Main Menu

Prog 2144 War Crimes and Retribution

Started by Proudhuff, 10 August, 2019, 02:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

And they're not wearing helmets. Tsk. (Yeah, yeah, psychic abilities blah blah. I rather side with movie Dredd on that score.)

TordelBack

Quote from: Judge Olde on 15 August, 2019, 10:39:50 AM
Dredd seems incapable of avoiding capture or getting large holes blown in him on an increasingly regular basis...

I always associated the age of Captive Dredd with Ennis' stewardship, but skimming back Wagner & Grant did a fair bit of it too. However it does seem to have become at least a monthly occurrence lately, unfortunate as Passive Dredd is probably my least favourite flavour after Malicious Dredd.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 August, 2019, 12:31:10 PM
The last page of Anderson made no sense in a Justice Dept context ... Anderson and Karyn just basically told their boss "nah, we're not going to do that, we're going back on the streets. Can she be  controlled? Nah, but we're going to do it anyway" and then they ride off into the city.

I read that as shorthand for Anderson successfuly making the case that Karyn was an asset despite/because of her abilities, which makes sense for a Psi Judge.

Shenker's been Division Head for more than 30 years, I imagine he can make a decision about how best to wrangle his freaks.

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 August, 2019, 12:42:15 PM

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 August, 2019, 12:31:10 PM
The last page of Anderson made no sense in a Justice Dept context ... Anderson and Karyn just basically told their boss "nah, we're not going to do that, we're going back on the streets. Can she be  controlled? Nah, but we're going to do it anyway" and then they ride off into the city.

I read that as shorthand for Anderson successfuly making the case that Karyn was an asset despite/because of her abilities, which makes sense for a Psi Judge.

Shenker's been Division Head for more than 30 years, I imagine he can make a decision about how best to wrangle his freaks.

Maybe he can, but that's not how it was written - it was basically just Shenker being overruled by his subordinates. Why would he let her on the streets when she openly admits that she can't control the demon? Seems an odd decision to me, and one that requires at last a line of dialogue to justify it.

Dandontdare

"least" not last - - why do certain topics not allow edits?  :-\

TordelBack

Did the conclusion of the story not demonstrate that Karyn could still act siccessfully as a judge despite being a rage-vampire? Dredd and Anderson both agreed with her judgement, that seems like a solid endorsement. Maybe an additional line or caption could have reiterated this, but if numbers are so drsperate that robots and Sovs can now be judges as long as they uphold the Law, why not monsters?

broodblik

The Anderson story was not bad but it is almost a case for me if this was the last ever Anderson in the prog then I will not miss it. I feel the character needs a dramatic change to make her interesting again.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Leigh S

I'd like a line explaining where the big monsters went to (or how they coud bust into security vehicles if they were just illusions).  And one explaining why Justice Dpt appeared to be keeping people in kook cubes who they knew weren't insane. And a few more really

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 August, 2019, 12:53:20 PM
Did the conclusion of the story not demonstrate that Karyn could still act siccessfully as a judge despite being a rage-vampire? Dredd and Anderson both agreed with her judgement, that seems like a solid endorsement. Maybe an additional line or caption could have reiterated this, but if numbers are so drsperate that robots and Sovs can now be judges as long as they uphold the Law, why not monsters?

Greg M.

Judge Dredd trapped up to his neck in the dirt is turning into that Robo-Hunter story where Sam Slade spends a whole episode stuck in a chair. But for twice as long.

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 August, 2019, 05:02:58 PM
Judge Dredd trapped up to his neck in the dirt is turning into that Robo-Hunter story where Sam Slade spends a whole episode stuck in a chair. But for twice as long.

Fool. Dredd's slowly worked his neck and upper shoulders free. And that's just one episode.

Tomwe

Quote from: Frank on 15 August, 2019, 05:33:59 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 15 August, 2019, 05:02:58 PM

Fool. Dredd's slowly worked his neck and upper shoulders free. And that's just one episode.

Frank's post has reminded me the little problem (sorry!) I had with the Weston droid's art this week - reverse foreshortening on those boots!

Greg M.

Quote from: Frank on 15 August, 2019, 05:33:59 PM

He didn't even do that himself, Maitland just scraped a bit off by hand!

Frank

Mike Carroll stuck Dredd in bed for a Summer, Niemand and Williams mix things up with a bed/buried combo. The real excitement of these stories is guessing which member of the supporting cast will rescue Dredd.

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Dredd shouting "Maitland Duck!" I'd forgotten he was from Sheffield.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 August, 2019, 06:07:29 PM
Dredd shouting "Maitland Duck!" I'd forgotten he was from Sheffield.

-audible groan-