Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Ro-Busters vs. ABC Warriors Rd 3 Heat 60

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 June, 2022, 06:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So here we are final week of Round 3 and quality here will set us up well for what's to come. There are some stunning ties here and a proper local derby to really add some flavour - I was so chuffed when this one was drawn as it's a right good tie (you'll only have to wait until Tuesday...). Round 4 will be coming soon (Monday next week I imagine!) and it's going to start to get super tough... or tougher at least!

For me the biggest tie of the Round - gotta love a local Derby, LFC Vs EFC, United vs. City, United Vs. Wednesday - they add so much extra spice. When doing the draw and getting to this last week I noticed this was possible, but didn't think it would come out and then YEAH! A real derby at the top level (we did get Ant Wars vs Zancudo last Round, but that's not in the same league if we're honest). The form book goes out the window as cliche would have it, so the fact that ABC Warriors have gunned down Dead Man Walking and Ro-Busters have allowed Family to burn means nothing. This one will be about who wants it more... I will add more cliches as the tie goes on...

Ro-busters - more info

Vs

ABC Warriors - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 1st  July and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Aaron A Aardvark

Ten year old me loved Robusters but I think only ten year old me would. At times Warriors has been turgid and preachy or just plain terrible but it's always ambitious.

ABC Warriors

abelardsnazz

ABC got too preachy for me towards the end but it did have Clint Langley. The Terra-Meks is an all-time classic. The Black Hole had the often overlooked SMS. Alan Moore's RB stories are great, but so is Red Planet Blues.

Argh....ABC Warriors. Just.

rogue69

IndigoPrime

If ABC Warriors stopped with Black Hole, it would win. But I found re-reading the entire run such a slog. Half the time, it's like watching a looping cartoon backdrop. There's so much preaching in the later runs. And then you have bizarre moments like [spoiler]Morrigun being casually killed off and yet the others being able to reform themselves from basically nothing whenever they fancy[/spoiler].

Ro-Busters isn't that strong either, but has some real heart so wins it for me.

Magnetica

A difficult one. Starlord Ro-Busters is what got me into comics in the first place, along with Strontium Dog.

I didn't like what they did with RoBusters when it transferred to 2000AD and I stopped getting it.

The first series of ABC Warriors played a huge part in making me a 2000AD reader. But later stories just didn't have the same magic.

Overall ABC Warriors. For that first series.

Barrington Boots

Big Jobs choices here. I didn't read RoBusters until I was an adult, so for me it was a bit basic and doesn't have the same appeal as ABC Warriors which is a genuine classic. Amazing character designs and concepts, and as Aaron says, always ambitious storylines. The later stuff did start to grate to the extent that I wasn't unhappy to see it not return, but certainly up till the end of Black Hole I think it's fantastic.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

ABC by a whisker, the later ABC/red plant stuff left me cold, but fond memories of the early stuff.
DDT did a job on me

AlexF

I think it does come down to some specific stories here.
I only came to the StarLord Ro-Busters as an adult, and it is, for the most part, VERY childish.
But I did read some 2000AD Ro-Busters as a youth and boy do I love 'the Fall & Rise' storyline, and of course shed some tears when Charlie does his thing.

Do I love these things more than (most of) the original Mek-nificent Seven? Or the Black Hole? Or Khronikles of Khaos? Do the delights of Gibbons, McMahon, O'Neill and Dorey outweigh the amazing paints of Kev Walker or whatever it is that Clint Langley does when he's creating those insane future cities with giant cranes of death and robot lunatic asylums from hell?

How to compare the humming menace of Dr Feely-Good with the insanity of Terri the human who thinks she's a machine?

I guess there's more heart in Ro-Busters, but more ideas in ABCs...
I'm an ideas man, it seems.

ABC Warriors

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

if it were strongest storylines pitted against each other, abc would win easily. but it isn't, and the later yawns did happen.

so ro-busters.

Southstreeter

ABC. Always enjoyed it, even when the script was poor (which was quite often towards the end, when years of story lines wouldn't advance the plot one jot). Just lovely to look at, whoever the artist was.

credo

Well this is a one-sided one. ABC Warriors without a doubt.

(although Ro-busters is brilliant from the Terra-Meks/War Diaries onwards).