Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

shaolin_monkey

Everything we have been warned about over the last four years is likely to come to pass.

1) Flow rates of medicines and medical products "could initially reduce to 60-80% over three months which, if unmitigated, would impact on the supply of medicines and medical products across the UK".

2) "Protests and counter-protests will take place across the UK and may absorb significant amounts of police resources. There may also be a rise in public disorder and community tensions."

3) "EU and UK fishers could clash over the lost access to historic fishing grounds, and there could be a significant uplift in illegal fishing activities."

4) "Competing demands on UK government and devolved administration maritime agencies and their assets could put [maritime security] enforcement and response capabilities at risk."

5) There will be "reduced [food] supply availability, especially of certain fresh products" and "supply of some critical dependencies for the food supply chain... could be reduced".
6) "Low income groups will be disproportionately affected by any price rises in food and fuel."

7) "Border delays, tariffs and new regulatory barriers/costs may result in disruption to supply of critical chemicals used in the UK... leading to the disruption of essential services (such as food, energy, water and medicine). Economic factors could result in some chemicals suppliers reducing operations or closing."

8. "Border delays could affect local fuel disruption. There will not be wider national-level oil shortage."

9) There is a risk of a reduction in the supply of medicines for UK veterinary use which "would reduce our ability to prevent and control disease outbreaks, with potential detrimental impacts for animal health and welfare, the environment, wider food safety/availability and zoonotic disease control which can directly impact human health".

10) "Between 40-70% of trucks travelling to the EU might not be ready for new border controls. This could reduce flow across the short channel crossing to 60-80% of normal levels with maximum queues of 7,000 trucks in Kent and delays of two days. The worst disruption would subside within three months".

11) The transition from "internal security cooperation with the EU" to "non-EU mechanisms" may not be smooth and seamless and may "result in a mutual reduction in capability to tackle crime and terrorism".

12) Around one in 20 local authorities are at risk of financial collapse as a result of higher service demand caused by a disruptive EU exit.

...and more:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-06/the-12-reasonable-worst-case-outcomes-if-brexit-talks-collapse

IndigoPrime

Does this include the second—and not predicted—issue with distribution, in that EU drivers just don't want to come to the UK? There is apparently a massive shortfall in people, because drivers tend to be paid by the km and so sitting in queues is a big no.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 December, 2020, 09:07:29 PM
Does this include the second—and not predicted—issue with distribution, in that EU drivers just don't want to come to the UK? There is apparently a massive shortfall in people, because drivers tend to be paid by the km and so sitting in queues is a big no.

That isn't mentioned, and it appears to have taken Freight Forwarders in the U.K. by surprise. 99% of hauliers are from EU countries, and they have said that the costs and delays of transporting in and out of U.K. will make it unviable.

Check out this dude on James O'Brien's show talking about it:

https://youtu.be/S-Z04srnd_8

Funt Solo

In a world beyond satire: Georgia declares Biden winner for a third time

Keep counting them until you get the right answer. Kind of how I felt after Twaxit, and the Indyref.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 06 December, 2020, 09:34:58 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 December, 2020, 09:07:29 PM

That isn't mentioned, and it appears to have taken Freight Forwarders in the U.K. by surprise. 99% of hauliers are from EU countries, and they have said that the costs and delays of transporting in and out of U.K. will make it unviable.

I'm not sure surprise is quite the right word.  I've seen loads of adverts around telling businesses to prepare.  Though notably after four years the ads don't say exactly what to prepare for, there not being a plan published yet.

IndigoPrime

PREPARE for food shortages!

PREPARE for 80% drops in medicine provision!

PREPARE for the media and govt to blame all of this on the EU!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 December, 2020, 10:56:35 PM

Keep counting them until you get the right answer. Kind of how I felt after Twaxit, and the Indyref.

I still can't get my head around the fact that 80% of Trump voters think the election was rigged, when it's being disproved on a daily basis. But hey, the great leader said it, so it must be true. This is North Korea shit.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 December, 2020, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 December, 2020, 10:56:35 PM

I still can't get my head around the fact that 80% of Trump voters think the election was rigged, when it's being disproved on a daily basis. But hey, the great leader said it, so it must be true. This is North Korea shit.

It is bananas - the story I linked to is essentially all friendly fire politics anyway - there are no Democrats left involved in the argument there. It's Republican believers vs. non-believers. Another amazing quote from the Trumpet*: "I'd be a gracious loser ... if I'd lost!"

And nobody wants to be too rude to the shit-flinging, entirely nude emperor because they still see him as either their ruination or their elevation, based on his being supported by a loud minority of (try to be kind, try to be kind) ... voters.

America is such a fucking weird nation. From the heights of intellectual wit and easy bonhomie to the depths of moronic depravity, it sails. On it sails.

*Our savior, helping bar the Gates of the great reset.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 December, 2020, 10:48:07 AM
PREPARE for food shortages!

PREPARE for 80% drops in medicine provision!

PREPARE for the media and govt to blame all of this on the EU!

PREPARE for Leave voters to blame it all on Remainers! Oh hang on, they're doing that already, sorry.

Leigh S

To be fair, we didn't believe enough in Britain and now it is sad and unable to negotiate....

Funt Solo

A person who used to be on the board of a large and successful corporation, who didn't like sharing power and so resigned. He now waits downstairs, on the street, outside the front door. Whenever any of the board members leave the building he approaches them, shaking his collection tin and demanding his cut of the profits, with his "Take Back Control" t-shirt, frayed, stained and smelling of desperation.

Great Britain*!

* I mean, they didn't even watch The Godfather! Never tell your enemies what you're thinking, Boris!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 December, 2020, 05:49:20 PMPREPARE for Leave voters to blame it all on Remainers! Oh hang on, they're doing that already, sorry.

To be fair, we lost the referendum not once but twice, had the government in deadlock so they couldn't actually do anything and pissed that away, and then we rehabilitated Tony Blair for some reason.  All Remainers had to do was not call every Leaver a thick racist for four years straight or get bogged down in entirely-manufactured wedge issues, and we fucked it.  We fucked it good.

Funt Solo

It was weird, finding myself agreeing with both Tony Blair and Michael Heseltine.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 December, 2020, 07:59:57 PMTo be fair, we lost the referendum not once but twice
Eh?

[quote[had the government in deadlock so they couldn't actually do anything and pissed that away[/quote]
No arguments on that. The IVs were also a shitshow, but by that point we were already fucked anyway. May's obsession in killing FOM (and enough of Labour enabling that position) forced Brexit into the disaster zone.

Ultimately, post-Brexit, we really had two chances to avoid ruin. The first would have been Labour going in hard with SM-based Brexit, and stating it would support the Tories. Long shot, but it would have been an option to "get Brexit done" and unify the country. But Labour wobbled about the SM all the way.

Then the IVs potentially gave us an out, by which time everyone apart from the Tories were sitting into their own camps, abstaining or voting against anything they didn't come up with. So we had CU absurdly lose by three votes (thanks, soft Tories and Greens!), 2nd ref lose by a smallish number (thanks, Labour!) and CM2 get a kicking by a number that was easily overturned (thanks, TIG!), before enough parties got taken in by their own hubris (thanks, Lib Dems!) or agenda (thanks, SNP!) and obliterated an independent and genuinely interesting parliament to usher in the current shitshow.