Main Menu

New 2000AD Audios

Started by judgeurko, 14 February, 2021, 11:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modern Panther

Been listening to Brink.  I'm disappointed to say that I don't think this works.

The footsteps really annoy me.  Because the dialogue is lifted straight from a visual medium, its signalled that characters are on the move by having the sound of foot steps...so two characters are chatting in a busy environment and "clunk clunk clunk" here comes someone else.

Brink is a story I love, but it just doesn't fit the format.  Bridge shooting a guy in an early episode is a massive deal in the comic...here, its a messy sound effect and you don't know it happened until several minutes into the next scene.

It loses its power. So much of Brink is about the power of words and ideas, about how words can do real harm, so we have to be protected from curses, and certain syllables can make a person sick.  On the page, where letters can sit alongside runes that symbolise alien concepts, that makes sense.  Put on accents repeating "Phase Corozon"  and it stops being an interesting idea.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Have just finished Brink Book Two, and am pleased to say that it worked a lot better than the first. While there're still some dodgy accents, Nina Sosanya saves everything with her basically spot-on portrayl of Bridget Kurtis. Skeleton Life is a particular favourite of mine, and I think they captured the particular atmosphere and distressing weirdness of the Habitat very well.

I am now very much looking forward to Book Three.

SBT

DrRocka

Happy to report that Slaine - The Horned God works incredibly well as an adaptation. Setting it in Slaine's native Ireland with an Irish cast is a wonderful idea, and just about everybody concerned sounds committed to bringing it to life.

Any issues are generally the same as the original text - endless exposition at the beginning, bringing the reader/listener up to date with previous adventures. It's generally made clear what's occurring, though, and it's begging for a visual version. I've not read the comic for a couple of years (since the first hachette volume), but I reckon you could enjoy this without having read the source material. RECOMMENDED.

Reckon I'll give Brink a wide berth, judging by the comments here...Halo Jones or America next for me, as soon as my next Audible credit rolls around...
Never ever bloody anything ever

JayzusB.Christ

I've only listened to the 5-minute sample of The Pit on Audible; as hearing an actor do Dredd's voice always fascinates me.  I really didn't like Toby Longworth's version - he just sounded like someone trying to be hard - and whoever played Dredd in the old radio plays somehow thought Dredd needed to sound like a 1940s mob henchman. 

But I like this new version - not trying to sound forcedly hard or gravelly, just commanding and well-spoken.  More like the politician that Dredd needs to be now and again. 

For my money, nobody got Dredd's voice like Karl Urban - exactly the right mix of Clint Eastwood growliness and commanding barks.  The next best for me, oddly, was a very old 80s or 90s Dredd coin-op arcade game.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Re Brink, while I had issues with the first Book and indeed the whole format- i have to report that Book Three is superb. If you remember, in the comic there was a minor kerfuffle over the swearing being blacked out (book for introduced the One Dollar Fine, seemingly as a reaction to this). In the audio version, everyone swears with great abandon, and it is wonderful. David Warner, playing Tillerson, is particularly good (as Warner always is) and he really makes the most of a great script.

As before there are problems with the process of *ignoring the art*- Kurtis' long walk through the Hab on her day off in order to shake any tails is a few seconds long on audio and absolutely nothing is made of the holographic walls behind which staff are expected to hide when in the Big Space. It's not even mentioned- they appear to just 'step back', which makes a nonsense of the scene where Kurtis and Gentry are surprised during their first covert meeting.

But on the whole I've not enjoyed an audio as much as Brink in years.

SBT

JayzusB.Christ

I've just listened to an hour of The Horned God.  Good stuff so far - I almost wish I hadn't read the GNs so many times I know the story by heart.  Good call on the Irish accents too.  North-of-the-border Sláine and Cathbad - why the hell not.  Perfect traditional Irish storyteller voice for Ukko too. 

They pronounce Sláine like most readers, and Pat Mills, do - fine by me.  I've always pronounced it the Irish way, but have been flipping between them recently as the internet has provided more and more fan and creator videos and audios.  Also I only found out recently that Rudraige is actually the name Rory, but I'd forgotten till I listened to this.

Great incidental music and sound effects too.  Slough Feg sounds perfect - just the right mix of frail eunuch and delusional bombast.  And Medb is Yara Greyjoy!  She does the accent perfectly.

Obviously there's no avoiding listening to this with a constant mental stream of Bisley paintings in my head.  Wonder what a nonscrot type would make of it?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

'Scuse the double post, but I've just finished The Horned God.  Yep, well worth a listen - I really enjoyed hearing what all these characters might sound like.  The star of the show is Slough Feg - he's absolutely nailed that odd mix of geriatric weirdo and self-important braggart (though wouldn't he have a French accent instead of an Irish one? Of course I realise nobody back then would sound anything close to what anybody sounds like now.  Whenever 'back then' was). 

Ukko's voice is spot on for the storytelling old man side of things, but a bit too posh for the pervy little thief in the story itself.  Though maybe nobody outside of Ireland could spot the poshness; in which case fair enough. Some of the accents are Lug-awful ('Quane Nave to see ye, soire') but only from the smallest of bit-parts so it really doesn't make a difference.  And the music is bleeding fantastic.

I really wish I could know what it's like to listen to this with no prior knowledge of the story - for example, without having seen the strip, there's no possible way a listener could realise [spoiler]exactly where Feg is skewered by Sláine's gae bolga, even though it's kind of essential to understand the full nastiness of the goddess's joke.[/spoiler]

Bad Andy

Have the Halo Jones one a go. It's alright, you know?

Actress playing Halo is pitch perfect. And how they did Glyph was great, although it wasn't entirely clear what happened to her at the end with Toby.

It just feels as if it's perhaps too fast as an audio compared to the comic.

Again, not sure how easy it is to follow without knowledge of the story

Would definitely listen to this again.

Colin YNWA

Interesting to see the news in the Thrillmail that the new audio adaptions are coming out from Penguin. Some interesting choices too and be intrigues to see what folks think about them.

https://2000ad.com/news/new-audio-adaptations-of-2000-ad-classics-announced-by-penguin-random-house/?mc_cid=8698e40027&mc_eid=84ec3f1c5a

Line up is:

DREDD: ORIGINS
DREDD v DEATH
JUDGE ANDERSON: SHAMBALLA
ROGUE TROOPER: WELCOME TO NU-EARTH
NEMESIS THE WARLOCK

Getting books 1-4 of Nemesis will be quite something!

Dash Decent

Finally, a Rogue Trooper audio.

Now I might be in...
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

rogue69

Audible has the release date as 8-9-22 regular price £25.99 members price £7.99 or 1 credit each

Dash Decent

Okay, for anyone who's heard the Slaine audio... how do they pronounce "Slaine"?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

rogue69

It's pronounced Slaine not SLAW-nyuh in the audio

judgeurko

having listened to a couple of these i do not think they worked. Too faithful to source. It is being adapted into another medium so needs changes or hard to follow.

rogue69