Main Menu

If it HAD to be a different artist...

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 13 September, 2020, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2020, 06:18:12 PM
Colin - I thought Rian Hughes was great on Robohunter too. Sam looked like Sam, and his kind of retro sci-fi architecture suited the strip nicely.

I'll back this one as well. The Hogan/Hughes Robo-Hunter was a worthy successor to the Wagner/Grant/Gibson stuff, especially welcome after the Millar/Various abominations we had to suffer.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hackenbush

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 September, 2020, 01:53:18 PM
Oh and I'd love to see Steve Yeowell do ABC Warriors. There's a specific feel to the Mighty Yeowell's robots and mechanoids and I'd love to see that refresh the ABC Warriors world and its inhabitants.

Take look at Maniac 5 for a preview of that ....

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2020, 02:23:08 PM
There was another guy who illustrated the Dan Abnett Past Imperfect where it turned out [redacted] - his stuff looked a bit like Arthur Ranson's and he'd have done a good job.

Barney suggests Dan never did a Past Imperfect, though there was a JFK one.

AlexF

If we're doing time-travel casting, I reckon Lee Carter would've done a really gnarly job on original Bad Company.
And I've an idea Jake Lynch could've had lots of fun with Ace Trucking.

Ron Smith on Halo Jones is inspired! Would've changed the tone from more darama to more comedy I reckon, but maybe that'd be no bad thing.

Anyone else who could've tackled Skizz? Jim Baikie did such a perfect job of welding kitchen sink to spy thriller to awesome alien design.
Simon Jacob on Armoured Gideon is another one where I cannot separate the art form the story; although I wonder if Clint Langley would've brought something to it.

Personally I like it when other artists - and on occasion other writers - are given a chance to play around on a strip. Sinister Dexter was fun in the very early days in large part because it went through so many art styles.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 September, 2020, 11:11:51 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2020, 06:18:12 PM
Colin - I thought Rian Hughes was great on Robohunter too. Sam looked like Sam, and his kind of retro sci-fi architecture suited the strip nicely.

I'll back this one as well. The Hogan/Hughes Robo-Hunter was a worthy successor to the Wagner/Grant/Gibson stuff, especially welcome after the Millar/Various abominations we had to suffer.

I liked Casanovas renditions - unfortunately I've not been keen to revisit that era of Slade's misadventures due to the obvious *

* Millar.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 14 September, 2020, 09:30:41 AM
If we're doing time-travel casting, I reckon Lee Carter would've done a really gnarly job on original Bad Company.

Speaking of inspired choices.

Quote from: AlexF on 14 September, 2020, 09:30:41 AM
Sinister Dexter was fun in the very early days in large part because it went through so many art styles.

This certainly suited the more episodic nature of the earlier stories. Especially with Simon Davis as a backbone for the longer ones. Just like Dredd its format really suited a variety. These days with the longer underpinning storylines I really like there to be a settled artist. So just re-reading the Anthony Williams stuff and I love him on the series and really hope Steve Yeowell is coming back as I've adored his run.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 14 September, 2020, 09:28:03 AM
There was another guy who illustrated the Dan Abnett Past Imperfect where it turned out [redacted] - his stuff looked a bit like Arthur Ranson's and he'd have done a good job.

Hmmm... there was definitely a [spoiler]Sinister Dexter[/spoiler] one, and I was almost sure it was by him.  Maybe he pulled a [spoiler]Dead Man / Malone / (sigh) The Vort[/spoiler] job and [spoiler]changed his name to throw the reader off?[/spoiler]

Skizz - Hmm, that's a tough one. Arthur Ranson, i think, could have played a blinder on the kitchen sink realism side of things; but I can also see Cam Kennedy in Bogey Man mode doing a good job.

Lee Carter on BAD Company and Langley on Gideon?  Yeah, why not?

Bix Barton (which I liked, anyway) - Roger Langridge, maybe, or am I going too cartoony there?  Andrew Curry could have done the Carry On one anyway (big tits and perfect caricatures, see).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

I'd say Dave D'Antiquis for Button Man. His work on Brigand Doom was amazing.
In fact, I think he may have been an even better fit for the strip than Ranson.

I'd also like to see Bryan Talbot take on Strontium Dog - I think he'd be a great fit for the strip.

JamesC

Eric Bradbury would've nailed Skizz - it's not a million miles away from Doomlord in many respects.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 September, 2020, 10:28:43 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 14 September, 2020, 09:28:03 AM

Hmmm... there was definitely a [spoiler]Sinister Dexter[/spoiler] one, and I was almost sure it was by him.  Maybe he pulled a [spoiler]Dead Man / Malone / (sigh) The Vort[/spoiler] job and [spoiler]changed his name to throw the reader off?[/spoiler]

Think it was a Vector 13?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 September, 2020, 10:34:23 AM

Aha! Yeah, you're right. Past Imperfect didn't exist then.

D'Antiquis on Button Man! Best suggestion yet.  I'd love to see it - he was excellent in colour too; I remember one Terror Tale he did in colour and it was truly chilling - was it by Mark Millar?  I thought Millar was pretty good with standalone stories; it was the house characters that were dodgy.  Anyway, I digress  - where is Dave D'Antichrist these days?  Dom Reardon is carrying on his spikily-monochrome legacy quite nicely.

Bradbury on Skizz I can see too; an obvious choice now you say it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 September, 2020, 12:00:15 PM

Heading back to the cause for looking in to it - Barney's list of Vector 13 stories has the following artists working with Dan:

• Sean Phillips (Marion)
  • Nigel Dobbyn (Echo Location)
  • Kevin Cullen (Danse Macabre)
  • Nick Percival (Shadrach)
  • John Ridgway (A Salver in the Heavens, World at War)
  • Mike Perkins (Blackout)
  • Mick Austin (Parts and Labour)
  • Paul Marshall (The Sad Child)
  • Chris Weston (Side Step)
  • Alex Ronald (Cryptogram)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 14 September, 2020, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 September, 2020, 12:00:15 PM

Heading back to the cause for looking in to it - Barney's list of Vector 13 stories has the following artists working with Dan:

• Sean Phillips (Marion)
  • Nigel Dobbyn (Echo Location)
  • Kevin Cullen (Danse Macabre)
  • Nick Percival (Shadrach)
  • John Ridgway (A Salver in the Heavens, World at War)
  • Mike Perkins (Blackout)
  • Mick Austin (Parts and Labour)
  • Paul Marshall (The Sad Child)
  • Chris Weston (Side Step)
  • Alex Ronald (Cryptogram)

Fair play to you, Sheridan!  Still can't work out who it was though.  Sinister Dexter was in the prog too, and I think the cover was a montage job of Vector 13 and Sinister Dexter by Steve Sampson.

Colin YNWA

Think I got it

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=1070

Knew I'd be able to spot the cover on good ol' Barney. The artist is one I don't know

Allan Bednar as Neal Brand

JayzusB.Christ