball

Yesterday wasn't independence thwarted but rather independence deferred. I think Churchill put it best, "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." :D
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Goaty

8-Ball

Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Professor Bear

Those who support TTIP won, as did noted murderer David Cameron and others who jumped on the BT bandwagon when it became apparent there was screen time involved.  Everyone else gets to foot the bill for the referendum that achieved naff all, but hey, if we footed the bill without complaint for the billions lost on postal service privitisation and the Universal Credit white elephant, I suppose the illusion of democracy isn't such a bad way to piss money up a wall.

Steve Green

Alec Salmond has resigned as FM and SNP leader.

Modern Panther

Scottish First Minister has just announced intention to stand down. Not a big surprise, but a loss nonetheless.  Salmond is political marmite in Scotland (in that he's very yeast), but love him or hate him, he's a politician who inspires action - something seriously lacking in Hollywood as well as Westminster.

Modern Panther

Holyrood, obviously. Not Hollywood. Hollywood is very inspiring.

Frank

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't like Salmond but he's the most able politician in Scotland, and I have no problem with him as First Minister *. I honestly thought he would see out his term, but the symbolism of letting Sturgeon handle the incredible triumph of Glasgow wasn't lost on me.

* except the Trump thing, obviously

Dog Deever

Yup- right-spectrum politics won, those who support participation in global economic imperialism, the bankers, the corporations and the politics of greed won. Gains were made certainly and it will long be an issue yet. nearly half the country not even wanting to negotiate- just outright leave the UK is a big number. Should Westminster, regardless of its Red or Blue tie, fail to carry out on its promises in a significant way, that number will grow. As the older generation die off, more of the demographic that supported the UK will vanish.
We can only hope that the knuckle-dragging Yes voters don't rally round proper Nationalism as it has done all over the UK around British Nationalism.

And now my fb account has been locked, 'for security'. They want me to download a 'facebook malware  checker'- yeah right.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Steve Green

Frank

According to Trump on BBC news, wind turbines lost the referendum for Salmond. Fucking deluded monomaniac.

Steve Green

I was just watching that... I couldn't believe he came out with that as a reason.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I think Salmond might well have won had joining the Euro been a viable proposition. As it is, he's done the right thing by resigning, it will be a long time before the SNP get another crack at splitting the union.

Quote from: Dudley on 19 September, 2014, 01:58:41 PM
Holyrood will have to set up its supposedly more Scottish large welfare state in direct competition with an England dedicated to low tax - meaning all businesses that can will flee south at very little cost.  This was never going to end well - and it hasn't.

This was always going to happen. England favours lower taxes, Scotland better public services. I think it's right that both countries get what they want.

Fungus

Quote from: sauchie polling station on 19 September, 2014, 05:42:47 PM

According to Trump on BBC news, wind turbines lost the referendum for Salmond. Fucking deluded monomaniac.

Sheesh - sorry to miss that!

You can see why a man with his troubling barnet[t] has a wind fixation.

Frank

Quote from: sauchie polling station on 19 September, 2014, 06:54:47 AM
Shit, man - did you just see the ash blonde Alistair Darling closing his speech by flicking on the strobe and raving to The Scream? That was like the bits in Zenith where Tory Peter St John's eyes went Paisley pattern.

I know you thought I was kidding, but I'm really fucking not. Crazy bastard looks like he's coming up on an E, then he fires the glitter cannon and blisses out to nineties indie house:

http://youtu.be/xLa9meUcfOw?t=50s