Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Yeah, Dirk, that's terrible. Very sorry to hear that.

I hope you find something else soon. What sort of company is it?

- Trout

Dandontdare

Ah, bummer. Best of luck finding better paid and generally more fabulous employment in the new year.

Van Dom

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the words. I know I'm only one of many going through this very thing. Thing is, I remember this happening to my Dad in the 80s and because he ended up out of work for so long it ultimately destroyed his marriage and my parents ended up separating. Life was hell for me and my brother and sister back then. But it aint gonna happen here. The place is staying open til January 20th so at least it will see me through christmas. Then it will be decision time. Half thinking this is a great opportunity to "re-invent" myself. I've been in the printing industry for nearly 20 years and the printing industry is basically dead, so I need to do something different. The only other "skill" I have that I am half good at is speaking Japanese, and there are definitely opportunities there, but I am a good bit of being fluent so there is work to do. I would also need to get the JLPT 1 to have a chance at some jobs. So --- possibly head over to Japan for six months/a year, get into an advanced language course, immerse myself in it completely and really get a grip on it, then see what I can do with that. Means uprooting the kids from school, renting out the house and all but........maybe that's the way to go.

Thanks again for the support guys.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Van Dom on 28 November, 2011, 10:02:13 PM
I've been in the printing industry for nearly 20 years and the printing industry is basically dead, so I need to do something different.

I didn't know that - my dad set up a small scale printers and stationers in the late sixties, which my brother took over when he retired in the 90s. My mum, and later my sister-in-law, did the books, my aunty was the cleaner and there were about half a dozen other staff. I was often given "voluntary" (not) jobs in the school and uni holidays too, delivering, collating or weed clearing in the yard. The smell of litho ink sets off loads of memories for me.

Sadly, the firm went bust in 2006 and my brother, nearing 50, had to work for somebody else for the first time in his life. (not all bad though - he said to me "isn't it great to just be able to walk out at 5 o'clock?") When nobody wants to pay somebody else for invoices, order books, receipts, menus, business cards etc any more, business is hard.

COMMANDO FORCES

Sorry to hear about the bad news Van Dom.
I can only echo other people ideas but it looks as if you have already made your mind up which is a positive step forward. Perhaps this venture was always in the back of your mind and you just needed a slight push towards your end goal, this being it.
I wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do!

paddykafka

Just want to add my "Good Luck" to you as well, Van Dom. Hope things work out for the better.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Terrible news, Dirk. You have my sympathies, hopefully you'll find something else soon.

The Legendary Shark

Glad to hear you're positive, Van Dom, as one door closes and all that. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, fella.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mikey

That definitely spugs Dirk - but if you get the chance, jump for Japan! I'm sure the kids would love the change of scenery and who knows where it might lead?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

staticgirl

Awful news - I'm glad you have a back up skill you can develop!

johnnystress

After a dope in a truck destroyed my car and almost killed me my insurance is now 660 euros.  >:(

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

johnnystress

My current insurer is quoting 792

Roger Godpleton

Herman Cain suspended his campaign.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract