Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

I don't think in terms of a reset button, but that's my instinctive answer.
To be perfectly honest, 1985 wasn't the best of years, but there was nothing really bad about it.
The prog was good that year, I liked what was in the charts, and I wasn't doing anyone any harm.

I always think that if someone put a gun to my head and told me that I had to pick one calendar year of my life to relive exactly as it had been, I'd say, 'Pull the trigger, tough guy.'
If, on the other hand, some official looked through the paperwork, sighed, and told me that it was out of his hands, that rules were rules, and that I'd have to relive one year, I might rant and rail for a bit, but then I'd just give in and say, 'Nineteen eighty-five.'
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

No. The future cannot be found in the past, only informed by it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 October, 2022, 01:20:32 PM
if there was a reset button would you hit it? when would you go back to?

Could I keep the mind I have now or would I go back to the person I was then? 

If it's the former, then it's about 1995 for me.  Still young and fresh-faced, and just getting over the shyness that had crippled me before that.  Best mate still alive, no major regrets in life.

If the latter, then no thanks. There's a lot of shit I wouldn't like to go through again. Pretty much all of it was a product of my own flawed mindset, so no, I don't want that mindset again.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was stronger
The can-can, such a pretty show
Steals your heart away
But backstage back on earth again
The dressing rooms are gray
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

See, if you could go back and insert your now-mind into your younger self, then you're effectively stealing the body of your younger self and therefore effectively murdering them.

Should this be on the philosophy thread?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 October, 2022, 06:16:25 PM
See, if you could go back and insert your now-mind into your younger self, then you're effectively stealing the body of your younger self and therefore effectively murdering them.

Should this be on the philosophy thread?

That brings in a time paradox. Since you've killed your past self at whatever point of time, you lose all experience and knowledge beyond that point, so effectively nothing would change.

In fact, this could have already happened to you and you would have no way of knowing.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Furthermore, your Now Self would no longer be your Now Self because it would become your Now Self + X years, so you wouldn't only be murdering your Then Self but your Now Self as well...

My brain 'urts.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Maybe Quantum Leap has the answer*: Whenever Sam leapt into a body, he was essentially doing a Freaky-Friday** with his victim subject across the space-time continuum. So you could go back and swap your brain with your teenage self, and redo things better; but all your current friends and family would wonder why you've gone all gormless and surly. Or assume some form of alzheimers.

*Lets be honest, when does Quantum Leap NOT have the answer?
**Again, never not relevant
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry to steer wildly off-topic - I know how important it is on this thread to stick to one subject - but I'm starting to wonder if anyone at all identified as a Chip-ite.  If you were a Whiz-kid your leader was a suave, good-looking kid with an intelligent snake like Steve McClaren has, while a Chip-ite only had a shorts-wearing anachronism with a shit haircut whose only gimmick was that he lost fights all the time.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

I had no horse in that race, but I can easily imagine many who'd have sided with the scrappy underdog over the self-satisfied git who owned his own snake.
After all, who in those days had never known the anguish of a shit haircut?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

Fair point.  However, you've undermined it somewhat by using the expression 'scrappy underdog', which has made everyone* here make a mental connection to another cartoon character that should have been killed with fire immediately after his unnecessary introduction to a perfectly good TV show.

*Yes, everyone.  They told me.

JohnW

It was an unfortunate choice of words for which I can only apologise.
I had no intention whatsoever of recalling memories which you, or any of the readers of this thread, would naturally find painful.
But that reminds me:
I lost the badges and the wallet, I have forgotten the passwords, but I paid my dues (30p postal order IIRC) back in the day.
So am I or am I not still a member of the Dennis the Menace Fan Club?

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 October, 2022, 04:09:58 PM
'scrappy underdog'

I'll see your Scrappy Doo and raise you an ET made starting up a D&D club cool. Then, this happened...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JohnW

And this is where I pretend I was never here.

*sidles off, talking loudly about girls and football*

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JWare on 23 October, 2022, 04:33:56 PM
It was an unfortunate choice of words for which I can only apologise.
I had no intention whatsoever of recalling memories which you, or any of the readers of this thread, would naturally find painful.
But that reminds me:
I lost the badges and the wallet, I have forgotten the passwords, but I paid my dues (30p postal order IIRC) back in the day.
So am I or am I not still a member of the Dennis the Menace Fan Club?

My friend, you voted to leave it in 2016.  Don't start complaining now that you can't enjoy the benefits of it. 

Oh wait, hang on.