Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul faplad Finch

I have just discovered that Hitman is being reprinted. My funds are severely depleted and I haven't bought a non Rebellion GN in 6 months. I once read a comment that described this series as 'Preacher lite, but not in a bad way.' Or words to that effect. I loved Preacher, so my question is, should I take a chance on this? Is it well thought of by the bods on here? 
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Jared Katooie

Hitman is one of the best comics I've ever read. The characters are great, the action scenes are brilliant, and the jokes are hilarious. Ennis' best work to date, in my opinion.

Highly reccomended.

Proudhuff

Battlefields : Motherlands out now with a Gary Leach cover,

Anna from the Nightwitches returns:  great stuff, lots of planes for you spotters...

picked up the lastest Crossed too and felt sulled by the end of it, only afterwards noticed the change of writer
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 June, 2010, 04:21:58 PM
Battlefields : Motherlands out now with a Gary Leach cover,

Anna from the Nightwitches returns:  great stuff, lots of planes for you spotters...

Read this on the train on the way into work this morning and have to say its really rather good. Again does what Ennis so often does so well with these stories it dances with cliche but always makes that dance so very exciting and different.

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 June, 2010, 04:21:58 PM
picked up the lastest Crossed too and felt sulled by the end of it, only afterwards noticed the change of writer

Seriously, what is it with that new series of Crossed?  Ennis' run was sick to the core, but with some sort of desperate morality underlying it when the (literally) gut-wrenching antics of the Crossed were compared with the surviors, and was somehow compelling (and who could resist Horsecock? ;)).  This Lapham stuff barely features the Crossed, and instead we're treated to graphic and repeated incest and child abuse amongst the survivors.  Won't be reading any further.

Proudhuff

Won't be reading any further.

Same
DDT did a job on me

Trout

Anyone seen the adverts for the new Boys spin-off? It's called Highland Laddie and it seems to be the origin of Wee Hughie.

I love the ad, which has Hughie sitting on a bucket. I can't wait.

JINGS!

- Trout

Colin YNWA

Funnily enough the September solicitations for Dynamite have just popped up over at Newsarama and there's ya fella.

QuoteTHE BOYS: HIGHLAND LADDIE #2 (of 6)
32 pages FC  •  $3.99  •  Mature
Written by GARTH ENNIS 
Art by JOHN McCREA
Cover by DARICK ROBERTSON
"Black & White" retailer incentive cover by DARICK ROBERTSON
Hughie delves into his past, but finds that the halcyon days of childhood are not all they're cracked up to be. The successes of his junior detective operation with Big Bobby and Det were few and far between- but is there a connection between their oldest case and the shadowy outfit now moving narcotics through the idyllic town of Auchterladle? A certain Russian connection brings up a name from the Boys' past, in part two of the six-part Highland Laddie.

Retailers, check order form for ordering incentives.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Dynamite-september-2010-solicitations-100625.html

Alas still no Wagner Zorro return but that's not really a topic for this thread I'll go sulk elsewhere!

Pete Wells

Just want to agree with the views on Crossed Family Values which I had the misfortune to (half) read this week.

I'd be embarrassed turning scripts like that in, appalling. I felt uneasy reading them and for the first time ever with a comic, gave up reading out of shame.

Tiplodocus

That final issue of FIREFLY AND HIS MAJESTY was absolutely brillinat. Simple but very tense cat and mouse game with a superb climax.  I particulaly liked the "game" line as it stands very well on it's own but, if you've read "Dear Billy", riffs off that and you can extrapolate a little bit of insight into the King Tiger commander.

Fantastic expressive art as well.

Happy dinosaur - glad I took the risk as I really dind't like the first TANKIES.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Ennis does have a thing about finales in churches along Crucifixions and Crucifixs, isn't there one on the cover of the latest Boys? and there was a nailed up holyman in Crossed too
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Having finally lined up a complete run of Hellblazer (my own handful of trades and scattered floppies, a heap of library trades and a dozen or so sneaky downloads to fill gaps), I'm well into a long overdue re-read.  

I was really looking forward to it, and I hate to say it, but Ennis' run is not doing much for me.  Even scattered sequences which I remembered as great (down-and-out Constantine versus the King of the Vampires) just don't seem to hang together when read in order.  Even the Dillon art work now seems bland.  And the resolution of the down-and-out storyline is pitifully disappointing.  So far there is one great issue in his run, the David Lloyd one about a guy haunted by his diary.  The rest... just way too much of the same pubchat-and-bessie-mates-and-perfect-girlfriends stuff, and a woefully stupid (and stupid-looking) Satan.

Worst bit was an inane sequence where John stands on Westminster Bridge and thinks bad thoughts at the the occupants of the Houses of Parliament, who have always been the real enemy he's fighting. And then there's the daft Caligula Club...

Still, I've a fair way to go yet, and it's better than the possessed bulldog buisness.  Maybe it'll pick up.

TordelBack

The Boys 44.  Finally.  Can we move on now please?

Proudhuff

Highland laddie: anyone else read it?

Lots of salutes to the broons and Oor Willie from the cover in, nice set up hopefully full on boys nonsense kicks off next issue
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

That will be a no then?  ;)

I noticed that THE FIREFLY AND HIS MAJESTY trade is out now looks loverly almost tempted...
DDT did a job on me