Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 11 September, 2013, 05:20:49 AM... do you believe the Bible is inerrant, infallible, and divinely inspired?  If not, you're not a Christian, period...

I don't think idolatry is the counter-argument you think it is.
The bible isn't Christ, the bible is just a book, and even the devil can quote it.  Christ on the other hand was a person who acted according to his conscience even when it contradicted his own religion or the opinions of fundamentalist morons who presumed to speak for all others.  He had to navigate his life and actions as he saw fit because all the scriptures of the time were outdated or at odds with science, and so Christ took responsibility for himself and didn't hide behind the words of some 8000 year old hick who endorsed slavery and stoning women, he took only the good from scripture and left the bad and to me these will always be the actions of a true Christian, but sadly, there are not enough people calling themselves Christian who fit the description - most just hide behind the label when appropriate to excuse their own shortcomings.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 11 September, 2013, 05:20:49 AMBlessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

Is that God-time or Man-time? cos I'm on a schedule and half the elderly I used to know are dead all ready.

TordelBack

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 September, 2013, 12:20:13 PM
Meanwhile in the real world, turns out that John Pilger still has it:  http://johnpilger.com/articles/from-hiroshima-to-syria-the-enemy-whose-name-we-dare-not-speak

Great article. If only we could get more journalism of this calibre from our media in general.

Tiplodocus

I don't often post here because it makes you all seem mental.

But that John Pilger thing is great.

By strange coincidence, I was helping Tiny Tips with his homework tonight and it was all about the American constitution. Talk about forgetting what your mission statement was. Or don't all those rights apply to Johnny Foreigner?

Oh and Beaky, I thought you might have had the decency to stay fucked off when you said you were fucking off forever.  I wonder if your "forever" in Heaven will be so short.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Prodigal on 11 September, 2013, 10:08:52 AM
Beaky insulting someone in the deepest sense you can think of and then signing off "God bless you prodigal my friend" doesn't really work for me or I suspect most people.

I could say an awful lot more but I am in no mood to turn this into a Prodigal and Beaky pantomime. I really didn't join this place with the intention of wilfully irritating the good people of this forum whose internet company I have rather enjoyed.

Prodigal, you're one of the best, you really are.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Reading people getting on makes me feel bad for my rushed and inconsistent rant a few pages back... :-\

The Prodigal

Good article by the Chomsky chap on the Syrian situation:

http://m.democracynow.org/stories/13880

NapalmKev

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23914519

Al-Qaeda, lego Star Wars, Darth Vader, and 50 shades of Grey.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

TordelBack

Quote"If we were a different country, we might have taken him out and shot him," says a spokesman for the Guantanamo detention facility, Capt Robert Durand, during the hearing.

Whereas if you were the same country you might have summarily executed him and members of his family and community with a drone strike; or secretly abducted, abused and tortured him; or conspired to have him overthrown and beaten to death in the street by some other group of fundamentalist nutters; or just held him without trial indefinitely in some kind of sub-tropical version of Kafka.  Please do us all a favour and stop pretending you're wearing the white hats here, we're all fucking sick of it.  Just do whatever it is serves your economic ends best and shut up while you're doing it.

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 September, 2013, 04:22:08 PM
Quote"If we were a different country, we might have taken him out and shot him," says a spokesman for the Guantanamo detention facility, Capt Robert Durand, during the hearing.

Whereas if you were the same country you might have summarily executed him and members of his family and community with a drone strike; or secretly abducted, abused and tortured him; or conspired to have him overthrown and beaten to death in the street by some other group of fundamentalist nutters; or just held him without trial indefinitely in some kind of sub-tropical version of Kafka.  Please do us all a favour and stop pretending you're wearing the white hats here, we're all fucking sick of it.  Just do whatever it is serves your economic ends best and shut up while you're doing it.

Hammer + Nail = TordelBack