Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Monarch on 23 January, 2023, 03:57:27 PM
The three series of Mean Team and Bad City Blue would make up pretty much the page count mentioned. Strange Robin Smith's name or the story's name's not on the cover. Early mock up, maybe?

Not always a given. Slaughterbowl, Absalom and Tor Cyan weren't listed on the covers of Mean Arena, Caballistics and Mercy Heights.
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 23 January, 2023, 07:37:39 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 January, 2023, 03:21:34 PM
My quick space maths makes it:

Top of the World, Ma-Ma - 6
Underbelly - 30
Uprise - 50
Dust - 50
Furies - 30
Anderson: The Deep End - 20
Anderson: Judgement Call - 10
The Dead World - 52

for about 250 pages.

If they add in the 12-page Trinity from prog 2262, that leaves room for end pages and titles to bring it to 272?

Yeah that'd be a nice book. Trinity would be a lovely little inclusion.

I guess Mean Team has some Bellardinelli art. Otherwise yeah not too excited about that stories inclusion.

moly

With issue 140 now released has anyone seen the spine art for the extended, extended editions

michaelarby

I'll pick up the dredd and slaine book, and you guys have piqued my interest with all the positive comments about zenith and Armoured Gideon so ill keep an eye for those too. but the rest are just meaningless names to me now that ive decided to cherry pick - I'll need yous all to keep me right on what to pick up and what to leave ;)
Art website: www.michaelarby.com

Tomontherun94

139 and 140 arrived today. Strangely the Middenface volume is missing one seemingly random story, Midnapped from megs 234-236. Outside of Durham Red there's only A Sorry Case, Tales From The Doghouse, the Stix FCBD one-off and a few post-Carlos stories left uncollected afaik so hopefully we'll get one last SD volume to round it all off

IndigoPrime

Quote from: michaelarby on 25 January, 2023, 04:25:45 PM
I'll need yous all to keep me right on what to pick up and what to leave ;)

One thing that's perhaps worth doing is keeping an eye on Rebellion's store for sales. A few times now, Zenith HCs there have been 50% off, which would still be more than overall Hachette pricing, but for physically larger books. Similarly, Dan Dare was released by Rebellion across two chunky HCs, although the first might now be sold out, IIRC.

As for which books, I suspect that as ever that'll come down to people's individual preferences. Age of the Wolf was divisive at the time, but its werewolf shenanigans might align with your keenness for newer fare. It isn't a top tier thrill though, much as I liked it myself. And the same is true for Armoured Gideon, which has a superb robot design and some interesting ideas, but to some degree lurks in guilty pleasure territory. (I recall it being enjoyable silly, myself, but I've not read the entire thing for years.) Mean Team, however, is only worth bothering with if you like 1980s comics about future sports. I always found that strip quite dull.

Al's Baby is fun enough, but for me outstayed its welcome. Not sure if I still have the Rebellion trade but I'm not tempted to upgrade. Movie Dredd was interesting. For me, the main error was the last series. It felt a lot like Tharg was saying "end it". I'd have, in all honesty, happily continued reading strips about movie Dredd indefinitely, and discovering how that world could have evolved on the page. Bah.

Mazeworld is tempting. Another I have on the shelf here, but... I like HCs.

sintec

I've picked up quite a few of the things slated for this extension in Rebellion Christmas sales and with my subscriber discount voucher. At the time they were a good deal and I figured if they turned up in the UC then I'd either give them to a mate of sell them on. Will have to wait and see what the Hachette books look like before I know what's going and staying (especially as all my books are in boxes at the moment due to DIY). But towards the end of the run I may well be selling off some of the doubles.

Mazeworld has glorious Arthur Ranson art, it I was cherry-picking and didn't already own the paperback that one would be on my must buy list. I'd agree with Indigo re Al's Baby; the first series is a good silly comedy from Wagner & Ezquerra but the sequels feel like they stretch the joke a bit too far.

Tomontherun94

The preview for Al's Baby on the back of prog 2317 shows part of the new spine. It's definitely a new artist on it but I'm not sure who. Characters we can make out are Rowan from Age Of The Wolf, Slim from Harlem Heroes and Shako so there's a couple more series confirmed.

Swerty

I think someone mentioned Bill Willshaw was doing the spine art

AlexF

sintec

With the intro to the latest Sin/Dex book starting "Welcome to the final volume of Sinister Dexter in the Ultimate Collection" I thought I'd check with their FB to see if this was still true with the extension. Apparently there aren't any plans for more so doesn't look like we'll be bringing that right up to date sadly.

Harlem Heroes is going to need 2 books. More if they continue past Inferno (hopefully not).

Anthony Garnon

Quote from: sintec on 31 January, 2023, 03:16:28 PM
With the intro to the latest Sin/Dex book starting "Welcome to the final volume of Sinister Dexter in the Ultimate Collection" I thought I'd check with their FB to see if this was still true with the extension. Apparently there aren't any plans for more so doesn't look like we'll be bringing that right up to date sadly.

Harlem Heroes is going to need 2 books. More if they continue past Inferno (hopefully not).

A shame, especially as the Dan Abnett interview at the back does touch upon the newer material. Would have been nice to read the 25th anniversary storyline in one single book.

The Monarch

Anthony Garnon

The extension takes us into late 2024 so I'm sure it'll have wrapped long before then (or we'll have enough for a new volume). We've had similarly recent books, like the Returners. Matt's intro is quite final though. Guess unless we get issues 181+ it's not happening. Surely we can't have more books to come after these next 40...?!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Anthony Garnon on 01 February, 2023, 08:24:24 AM
The extension takes us into late 2024 so I'm sure it'll have wrapped long before then...

This is Sinister Dexter we're talking about. The War of the Moses ran for nine years. Nine!
@jamesfeistdraws