Main Menu

The Expanse

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 19 December, 2015, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Blimey! And that episode 5 chasing Eros is some of the best and most affecting  telly I've seen since the Season 4 Walking Dead episode The Grove.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 March, 2019, 12:29:21 PM
Blimey! And that episode 5 chasing Eros is some of the best and most affecting  telly I've seen since the Season 4 Walking Dead episode The Grove.

That episode is SO good!

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

shaolin_monkey

Funt Solo

Antagonist: "Someday you and I are going to end up bloody."
Amos: "I'm free right now!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Mrs IP: "So when did this series suddenly become Stargate?"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 November, 2019, 09:06:39 AM
Mrs IP: "So when did this series suddenly become Stargate?"

End of last season — do keep up! :-)

Funt Solo

I dipped my toe into season 4 by binge-watching the entire thing. I remember the next book feeling a bit weak, so it'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

The Kevin Smith recap is worth a watch.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rara Avis

Just started watching this and blazed through all 5 seasons in a week. It's so good!

Amos definitely has the best lines, I thought nothing could top "I *am* that guy" but then he went and did this:

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 November, 2019, 06:01:18 AM
Antagonist: "Someday you and I are going to end up bloody."
Amos: "I'm free right now!"

Tjm86

Of all the characters in the Expanse Amos is by far the most intriguing.  There is a barely restrained feral dimension that he lets loose like a finely honed weapon.  The effect is devastating.  Yet at the same time there is a morality that tempers it.

What I've found most interesting though is the way he has personally internalised that control.  At the outset Naomi was his 'governor'.  There were times when even she struggled to keep him in check.  Now he uses force just enough to make his point, only fully unleashing it on those he considers truly contemptible.

broodblik

Yes, I am in total agreement. Amos started out almost like a blunt instrument but his moral compass what can and what cannot be done gives his character a real edge over the rest of the cast. I also like Bobbie Draper a no-nonsense character.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rara Avis

Interesting take but I don't think he has his own morality; he's painfully aware that he doesn't know right from wrong. Naomi wasn't his governor she was his moral compass.

If you are up to date on Season 5 you get a lot more of his backstory and it's heartbreaking without being whimsical. His anger and inabilty to connect emotionally (even with himself) are totally understandable.

IndigoPrime

In the most recent episode, there were [spoiler]questions about his ability to keep his immoral side in check. [/spoiler]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rara Avis on 11 January, 2021, 07:17:05 PM
Interesting take but I don't think he has his own morality; he's painfully aware that he doesn't know right from wrong. Naomi wasn't his governor she was his moral compass.

Very much my take on the character, too. He's a hair's breadth from being a psychopath, in as much he's only able to feel empathy for a very few people and everyone else... well, God help them if they're in his way, or a threat to those few he does value.

Rara Avis

Yes, exactly. You could argue that he's amoral but he does seem to care about what's right / good and wrong / bad. He just can't tell the difference between what needs to be done and the right thing to do. He's at a loss when these are in conflict which is why he looks to Naomi and Holden for guidance. He's a brillaint depicted character - he has all the tropes of the badass psycho but this conflict gives him huge depth.

On a side note; how does he maintain his physique in zero gravity?

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 January, 2021, 07:48:11 PM
In the most recent episode, there were [spoiler]questions about his ability to keep his immoral side in check. [/spoiler]