Main Menu

John Wagner topic - can we have some more, please?

Started by PsychoGoatee, 12 January, 2019, 10:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 07 August, 2023, 02:01:52 PM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 07 August, 2023, 05:36:19 AMAny Wagner news in 2023 so far?

There's been a successful kickstarter this year for a collection of Bogey Man strips including a new one by JW and Ron Smith.

Robin Smith surely? Either way up I'll be a happy squaxx.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 August, 2023, 02:06:13 PMRobin Smith surely? Either way up I'll be a happy squaxx.

A new Ron Smith strip would be quite a coup... :(

But, yes, a new strip by John and Robin, plus I've re-lettered the whole of the 56-page "Casablanca" story, because the chaps weren't really happy with original lettering.

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: davidbishop on 25 January, 2023, 07:02:20 AMISTR being present for the conversation with the shop staff where the Bowie comment arose. The JoG queue was massive. It might even have gone round the block at one stage.

The Virgin Megastore near the corner of TCR?  Pretty big block for a queue*!

*Queue E 2 notwithstanding

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 August, 2023, 02:17:55 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 August, 2023, 02:06:13 PMRobin Smith surely? Either way up I'll be a happy squaxx.

A new Ron Smith strip would be quite a coup... :(

But, yes, a new strip by John and Robin, plus I've re-lettered the whole of the 56-page "Casablanca" story, because the chaps weren't really happy with original lettering.

Now I'm trying to picture what a Ron Smith Bogie Man would look like. Pretty amazing, in my imagination at least.

Looking forward to the return anyway. He's a character in a million. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Blue Cactus

Apologies, of course it's Robin Smith. I'm very tired today. I'm looking forward to this collection. I think I've only read that one BM strip that was printed in the Meg, so the earlier stuff is all new to me. Very glad this Kickstarter was more of a success than the last Rok. I think John said that was partly down to now having the social media promotion it needed, which had been much improved for the Bogie Collection. So there's a chance this might give Rok series 3 a chance to go ahead.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 07 August, 2023, 10:30:38 PMSo there's a chance this might give Rok series 3 a chance to go ahead.

John was very positive about this by the end of Lawless this year, so I think this is quite likely to happen... although it will obviously be dependent on getting the necessary alignment of his and Dan's work schedules.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

alphadogau

Quote from: sheridan on 07 August, 2023, 02:22:20 PM
Quote from: davidbishop on 25 January, 2023, 07:02:20 AMISTR being present for the conversation with the shop staff where the Bowie comment arose. The JoG queue was massive. It might even have gone round the block at one stage.

The Virgin Megastore near the corner of TCR?  Pretty big block for a queue*!

*Queue E 2 notwithstanding

The Judgement On Gotham signing was at the Marble Arch Virgin Megastore.
The queue did go onto Park Lane and I think went as far as Green St (As far as I remeber it the queue wasnt snaked down N Row... but its a long time ago and I might have misremebered).
It was a long queue but I dont think it was as long as some of the annual signings at Forbidden Plant... thoese were epic :)
Are we there yet?

PsychoGoatee

Very cool!

Quote from: Richard on 07 August, 2023, 01:02:27 PMWhy didn't you read it?! Living up to your username?

Now I don't have to wait so long to see where it goes. :D It wasn't intentional, my comics backlog goes back many years.

PsychoGoatee

Happy new year! Any new Wagner to come this year? Wagner Dredd?

Jacqusie

I was wondering if Wagner was writing any future JD

I have a sense that there is one big storyline left with him and his Dredd. Something that's a culmulation of years of plotlines, epics, stories and John's very essence of the Dredd inner monologue and narrative over his past and where's he's at as an aging badge.

I always liked it when Dredd did the 'fit for duty?' storylines with Judges who were deemed to be past their prime and struggling to keep up with the rigours and demands of the role.

Is there someone waiting to conduct an assessment Dredd's way I wonder?

A 70 odd year old brain is still a 70 year old brain, no matter what malarky has been grafted into / onto his body... Brain cells atrophy and so then do the functions they carry out.

Unless they can grow new ones of course...