Main Menu

Tramadol Nights.

Started by willthemightyW, 15 December, 2010, 08:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Krombasher on 16 December, 2010, 10:59:24 AM
I think there is a point to most of what he does. I mean the Jane Goody number, I mean, who wasn't thinking that?

Yeah, but everybody else was thinking it a couple of years ago! The world has moved on, but it seems nobody has told Frankie.

IndigoPrime

Quite. He seems to only be able to have a go at weak, obvious targets. This worked fine in MTW and for his first tour, but his weakness in comedy is painfully obvious now he's on his own and having to do new material.

Mind you, some of the others are just as bad. Russell Howard was brilliant when we saw him live the first time, despite some MTW recycling. And then we saw him a year later, and the gig was almost the same. And then he did that dire TV show, where he's presumably tried to be edgy, turning his quite positive comedy (a differentiator these days) into the same insulting and cynical shit that everyone else does (presumably without realising it, since he was grinning like a loon throughout).

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Krombasher on 16 December, 2010, 10:59:24 AM
I think there is a point to most of what he does. I mean the Jane Goody number, I mean, who wasn't thinking that?

I dont even know what everyone was thinking or what Frankie Boyle had to say about it all.

Thats probably because i dont focus my thoughts on celebrities very much or at all.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Keef Monkey

Noticed they pulled the Morgana Show at the last minute last night and showed two Tramadol Nights episodes in a row instead. Not that I minded particularly, the Morgana Show is just as bad, I am curious why it happened though.

Got to wondering if maybe they're contractually obliged to show it all and they just want to get it out the way so they can forget it ever happened. Doesn't seem to be any answers online though.

deus x machina

Quote from: Christov on 16 December, 2010, 08:51:18 AM
It makes me feel like my face is turning inside out from shame when I watch it.

Personally I think that's the responce he's looking for

I'm not a fan of this series although you have to admit if we didn't still have comedians that pushed the bounderies we would soon be swamped with Bobby Davros, let him do his bit and stir the shit a bit even if it's not your taste.
Everyone else (better comedians) seem tame now compaired and that gives the pc police something to keep em busy
Be Pure! Be Vigilant! BEHAVE!

I'm sure my stupidity outshines your intelligence

Steve Green

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 22 December, 2010, 08:11:54 PM
Noticed they pulled the Morgana Show at the last minute last night and showed two Tramadol Nights episodes in a row instead. Not that I minded particularly, the Morgana Show is just as bad, I am curious why it happened though.

Got to wondering if maybe they're contractually obliged to show it all and they just want to get it out the way so they can forget it ever happened. Doesn't seem to be any answers online though.

There's a double bill of the Morgana show next week apparently, and the last one of Tramadol Nights after that.

Not sure why though.

Dandontdare

Quote from: deus x machina on 22 December, 2010, 09:06:10 PM
if we didn't still have comedians that pushed the bounderies we would soon be swamped with Bobby Davros,

And then it'd be the invasion of the light entertainment Daleks

chilipenguin

I quite like his style of comedy and while a lot of the sketches are very hit and miss, the stand up portions of the show have been entertaining. There are many comedians who are far, far more offensive (I'm thinking of Jim Jeffries) and while they may not get the same level of exposure they are far from unpopular. This 'pick on the weak' bollocks is a load of nonsense as well. The audience know fine well what to expect, they wouldn't be sat front and centre otherwise. It does seem like he's determined to have himself thrown out of the TV industry though.

strontium_dog_90

I'm just hoping Channel Four stand up to all the whiners and complainers over this show, especially now that an MP has decided to get in on the act. It'll be a sad day for entertainment in particular and society and general if they manage to get the show thrown off the screen.

dweezil2

Do I care what Frankie (susan) Boyle has to say about anything?
Not really.

Do I find Tramadol Nights entertaining?
intermittently.

Do I think Frankie Boyle will cause the destruction of society and the fall of mankind?
Of course not.

Should he be censored?
No.

Should you use one own discretion and change the channel if you don't like what he has to say?
Yes.

Here endeth the lesson.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Peter Wolf

I think the statements from Channel 4 defending Tramadol Nights and the use of the dreaded "P Word" and "N Word" are complete nonsense.

They claim that the show is "Cutting Edge Comedy" which is a tired and overused cliche and that its "Satirical" and that it "ridicules" the terms that were used.  :lol:

What a lot of bollox that is.Its a lame intellectualisation of a stand up comedian and his act and they think that they can justify it with that kind of pseudo intellectual nonsense which is rubbish.Typical sub-intellectual rubbish that you get so much of these days.They obviously havent heard of Bernard Manning and loads of other stand ups.

Its just reactionary and deliberately offensive humor and nothing more.

What exactly is "Cutting edge" about Frankie Boyle and his act ?

Nothing as its all been done before by lots of others.

They cant even defend the show in an honest way and tell it like it is.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dandontdare

I haven't seen exactly what C4 have said to defend FB, but their response SHOULD have been "Fuck off you CUNTS, it's a comedy, grow up and get your head out yer arse and turn it off if you don't like it!"

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 December, 2010, 12:04:22 AM
I haven't seen exactly what C4 have said to defend FB, but their response SHOULD have been "Fuck off you CUNTS, it's a comedy, grow up and get your head out yer arse and turn it off if you don't like it!"

I really wish you worked for Channel Four.

willthemightyW

It's not the fact that it's offensive, I don't mind too much about that; because, let's face it, every joke is at somebody's expense, so long as it's not a joke just to attack someone or something and it actually is witty. But sometimes he does go too far, again, so long as the rest of it is funny, I don't mind, but sadly, this show is just not funny. And no, it's not because I find it offensive other wise I wouldn't have sat down to watch another episode. It's just, I dunno, it's not good comedy, everyone I've spoken to said it was bad, and the worst thing is I think Frankie Boyle really believes it is hilarious.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

dweezil2

Quote from: willthemightyW on 24 December, 2010, 11:59:17 AM
It's not the fact that it's offensive, I don't mind too much about that; because, let's face it, every joke is at somebody's expense, so long as it's not a joke just to attack someone or something and it actually is witty. But sometimes he does go too far, again, so long as the rest of it is funny, I don't mind, but sadly, this show is just not funny. And no, it's not because I find it offensive other wise I wouldn't have sat down to watch another episode. It's just, I dunno, it's not good comedy, everyone I've spoken to said it was bad, and the worst thing is I think Frankie Boyle really believes it is hilarious.

Or maybe he's so off his face he doesn't care.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo