Main Menu

Dredd: The Complete Case Files

Started by Arkady, 24 August, 2015, 01:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

The contents page for CF39 lists both "It's Your Funeral, Creep!" and "Six" starting on p.260.

"Six" actually starts on p.266.  Perhaps it's a feendish PJ Maybe puzzle: "Six" + "260" = 266?!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

broodblik

The bigger thing for me is how the lettering (thanks for Jim highlighting the importance of lettering) has change from the original prog/megs. tom Frame did most of letting and it has been completely altered from his original lettering. This is on the digital release not sure if it is true on the printed release.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Cheat

How are people storing their books? After reading, I've just been putting them vertically on my shelves (what I consider "normal"), but I've just gone back to start re-reading them and I've found that all the skinnier volumes (10ish+) have all developed an extreme bend due to the spines being thicker and more rigid than the other side of the books (the opening side). Looks like, although they appear to be wedged straight on the shelves when viewed from the front (spines out), the opening sides of the books (at the back of the shelf) aren't rigid enough to support the weight of the books, and they flop to one side or the other and thus develop the bend. Has anyone else noticed this and have any tips for trying to flatten the books out again?
Meh!

Richard

Sound like an annoying problem. Mine are packed in quite tight, space being at a premium, so they haven't had room to bend. You could try storing yours flat for a while and see if they straighten out.

IndigoPrime

Prior to selling mine, I found the same. Stored flat with something heavy on top, they soon went back to normal. But this is a problem when you have wide shelves. (It doesn't really happen with a Kallax or something.) Sadly, I'm finding hardcovers aren't much better. They don't bend in that way, but the pages sag instead. So I need to start building shoes for some of my collection.

The Bissler

I also have the same problem with the books bending. I've recently started storing them flat as Indigo Prime mentioned.

On a separate note, I'm reading CCF 38 and noticed that "The Good Man" story came from Prog 2004. I'm  assuming there's a good reason for this, but it's very unusual to see this happen in the CCFs (possibly the first time?).

Richard

No, they've all been in the Case Files.

broodblik

Quote from: The Bissler on 08 May, 2022, 07:08:11 PM
On a separate note, I'm reading CCF 38 and noticed that "The Good Man" story came from Prog 2004. I'm  assuming there's a good reason for this, but it's very unusual to see this happen in the CCFs (possibly the first time?).

"The Good Man" was published in the xmas prog called prog 2004 in December 2003. Prog 2004 and xmas prog 2004 is completely different progs and years - 2003 versus 2016 . This practise of giving the xmas prog the next years number ended in with the xmas prog being number 1961 as per correct sequence at the end of 2015. Hopefully my explanation makes sense
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Bissler

Quote from: broodblik on 08 May, 2022, 07:33:29 PM
Quote from: The Bissler on 08 May, 2022, 07:08:11 PM

"The Good Man" was published in the xmas prog called prog 2004 in December 2003. Prog 2004 and xmas prog 2004 is completely different progs and years - 2003 versus 2016 . This practise of giving the xmas prog the next years number ended in with the xmas prog being number 1961 as per correct sequence at the end of 2015. Hopefully my explanation makes sense

It makes perfect sense, thank you! I'd have been wondering about that for days so thank you for putting me out of my misery!

Blue Cactus

Quote from: The Cheat on 08 May, 2022, 01:40:40 PM
How are people storing their books? After reading, I've just been putting them vertically on my shelves (what I consider "normal"), but I've just gone back to start re-reading them and I've found that all the skinnier volumes (10ish+) have all developed an extreme bend due to the spines being thicker and more rigid than the other side of the books (the opening side). Looks like, although they appear to be wedged straight on the shelves when viewed from the front (spines out), the opening sides of the books (at the back of the shelf) aren't rigid enough to support the weight of the books, and they flop to one side or the other and thus develop the bend. Has anyone else noticed this and have any tips for trying to flatten the books out again?

Yep, mine are the same, going all bendy. I tried inserting card between them at the back of the shelf but not sure it made much difference. Then I forgot and stopped doing that so... yep, all bendy.

IndigoPrime

I've asked various comics folks about this. The best option, apparently, is to store hardcovers between them, or blocks of wood or perspex. Card probably won't be enough, unless it's extremely stiff. I guess books in general are a pain. Paperbacks of any size warp. Hardcovers droop. And in both cases, you don't really notice until the damage has already been done. (My Kill or Be Killed is not in a great way...)

PsychoGoatee

Good info! I used to stack all my trade paperback and hardcover comics, really high. This can cause some bending as well. Tried some techniques like flipping them here and there etc.

I had recently put my Case Files upright in a bookcase a few months back. So will take these tips into my strategy!

It is wild how heavy and space consuming keeping graphic novels around is. But worth it!

The Corinthian

Quote from: broodblik on 06 May, 2022, 05:08:49 AM
The bigger thing for me is how the lettering (thanks for Jim highlighting the importance of lettering) has change from the original prog/megs. tom Frame did most of letting and it has been completely altered from his original lettering. This is on the digital release not sure if it is true on the printed release.

That's... yikes. I mean, that's basically vandalism.

Was there a pressing need to reletter the entire book? And if so, why not do it more sympathetically?

PsychoGoatee

Just got Case Files 40, always great to get the new Case Files. Lotta cool stuff.

On the lettering thing, I notice if the lettering has been changed here since the progs, it was also changed for the previous Total War collection from over 10 years ago I think. I compared all three just now, and the diffence between the Total War Book and CF40 is very subtle. Looks like just about the same font and spacing to me, maybe printed slightly darker in the older Total War book. Very subtle difference to spot, them both being digitally lettered and almost identical sizing and spacing as far as I can tell.

One difference I notice is the first episode of Total War opens on a left page in CF40, but it begins on the right page in the Total War collection. That older collection had a black page with the title and credits on the left. So this makes the pages not line up between the two versions, at least for a bit.

Richard

QuoteI mean, that's basically vandalism.
They actually missed out a speech bubble in America II.