Main Menu

Dan Dare! Rogue Trooper!

Started by willthemightyW, 23 January, 2011, 02:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 25 January, 2011, 07:27:56 AM
Buncha cynics. They kept Digby as a Cockney for that CGI thing they did.

They cocked that up then. Digby was from Wigan.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Strontium Claw

Quote from: Albion on 25 January, 2011, 11:17:34 AM

They cocked that up then. Digby was from Wigan.

:lol:

OK, fantasy casting time: Michael Fassbender as Dare and Johnny Vegas as Digby...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 25 January, 2011, 09:58:38 AMI just think that Dan Dare's day has past. The strip is utterly gorgeous, but an anachronism now, and any adaptation that tries to strictly adhere to it would end up just being a parody.
Either that or a financial disaster, like the broadly similar (in feel at least) Sky Captain.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Albion on 25 January, 2011, 11:17:34 AM

They cocked that up then . . .

Actually, it was a deliberate change. It was thought an American audience might be confused by an English accent it didn't recognize as being such.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

willthemightyW

Well Sam Worthingtons actual accent is a weird mix of Oz/New Zealand and american and english. So to be honest, although I'd like him to do English, his actual accent would be better than doing an american one.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Eric Plumrose

Any idea what his Mancunian's like?

vzzbux

I don't think there would be much world wide interest in a Dan Dare movie at the moment. Space shenanigans doesn't seem to be the flavour of the movies at the moment. But if done well with great marketing and a farily dynamic cast I could be proved wrong (that is stating the obvious I know).
I am more interested in a Rogue Trooper movie. Could be marketed as 'A Clone War with a difference' to catch the eye of the Star Wars audience.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: M.I.K. on 25 January, 2011, 09:11:16 PM
I'd prefer a Doomlord film.

THIS.

But a Doomlord tv series, on CBBC.

SBT

IAMTHESYSTEM

The 2000AD version of Dan Dare written by Gerry Finlay Day and Art God Dave Gibbons was very energetic and action based comic. Surely this version would translate better on to the Big 3D screen rather than either the original or Garth Ennis's version?

I suspect any Hollywood Researcher looking through the comic's passed incantations   would see more mileage in this version than any other. A charismatic hero exploring the unknown with a wild bunch of tough spacers sounds much more fun than the stiffer 1950's Dare by Hampson and Co.

Dare looks very American in the 2000AD version with a black leather Jacket and GI issue military boots. He's clearly leaning towards iconic American wear something that Hollywood would find much more to their liking. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 25 January, 2011, 10:03:39 PMA charismatic hero exploring the unknown with a wild bunch of tough spacers sounds much more fun . . .

Tharg should pitch it to The Asylum. They could have something knocked out in time for the next STAR TREK movie.

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

YEah a Doomlord tv series would be a wonderful thing, a wonderful thing indeed.