Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 17 January, 2016, 04:21:55 PM
Knightlore is teh boss, but our GTA was Shirley Werewolves Of London - you could even go in the London Underground to lose the rozzers (but don't touch the electric rail).

This passed me by completely - which is very strange, given the breadth of my knowledge of Spectrum games.

(As for Corbyn, I'd take warhead-less nuclear submarines over counterproductive bombings of the Middle East any day.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

M.I.K.

You know that stuff about (possibly but probably not) biased Google search results recently? Well, this is currently in the news bit of Yahoo...

...but when you click on it, this happens...

The article is easy enough to find elsewhere, but why would it be removed from the Yahoo news section?

The Legendary Shark

Isn't Yahoo currently in lumber over allowing ivory trading?  I'm sure I either read that somewhere - or possibly dreamt it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 February, 2016, 06:57:54 AM
Isn't Yahoo currently in lumber over allowing ivory trading?  I'm sure I either read that somewhere - or possibly dreamt it.

No, I read that too. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Either that or we're sharing dreams. I find both options vaguely disconcerting...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

Terrifying polling on the UK EU vote, from my point of view. YouGov now puts 'out' NINE points ahead, which will delight The Sun, The Mail and The Express, those bastions of British values and freedom. I can only hope YouGov's polling is no better than it was during the election, or that there are lots of 'shy' yes voters, but binary predictions are a hell of a lot easier than GEs. It really does look like the UK's about to jump into the void, for no good reason.

Still, I'm sure the UK will return to how it used to be in those halcyon days of [insert year where you inexplicably think the UK was all green fields and amazingness here] when we tell the EU to get stuffed. And we'll magically somehow still have unrestricted access to our biggest trading bloc and freedom of movement and residency throughout EU countries, rejoin and gain control over EFTA (which will, according to UKIP somehow drive and shape EU policy), retain all the companies (including financial institutions) that have said they'll move to the EU if the UK leaves, keep our status in the world despite the USA and China both saying EU membership is vital, and stop evil immigration even though it has fuck all to do with the EU.

Brilliantly, I'm also seeing a lot of people saying they're going to vote no because: HA HA! It will make Cameron look like a right idiot! Yes. That's a great reason to vote for that option.

TordelBack

And the best bit is that you'll still have a 500km-long open land border and dual citizenship agreement with an EU state (admittedly a non-Schengen one). How's that going to work?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tordelback on 05 February, 2016, 11:13:57 AM
And the best bit is that you'll still have a 500km-long open land border and dual citizenship agreement with an EU state (admittedly a non-Schengen one). How's that going to work?

And quite likely another one with Scotland, who almost certainly will have to sign up to Schengen if they want to join the EU as an independent nation.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

My Mam's English.  Will a Brexit make me more exotic, off-continent genes?  Seriously though, the border thing does seem a bit weird (though I suppose Switzerland manges).

Old Tankie

Here we go Project Fear starting on the forum.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 05 February, 2016, 01:24:51 PM

Every opinion you've mouthed on this subject has turned out to be unsupported by actual facts. Every time I've challenged you on something, you've been unable to make a halfway competent job of supporting your position.

One of us is appealing to fear and prejudice from a position of ignorance, and it's not me.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Makes no difference whether the people stealing your money and pushing you around are based in London or Brussels. A state is a state - there's not one to mend another - they all expect you to bow before them, whether they deserve your fealty or not.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Well, yeah - as an Irish citizen I'm afraid of the economic implications of our largest trading partner and only land-linked neighbour leaving our economic and political union, even though we do have historic bilateral agreements regarding free movement, employment etc. - although it would be amusing to see how this affects the 11,000 UK benefit tourists citizens claiming the dole in this State. Or indeed the other 20,000 claiming elsewhere in the EU. Would you like them back, perhaps?

I'm also genuinely interested in the status of residents of Northern Ireland, who can choose to be Irish or UK citizens at will under the GFA, and thus Schrodinger's nordies when it comes to being EU citizens.

IndigoPrime

If the Daily Mail gets its way, just wait until a few years down the line when its readers suddenly realise:

- Brits no longer have any automatic right to reside anywhere outside of the UK. No more retiring to Spain and France, unless you're stinking rich. No moving overseas for a bit, just because you fancy it.
- Going to France for a quick booze cruise now requires at the least a visa waiver, and everything must be declared upon your return.
- Holidays in Spain dump Brits in the non-EU line, which moves at a snail's pace.

And the big one:

- They can no longer blame the EU for stuff, which may or may not include a deranged permanent Tory government of the newly downsized state of 'England' busily turning the country into a tax haven for the rich, and eradicating human rights.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 February, 2016, 01:46:49 PMMakes no difference whether the people stealing your money and pushing you around are based in London or Brussels. A state is a state - there's not one to mend another - they all expect you to bow before them, whether they deserve your fealty or not.
EU membership is about a hell of a lot more than who runs the show. Hell, I'm married to an EEA citizen, and although even UKIP has said it would grudgingly 'allow' existing EEA citizens to remain in the UK, there has been talk merely of grace periods. That is terrifying.

GordonR

The original Project Fear was the weight of the entire British Establushment - politicians, media, corporate interests - being brought to bear to bring those unruly jockos into line during the Scottish IndyRef.  that job done, we saw its machinery clanking into motion again last year (and still going now) to reduce and rubbish Jeremy Corbyn.

You don't get to use that phrase for anything anti-euro sceptic, not when the Establushment that uses the Project Fear tactics - the Murdoch empire, UKIP, a large part of the Conservative Party - are firmly on your side of the debate.