Main Menu

Commando: The Dirty Dozen

Started by The Amstor Computer, 17 October, 2005, 05:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

again..what a deadly site!http://www.bookpalace.com/PicLibs/War/images/WPL141.jpg">

ming

Aaiiieeeee!!  Mad mental crazy site.  Thanks for that.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for another dose of Commando - would be nice if they put some history and story credits in this one!http://www.bookpalace.com/PicLibs/Lion/images/LPL08.jpg">

W. R. Logan

trying not to start a new thread but bought this down under for my long journey back and its another great book.

http://213.253.134.43/jackets/l/978184/9781844420599.jpg">

mogzilla

my dad had a mate who gave me a three foot stack of the commando books when i was younger. took me bloody weeks to  plough  through them.
  Dont read aloud in the dentists with your mum "die englander schwein!" got a clip round the ear for that if i remember for 'swearing'

Peter Wolf

I saw this in the comic shop and started sniggering when i saw the "Gott in Himmel !! "donner  un blitzen" "Achtung"  "Shwienhund!"  "Die Engisher pig dog" stuff on the back cover.  I still dont know what many of them mean to this day .I never even read Commando books much.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Peter Wolf

Your icon has changed for some reason.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

mogzilla

my icon has vanished cos i in my stella induced wisdom decided to try and get the colour version i originally sent.it didnt work.i,ve mailed wake to try again with a new hellboy(in colour)

'if it aint broke...'

Tiplodocus

These have become a regular Christmas present for me know.

Obviously some of the stories are better than others but I've been amazed at how gripping some of the action set pieces can be. There's a firefight in the woods in the one with the gypsy cursed rifle that, despite having no explicit death or gore is still pretty tense.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Adrian Bamforth

I've been watching Comics Britannica about Commando tonight; What I want to know is, who are the Commando readers today? It looks from the covers, the format and the blurb on their web site that it's pretty much the same as it ever was in most respects, yet nearly every other comic has died out despite having far more shelf presence, advertising, colour, humour, gifts and tie-ins and freedom to change with the times. It also doesn't have recurring characters. I had assumed that it was probably reprints of old strips though I'm informed by the web site that they still produce 4 new issues a month on top of selling reprints.

When it was launched there were still grenades and Lugers lying round and everyone's dad stories to tell of their experiences on the battlefield. There surely can't be that many kids into the specifics of these old wars can there? Similarly, I can't imagine it's still loyally subscribed to by middle-aged to old men. Surely today's war films have raised the bar? Is it just still with is by being incredibly cheap to produce, is it propped up by sales in war-torn countries or does it have something to say about succeeding by remaining totally unchanged?

satchmo

I'd be interested to know who buys Commando too. My local Smiths is always well stocked but I've never seen anyone else buying it.

COMMANDO FORCES

Reading the Commando books takes me back to when I would go to my Grandad's house and he would have a stockpile of them waiting for me to read.
I always had to read the Army ones first.
The RAF & Naval one didn't really appeal to me that much but I would read them in the end.

As to who reads them now satchmo, the best thing to do is for you to set up an OP in Smiths and stay there for a few weeks recording all the comings and goings and then report back here with your findings.