Main Menu

Prog 2323: The Out

Started by IndigoPrime, 13 March, 2023, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Let's first take a moment to breathe in that cover. Wow. And then another moment to look at a contents page that doesn't include Joe Pineapples. Phew. But how does everything else stack up?

Dredd barrels along and suggests explanations are coming. The Out again lacks space for a Harrison megapic, but wallops you a couple of times in the feels. The Future Shock was quite obvious, but worked really well in terms of structure, with that DPS and a single page either side.

The Order has for me veered back towards baffling. This must be incomprehensible to newcomers. But it will at least conclude. And Proteus Vex is another masterclass that for me this week pips The Out. In all, nothing bad, and an awful lot of good.

Vex > The Out > Dredd > Future Shock > The Order

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

The first time I saw the original Star Wars movie poster I was instantly drawn into it; you must see the movie. This cover has that same feeling, read me, read me. Awesome

IndigoPrime

I mean, it's surely the cover of the second collection. Got to be.

Barrington Boots

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the 'StarWarsness' of this cover. Cyd looks very Carrie Fisher-esque here as well - I wouldn't be surprised if she was the reference here. I've thought this series of The Out has Cyd looking a lot more photo reference-y (if that makes sense) at times tbh.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

Anyway, I got this Prog Saturday and just want to say what a glorious treat that was to start my weekend with.

On the Prog itself:

Dredd this isn't my favourite recent Dredd tale but there's nothing wrong with it at all. Next episode needs an explanation rather than more pages of business dudes killing each other. I really liked the opening page, and the accounts judge being in a firefight as part of his audit. The axe murderer dude, despite looking more like a 'classic' MC1 weirdo, looks a bit out of place here which is ironic given some of us have been moaning everyone looks too contemporary.

The Out Absolutely beautiful episode, big plot advance, really loving this. Not as bothered as perhaps I should be by the final page?

Future Shock Really nicely done FS. Cool stuff.

The Order It all seems to be moving a bit quickly now doesn't it? I'm usually alright with following The Order but the last couple of epsiodes are moving at such a clip I'm starting to lose it a bit and I admit I'm a bit confused about The Shadows and liked it better when it was all wurms. Good to see Bacon again as I feel we've spent ages with Belair and not enough time with the other, better characters. That panel with the severed head is the first time in ages I've seen a frame in the Prog and recoiled slightly - horrible (excellent) work!

Proteus Vex Just amazing!

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 13 March, 2023, 09:51:08 AMI'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the 'StarWarsness' of this cover. Cyd looks very Carrie Fisher-esque here as well - I wouldn't be surprised if she was the reference here. I've thought this series of The Out has Cyd looking a lot more photo reference-y (if that makes sense) at times tbh.

Yeah I got this as soon as I saw this cover on Facebook (or Thrilmail - wherever) makes Cyd look very unCyd unfortunately otherwise this would be an ace cover.

Tomwe

Cyd's 'bangs' in book one always made me think it was Claudia Winkleman that was Harrison's reference.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tomwe on 13 March, 2023, 10:19:16 AMCyd's 'bangs' in book one always made me think it was Claudia Winkleman that was Harrison's reference.

I always thought she was modelled on Julia Bradbury for some reason, but Claudia Winkleman is a good call!

broodblik

This is now the second cover of The Out that is just plain brilliant. As with the previous The Out cover it will make a beautiful print.

Carrie Fisher for me guys

broodblik

A good prog. This round we have a fiver with both The Out and Vex the standouts.

Dredd – I am enjoying this but maybe this episode is too focused on the action but I can see that we moving to the reveal. Enjoying Manco's art here.

The Out – This was an excellent episode, lovely written and just pulls you in. Some interesting revelations that will have a major impact on Cyd.

Shock – A good shocker although when you are at a certain part you can almost guess the ending, still well done.

The Order – Rattles along at a blistering pace. It looks like the Americas part is resolved the next target is Bacon (we have not seen him for a long time, and I can understand why people feel confused)

Proteus Vex – Vex is heading to its finale next week and everything is set up for a grand showdown. Just brilliant. Hint, hint nudge, nudge for the creative team maybe start working on either book 5 or a spin-off on Midnight.

IndigoPrime

It'd be interesting to see how The Order hangs together on a straight read-through. Red Seas felt like a mess – albeit an intriguing one – due to big gaps and loads of narrative threads. Then I read it in the UC and it came across very well. I hope that'll be the same for The Order, when I get time to do the same.

broodblik

That will always be the problem with long-running series (especially when its over years) with a lot of characters and plot threads. Should read better in one big volume (hopefully we will be able to get one)

73north

my take on the Prog

Dredd - so far pretty good - moving on nicely - 4 stars

The Out - the highlight of the Prog along with Proteus Vex , fabulous ( and loved the cover )
5 stars

Future Shock - very well done and an original story . 5 stars

The Order - 1star - glad some are enjoying this strip - for me , stopped following it a while ago

Proteus Vex - I am always highly impressed with this original and engaging strip
- PLUS the art and story direction are simply first class ( and have been since the start
( 6 STARS )