Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: Krakajac on 12 April, 2016, 10:16:42 PM
"He's on display in a bookshelf, in a cool room, out of direct sunlight."

Yep, mine is inside a display cabinet, in a cool room with no sunlight.  I put it down to the weather we sometimes get here in Queensland, Australia.  I'll keep my eye out for a 'new' one - but I'm not expecting to get one cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000ad-THARG-THE-MIGHTY-FIGURE-/182091952002?hash=item2a6586af82:g:RCYAAOSw~oFXDmAl

Mikey

Quote from: TheTooN on 14 April, 2016, 09:21:15 PM
Which leads me to Robo-Hunter.

See, I absolutely love the Sam figure! Probably my favourite of the 3A 1/12 so far.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TheTooN

He grew on me Mikey, but he would have been so much better with ankle artic. Sam doesnt even have a rotating foot, its just a lump of solid plastic from top of boot. I was shocked to see an action figure in 2016 without pivots/rockers.

He's a great looking figure if you want to keep him in the (beautiful) packaging or pop him on a shelf in a regular pose. I'm pushing 50 but still a big kid and cant leave these alone, love re-posing them and changing the display. There just isnt enough you can do with Sam which was and still is a disappointment despite how fantastic he looks.

teckno viking

ThreeA dp solid footwear on their figures at 1/12 & 1/6. Tis one lacking atra though then again Mezco did no better

TheTooN

If you had a copy of Sam in front of you for a couple minutes I'd be surprised if you'd say Mezco did no better with Dredd Jason.

Mezco Dredd has a rotating boot and foot, 8-10mm movement on the ankle pivot and 3-5mm on the ankle rocker. Not brilliant even against a modern £20 Marvel Legend but its 'just' enough and the boots still look great.

A solid foot on ANY action figure these days is inexcusable in my opinion, never mind at this price point.

Seasoned 3A collectors have told me its the norm but why accept it ? If Sam even had a rotating foot it would have helped a little but a solid boot ruins its poseability and thus its 'fun' factor. Even in a vanilla standing pose the soles of his feet dont sit flat and look daft.

Gregory said they will add artic where possible but he couldnt guarantee it on any figure designed by Ash. If he wants unbroken lines for aesthetics then thats what we'll get. If its one offs on unusual figures that would never be made otherwise I can cope with it but I still think its bang out of order in 2016.

If they do 1/6th at $200-300 a pop without full articulation I'll cry.

Dandontdare

Yikes, naked Robohunter yoga  :o

I'm not really that bothered about articulation, I'd happily trade it for good looks - Death may be limited in the poses, but I'd rather have that than obvious visible joints (eg boots with an ankle joint, rather than knees/elbows that are covered up). As they sit on a shelf rather than being played with, it's just not an issue for me. And IMHO 3A stuff looks far better than Mezco - Can't speak for the Dredd as it's not come yet (..but that's another gripe), but the Death is absolutely beautiful.

TheTooN

Its Sam I have a problem with Dandontdare. Death is beautiful, in a fetid decomposed kinda way ;) Artic on him is about spot on too, only gripes were limited torso twist due to the belt being glued to the figure (3A have improved the design from Dredd onwards) and lack of a wrist ball/joint. I can overlook both the same as I can forgive how delicate he is.

Death was so good It was a shock when Sam arrived in 'concrete boots'. Gregory has explained that Sam was designed with the intention of using existing components wherever possible to make it work financially. Designing a multi articulated boot may have cost too much and seen the line fall at the first hurdle. I'm fine with that and really appreciate the insight. I hope we never see them again tho !

Mezco managed to keep the good looks while providing enough articulation to keep folks like me happy. 3A managed it beautifully on Mongrol and again on Death. Sam was pretty but in 'action figure' terms a bit of a lame duck.

I collect statues as well as these 1/12th figures. If its a statue then its already in a beautiful pose. If its an action figure I want to be able to put it into a beautiful pose for pics and display. I just couldnt do that with Sam's boots.

Pete Wells

But Sam don't need no articulated ankles if he's locked in an eternal battle with a bit big robot (as he should be!)

TheTooN

Quote from: Pete Wells on 17 April, 2016, 07:11:10 PM
But Sam don't need no articulated ankles if he's locked in an eternal battle with a bit big robot (as he should be!)

Awesome pic Pete :) I'll have to give that a try with Mongrol.

teckno viking

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 April, 2016, 12:41:37 PM
Yikes, naked Robohunter yoga  :o

I'm not really that bothered about articulation, I'd happily trade it for good looks - Death may be limited in the poses, but I'd rather have that than obvious visible joints (eg boots with an ankle joint, rather than knees/elbows that are covered up). As they sit on a shelf rather than being played with, it's just not an issue for me. And IMHO 3A stuff looks far better than Mezco - Can't speak for the Dredd as it's not come yet (..but that's another gripe), but the Death is absolutely beautiful.

Valid point mate But as you stated it's not really that much of an improvement with Mezco.  Saying that I am going to take the foot off the boot and see if it can be modded on the MEZCO for greater articulation, moreso as I have TWO PX stripped down off the figure.

If I can will gladly share and all benefit.

As for the Sam when I DO get one I am planning adding ML feet and make Pleather Boots so articulation IS available from the feet.  With Dredd apparently being a New Body design, I guess we are waiting to see IF ThreeA do give articulation or not.

Dreddzilla

Just curious, but Has anybody had issues with their Death's Elbow straps popping off? Because it happened to mine the first time I adjusted his arms to test the articulation.

TheTooN

Never had an elbow pad come off yet. Arms legs and feet have minds of their own but elbows have behaved so far. Is it a peg on the elbow and a hole in the pad same as the shoulders ?

James Stacey

what the hell are you guys doing to your figs :) I've found Death quite robust.

Dreddzilla

Quote from: TheTooN on 21 April, 2016, 10:08:51 AM
Never had an elbow pad come off yet. Arms legs and feet have minds of their own but elbows have behaved so far. Is it a peg on the elbow and a hole in the pad same as the shoulders ?
Not the pad, the strap itself. The Elbow pad stays in place, but the straps I've had to glue twice!

Albion

Quote from: James Stacey on 21 April, 2016, 10:46:42 AM
what the hell are you guys doing to your figs :) I've found Death quite robust.

I was wondering this too as I've had no problems with Death or Sam Slade.
I guess I'm not playing with them enough.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.