Main Menu

Milligan & McCarthy collection due in September from Dark Horse

Started by ghostpockets, 12 April, 2013, 12:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

I've cancelled my Amazon order, cheeky buggers just sent me an email update there; STG 6.00 for delivery, means a total of STG 18.72, which works out at more than 22 Euro.

I've gone for Mings find below.
Free delivery from The Book Depository, and total cost was 15.42 Euro (VAT adjusted).
Unbelievable price.

Quote from: ming on 20 August, 2013, 07:11:20 PM

Book Depository; €16.50 (free shipping)
http://www.bookdepository.com/Best-Milligan-McCarthy-Peter-Milligan/9781616551537

Colin YNWA

Just got a note from Amazon saying they expect it to be delivered on 19th Sept, so fingers crossed Amazon orders can expect it end of next week.

SuperSurfer

Signing at FP London tomorrow.
Milligan & McCarthy sign The Best Of Milligan & McCarthy, Saturday 14 September 2013 1-2pm

Kind of tempted but I think I have most of the comic strips.

It's just the cover graphics... just so lame. Yuk. The original Eclipse and Vortex comics looked great – artwork and graphics. But to my eye, thar cover doesn't do the art justice.

hippynumber1

ming

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 13 September, 2013, 03:19:33 PM
Signing at FP London tomorrow.
Milligan & McCarthy sign The Best Of Milligan & McCarthy, Saturday 14 September 2013 1-2pm

Kind of tempted but I think I have most of the comic strips.

It's just the cover graphics... just so lame. Yuk. The original Eclipse and Vortex comics looked great – artwork and graphics. But to my eye, thar cover doesn't do the art justice.

I say go to the signing and tell Brendan your views on the cover... :lol:

As for the content, as I'm still waiting for my copy I'm not even sure what's made it in there.  Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

Sooner or Later (partial)
Electric Hoax (ditto?)
Rogan Gosh
Skin
Paradax! (Strange Days story and the follow up, I guess)
Mirkin the Mystic
Freakwave (not sure if this includes the episodes from Vanguard)
Shade (covers, at least).
Misc. bits and bobs like the ensemble pic that appeared in Deadline...

SuperSurfer

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 13 September, 2013, 04:10:20 PM
It's just the cover graphics... just so lame. Yuk.
You're walking on thin ice there my friend!  ;)
Oh... is the designer someone we know?

I did try to edit my comment to tone it down but couldn't modify. I am not one for slagging stuff off online but I just feel the cover graphics are rather unimaginative especially as the content is really out there. I know for sure the content is superb as I have most of it, if not all in the original format. If you haven't got it go for it as it really has a 2000AD feel to it.

Or am I inviting a spines type debate?

I mean, get a load of this:

ming

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 13 September, 2013, 04:51:35 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 13 September, 2013, 04:10:20 PM
It's just the cover graphics... just so lame. Yuk.
You're walking on thin ice there my friend!  ;)
Oh... is the designer someone we know?

I did try to edit my comment to tone it down but couldn't modify. I am not one for slagging stuff off online but I just feel the cover graphics are rather unimaginative especially as the content is really out there. I know for sure the content is superb as I have most of it, if not all in the original format. If you haven't got it go for it as it really has a 2000AD feel to it.

Or am I inviting a spines type debate?

Is it the image or the type face / font you have a problem with?  The Paradax pic is a vintage McCarthy one, spruced up for this book.  I guess the layout, font, etc. were also down to Brendan as he had complete editorial control over this.  Personally, I think it looks great - but anyway, the contents are the main thing!

(And I should have added Summer of Love to the list above.)

SuperSurfer

Quote from: ming on 13 September, 2013, 06:53:13 PM
Is it the image or the type face / font you have a problem with?  The Paradax pic is a vintage McCarthy one, spruced up for this book.  I guess the layout, font, etc. were also down to Brendan as he had complete editorial control over this.  Personally, I think it looks great - but anyway, the contents are the main thing!
Indeed, the content is most important.

My issue is with the font, the positioning, the overall style of it. Just seems plastered on. It has nothing to do with the material or the excellent illustration. I think I will have a look at it tomorrow and then decide whether to buy but really trying to keep a limit on how much stuff I accumulate.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: ming on 13 September, 2013, 04:29:24 PM
As for the content, as I'm still waiting for my copy I'm not even sure what's made it in there.  Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

Didn't get a chance to pick up my copy today but I''ll try and do it tomorrow evening for you if no-one else has.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: ming on 13 September, 2013, 04:29:24 PM
I say go to the signing and tell Brendan your views on the cover... :lol:

Sooner or Later (partial)
Electric Hoax (ditto?)
Rogan Gosh
Skin
Paradax! (Strange Days story and the follow up, I guess)
Mirkin the Mystic
Freakwave (not sure if this includes the episodes from Vanguard)
Shade (covers, at least).
Misc. bits and bobs like the ensemble pic that appeared in Deadline...

Introduction by Mark Kardwell, of Robot6 blog
Paradax (3 stories from Strange Days)
Rogan Gosh (from Revolver)
The Electric Hoax (6 pages)
Freak Wave (First episode from Vanguard Illustrated #1)
Freak Wave (from Strange Days [spoiler]Ends abruptly?[/spoiler])
Paradax (1 story from Vortex Comics Paradax comic)
Roaring's Rantings (1 story from Vortex Comics Paradax comic)
Mirkin the Mystic
Summer of Love
The Hollow Circus (8 pages)
Sooner or Later (12 Pages)
Skin

Any questions?

Spikes

Had hoped this might have been in my local Waterstones today, but alas....

strontium_dog_90

I got my copy on Friday, and I'm working my way through it now. Trying to pace myself, to make it last, so I'm reading a story a day.

One thing that worries me is that I'd heard Rogan Gosh was impenetrable madness - but it made perfect sense to me! Does this mean I'm weird in some way?  :)

ming

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 14 September, 2013, 07:21:49 PM
Introduction by Mark Kardwell, of Robot6 blog
Paradax (3 stories from Strange Days)
Rogan Gosh (from Revolver)
The Electric Hoax (6 pages)
Freak Wave (First episode from Vanguard Illustrated #1)
Freak Wave (from Strange Days [spoiler]Ends abruptly?[/spoiler])
Paradax (1 story from Vortex Comics Paradax comic)
Roaring's Rantings (1 story from Vortex Comics Paradax comic)
Mirkin the Mystic
Summer of Love
The Hollow Circus (8 pages)
Sooner or Later (12 Pages)
Skin

Any questions?

Thanks for that.  I'm surprised only the first episode of Freakwave from Vanguard was included (the one ending with the introduction of Mickey Death, right?); the final (third) episode was fully painted by Brendan and has a typical Milliganesque ending.  Freakwave from Strange Days ending: [spoiler]this is very abrupt, with the transformation of the Drifter, so it sounds like that's complete[/spoiler].

I guess there are various extra bits and pieces - pin-ups, covers, etc.?

To be honest, if this just featured the Strange Days and Paradax! stories it would be well worth the price of admission; when you add in Skin, Rogan Gosh, etc. it's pretty indispensable.   And a complete Johnny Nemo is in the works too, which is great news.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 15 September, 2013, 07:06:36 PM
Quote from: ming on 15 September, 2013, 06:17:31 PM
Quote from: Ancient Otter on 14 September, 2013, 07:21:49 PM
  a complete Johnny Nemo is in the works too, which is great news.

Oh yes!  :D

Who, what, when... this is fantastic news. Where did you come across this gem? I treasure my old. Was it a Penguin edition... whatever, can't wait for this.