Main Menu

Prog 2106 - End Times

Started by Tjm86, 03 November, 2018, 11:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 07 November, 2018, 12:19:10 PM
Haven't even looked inside the prog yet but oh my, covers just do not get any better than that.

In total agreement on the cover, really nice
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

QuoteHershey's never been elected
She was elected the first time round, in the first episode of The Cal Legacy in prog 1178.

She wasn't elected the second time, unless she was and we just weren't shown it. Probably not much to show if she ran unopposed.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 07 November, 2018, 03:06:51 PM
QuoteHershey's never been elected

She was elected the first time round, in the first episode of The Cal Legacy in prog 1178. She wasn't elected the second time, unless she was and we just weren't shown it. Probably not much to show if she ran unopposed.

Right you are. How could I forget Jack Loblaw?

Tiplodocus

Cylinders
In
Droids
And
On
This
Firing
Are
Tharg
His
Prog
All

Rearrange the above to form a sentence that gives my Prog review.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 November, 2018, 11:20:17 PM
I know nothing will change your mind at this stage, but I can't articulate how wrong you are about Brink.

It's one of the most masterful, subtle pieces of work I've seen in the medium, consistently keeping you guessing about everything, even including what genre it is. Culbard's deceptively simple art style is the perfect accomplice to Abnett's calm, measured script. They should be teaching this shit in colleges as an example of what you can do with the medium.

That'll do for my prog review: it simply doesn't get better than Brink. Enjoyed everything else,  although Skip Tracer and Kingdom have slowed down a bit that's okay too. Just a consistently great comic at the moment.

James Stacey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 November, 2018, 01:35:15 PM
Cylinders
In
Droids
And
On
This
Firing
Are
Tharg
His
Prog
All

Rearrange the above to form a sentence that gives my Prog review.

Tharg firing all his cylinders in Droids, and this prog, are on?

broodblik

Brink has been consistently being one of the best stories that ever graced the pages of 2000AD.  This is a story which in my younger days I would not have appreciated but luckily age do have its benefits.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, I have started a BRINK re-read. Not because I am confused (like I did with say, DEADWORLD or a recent Anderson) but because it has so much to offer.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

DrRocka

Isn't Dredd's black horse his equivalent of Frank's snowflake - in effect, the code totem that Smiley's programmed him with? As in, only he can see it? Or am I reading all this wrong?
Never ever bloody anything ever

Richard

He physically rode the horse to safety.

TordelBack

Maybe Smiley keeps it in a Small Stable until needed.

norton canes

This prog sees most of the strips in simmer mode, with three of them approaching their conclusions in 2109 (Brink is of course in permanent simmer mode). You could almost say it's a 2000 AD Simmer Special. Debut 3hriller Infestinauts is the exception, kicking off with a bang. It looks like it has potential. Has it been brought in after the success of Survival Geeks, do we think? Is Tharg making a concerted effort to inject more overtly humorous content into the prog?

Elsewhere the intrigue thickens in Dredd, Brink and Kingdom. The latter strip looks like it might actually be reaching its final conclusion. Will Gene bow out? Or bow-wow out?

I'm here all week.

Dandontdare

Quote from: norton canes on 09 November, 2018, 11:51:19 AM
You could almost say it's a 2000 AD Simmer Special.... Will Gene bow out? Or bow-wow out?

Taxi for Canes! I've got your coat.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 November, 2018, 12:16:14 PM
You could almost say it's a 2000 AD Simmer Special.... Will Gene bow out? Or bow-wow out?

Taxi for Canes! I've got your coat.

I'm sorry sir, it seems Mr. Canes had already been bundled into another taxi 5 minutes earlier.
You could almost say it's a 2000 AD Simmer Special.

Colin YNWA

So very late to the party this week as my sub didn't arrive yet and I got impatient and rather than wait for my copy to arrive I popped to WH Smiths today and picked one up.

So the big change this week is 3riller - Infestinauts Are Go! in for Fiends, now last week I discussed how a bit of balance and variety makes the truely perfect prog and this change gives us that. Infestinauts is a fun quirky little thing which has a nice fresh different tone... however what it also proves is variety alone doesn't trump quality and while I enjoyed it its just not as good as fiends and as such this weeks Prog has an uphill battle.

Mind it ably supported Kingdom and Brink remain very very best Tharg has to offer and Skip Tracer remains the thrill its turned into and great fun.

Dredd of course adds more and more big moments and small clues. By George (and we're past spoilers now right... Hershey's reaction to Dredd's proclimation is just delivered perfectly - just great comics. This story has a lot to cover in its last three parts, but man its going to be fun finding out how its going to do that.

So what was good remains very, very good. The swap however drops the quality just a notch. So we're down from the very very best Tharg has very given us to just a very very great Prog... times are hard its like the 90s all over again...