Main Menu

The Debate Debate

Started by paulvonscott, 02 February, 2004, 11:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

PVS sounds to much like hard work.

It seems that some folk don't know how to let go, not you PVS, but peeps on other threads, surely if some fudfeatures is getting on your goat, you just ignore em? or killfile em? or tell em what you think of em, or hey why not have a debate tag for threads?
But how would you stop those silly frivolous annoying comic fans? hey you could just ignore em? or killfile em? or tell em what you think of em!

Someday a rain will come and wash all the...sorry I'll get me coat

Huffy Bickle

DDT did a job on me

Dunk!

Apologises for the flippant post on such a subject, PVS.

It's been a long day(mon), which is now over.

Tulkas
"Trust we"

Mr D

As a lot of people seem to like arguing with rc, why not have a specific thread? As pvs says, it's spreading through various other threads and taking over!!

rc

rc

Well I've already been the subject of various links, Drib, so I guess my own personal thread is the next step.

Dudley

rc wrote: Where does the division lie between heated/less heated debates? Less heated meaning what exactly? Less passionate? Less picky? Less "difficult" boarders involved? Less personal references? Less "troll" accusations, i.e. name calling i.e. "flaming"? Less bandwagon jumping?

Less heated means less personal abuse, people thinking more about what they post, and nobody "having" to have the sodding last word!  

Sorry, man.  In your emails you've been sane and serious, but you are honestly coming across as a bit of a cock here.  I'd insert a smiley and try to calm everything down, but at the same time I *do* mean it.

PVS - you know I agree with the Debate tagline (see thread "Thread Moderating").  Damn fine idea...

paulvonscott

"Apologises for the flippant post on such a subject, PVS."

No, that's okay Tulk, it was funny enough for me ;)

Okay rc, that's fine.

Ah well.

ukdane

I think a DEBATE subject-tag is a good idea.
Cheers

-Daney

rc

"Less heated means less personal abuse, people thinking more about what they post, and nobody "having" to have the sodding last word!"

I have not personally abused anybody, Dudley. I have been personally abused, however. I think about every post a reasonable amount - you have to when so many people are trying desperately to catch you out. As for the last word, well that could go on forever - why should I not respond to other boarders' points in fear of "having the last word"? You know fine well I could throw that same accusation back at you or anyone - it's a necessary evil of debating I guess, even when sensible discussions lapse into cattiness.

I repeat, I ain't done nothing wrong man.

paulvonscott

There's no need to call rc names on this thread really is there?

Okay then, now we've all managed to annoy each other, lets all just get on with enjoying the message board.

Currently 4 people think there's some merit in the idea, 1 doesn't.

I'm guilty of not using the proper tags on threads all the time by the way, but it's worth a go.

rc

I don't think it's a good idea to categorise discussions other than start with a leading thread - most people will try and stick to the point if they are allowed to do so.

I honestly do not think discussions need to go off into mudslinging if certain boarders simply desist from snide remarks and stay on the topic.

I do think abusive boarders should be gagged and/or thrown off, though - but that is as far as I would go.

Richmond Clements

Okay. When these things get all heated up, I usually just walk away.
SD is my all time favorite comic strip ever, and I haven't posted on the thread, why? Because in the end it wasn't really about that was it?
Your idea of a DEBATE category is a good one, PVS.

'Why can't we all just... get along?'

stront692

i dont think the debate thread would work, as these things could still happen in other threads

i contribute to another site which allows a load of comical smileys (about 50 of them) and u can put lots of them into each thread

they also have a button for like 'rant', 'thought', 'whisper' and stuff like that with text in a different form for each one

its much easier to express jokes, personality, etc and as i post as if i was speaking it makes it easier for people to see where u are coming from, i write the same too

Art

Well, at present you've pretty much got a choice between "General" and "Off topic", so perhaps some new categories would be a good idea.

Suggestions from the chat include:

"Telly"
"Weird links"
"Tanks"
"untooth comics"
"trolls"
"gibberish"
"boring show-offs list things"
"Ribald smut not to be taken seriously!"
"The Truth" (for your own posts)
"Lies" (for everyone elses)
"Gordon's only kidding - - OR IS HE?"
"Monkeys in hats"
"Droids plugging non 2k stuff"
"That Old El Paso Taco ad"
"Diggle Knocking"
"I'm right and you lot are all wrong. And smell."
"Lazy droids research"
"Why,oh why, oh why oh why?"
"Religion (Mills)" and "Religion (non-Mills)"
"I'm piss board at work... he's some stupid shite that just popped into my head"
"Attention seeking"
"Smug"
"Deep seated childhood trauma emerging as inexplicable anger"
"Coconuts"
"The Letter P"
"Pretending to be a fish"
"My life's not going too well, here's all the
mind-numbing tedious detials"
"i'm the only girl in the village"
"I live in japan/scandinavia/wherever, isn't that crazy?"
"Is this normal or should I go see to the clap clinic?"
"Improve my web traffic"

Ok, some of these are less useful than others, but it's a start.

paulvonscott

I think I got wrong here for using and approving of smiley's once Stront.  I can't remember who it was or why.  Something to do with the novel I think.

Anyway, it could help I suppose, but I doubt it would have helped either of those threads.