Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: Robin Low on 29 June, 2020, 08:26:33 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 29 June, 2020, 10:00:58 AMTwister is being remade for 2022.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a32964576/twister-remake-back-to-the-future-frank-marshall/

I bet the only thing they keep from the original (aside from a few twisters) is the cow.

Regards,

Robin
And that will be the only good scene.

pictsy

Freaks

I think people had mentioned this one on the forum.  I don't remember what was said about it.  I thought it was pretty good.  Unsettling.  Not at all sure what I'm supposed to take away from it.  Be justifiably scared of people who are different to you, because their kids will [spoiler]psychic you to death[/spoiler]?  Maybe it's that the circle of violence is imposed onto the marginalised through their persecution?  To be honest, I don't think the film makers had thought much about what messaging their film had, so I'm just left slightly disturbed [spoiler]by the murder child[/spoiler].  Taking it on face value then, it was pretty good.  I liked the way it was shot and the way a limited budget was used to great effect.  I enjoyed it and I'll probably rewatch it in the future.

Oh, the kid actor was a star.

JamesC

Hereditary

It was okay. I can't really see what all the fuss was about.
There were some genuinely creepy and surprising moments. The performances were pretty good too.
It's another from the glacial pace/ambient drone soundtrack school of film making though, so it dragged on a bit.

Tiplodocus

WATCHMEN
In prep for the TV show. Mrs Tips had a real go at me for making her watch it. She knows nothing of the comics but her main gripe was how the women were portrayed and how they, along with the violence, we're fetishised. And thinking back, yeah Laurie and Sally get pretty shoddily treated in the comic too.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pictsy

April and the Extraordinary World

French Alternate History Steampunk Animation.  It's great.  The style is wonderful, the animation is A-Class and the story is engaging.  It is most certainly a fun adventure and refreshing in its presentation.  I would recommend it.

shaolin_monkey

Eurovision: Fire something or other (can't be bothered to look it up) - a very tired formula of 'will they won't they fall in love/fall out with each other/ win the competition' etc etc. If you imagine an Icelandic version of that Father Ted 'My Lovely Horse' episode, but which drags the arse out of everything, you won't be far off. Supposedly a comedy, I only laughed at one bit with elves.

Tiplodocus

It's full name is EUROVISION SHIT SHIT: SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT.

But Dan Stevens belting out LION OF LOVE  was awesome.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 July, 2020, 06:48:18 PM
Eurovision: Fire something or other (can't be bothered to look it up) - a very tired formula of 'will they won't they fall in love/fall out with each other/ win the competition' etc etc. If you imagine an Icelandic version of that Father Ted 'My Lovely Horse' episode, but which drags the arse out of everything, you won't be far off. Supposedly a comedy, I only laughed at one bit with elves.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 05 July, 2020, 09:20:32 PM
It's full name is EUROVISION SHIT SHIT: SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT.

But Dan Stevens belting out LION OF LOVE  was awesome.

Glad to have my earlier thoughts confirmed.

pictsy

Ginger Snaps

I remember watching this in the early 2000's and it definitely spoke to me back then.  I really loved it.  Then I went over ten years without seeing it.  Returning to it after all this time had me worried.  I have remembered things from my past being better than what they were, where I failed to see their problems and faults.  Most of the time I'm OK with that.  My youth isn't sacred.  Nevertheless, I didn't want this film to be worse than what I remembered.  Thankfully, it wasn't.  This was like meeting a friend you haven't seen for years and picking up where you left off, not missing a beat.

Really it is a pretty simple werewolf movie.  I used to think it was a pretty heavy handed allegory for menstruation and growing up and this is the only thing that has changed.  I know think it isn't an allegory.  I think that's blatantly the story and the werewolf stuff is just additional stuff on top.  There is no metaphor or allegory at play here, it is pretty literal.  I'm happy with that.  I'm glad I rewatched it after all this time and that I still like it as much as I ever did.

At some point I will watch the inferior sequel and prequel(?).  Just for completionist sake.

JamesC

Alien

After our Mad Max and Mission Impossible watch through we've decided to do Aliens 1,2 and 3 (special editions of 2 and 3). We're not bothering with the others as they're shite.

Watching Alien on bluray last night I was really struck by the incredible sound design.
Also, something I've not noticed before is that the sillouette of the Nostromo is very reminiscent of a classic, gothic haunted house (which speaks to the haunted house in space vibe the film makers were going for).
Also, I really love the weirdness of Harry Dean Stanton's final scene. It's basically raining inside the spaceship and the hanging chains, while being gothic in their own right, took the place of barren trees in a rainy forest.
The cast are fantastic. Holm is really scary as the ice cold yet self satisfied Ash.
The interactions between the crew feel entirety natural and there's a real sense of grit. There's also a great sense of the vastness and inhospitality of space that's completely missing from the later films.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 06 July, 2020, 10:08:02 AM
Also, something I've not noticed before is that the sillouette of the Nostromo is very reminiscent of a classic, gothic haunted house (which speaks to the haunted house in space vibe the film makers were going for).

That's a great point, it's such an unusual ship design and I've never really seen it as that before but now I don't think I can think of it any other way.

Wife picked The Witches of Eastwick the other night as she'd never seen it, I hadn't since I was a youngster (too young to be watching TWoE probably) and was surprised to see George Miller's name pop up as director, had no idea. It holds up okay in a lot of ways, it's a bit messy but it chock full of memorable and vivid moments and everyone involved is hamming it up brilliantly. It doesn't feel like the classic I've always kind of thought of it as, and I realized that one of the reasons it probably stuck with me was because at the age I was the triple threat of Michelle Pfeiffer, Cher and Susan Sarandon probably melted my brain a bit. Still fun though.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, which was the first Trek I saw in the cinema and I have pretty vivid memories of that trip. It's great, although on this revisit I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did 2&3. I think it's the writing, it feels more like a funny adventure romp where 2&3 surprised me with how good the character writing and drama held up. It's all relative though, I still had a great time.

And for something funny watched Game Night, which I thought was a real cut above most big American comedies these days. I'm very weary of the go-to style Hollywood comedies adopt nowadays, where you go in with a vague waft of a story structure (usually the same as the last one) and no script and just stick 3 cameras on people improvising and reacting endlessly until you can chop together something funny out of it. I feel like that works for the occasional film but more often than not has started to feel incredibly lazy to me.

This on the other hand feels like someone actually wrote it, and storyboarded it, and planned out elaborate sequences and stylish ways to shoot them. It reminded me of Edgar Wright a bit, as I always hold him up as a comedy writer and director who actually writes and directs comedy movies rather than cobbling together improv skits. It means there are some real standout moments, a lot of genuinely witty laughs and some great comic performances (plus Rachel McAdams is very, very lovely). It also has some fairly dark gags in it that I found really amusing, because clearly something inside me is broken.

Took me by surprise that film, really liked it.

pictsy

After our Mad Max and Mission Impossible watch through we've decided to do Aliens 1,2 and 3 (special editions of 2 and 3). We're not bothering with the others as they're shite.

I never had that much of a problem with Resurrection, although I didn't like it as much as the previous three.  Nevertheless, when I watched the Special Edition of Resurrection things about it made a lot more sense.  I appreciated the film a hell of a lot more now.  Most of the front half of the film is contextualised better, imo.  It's still Resurrection so your mileage may vary, though.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 July, 2020, 11:19:17 AM

Wife picked The Witches of Eastwick the other night as she'd never seen it, I hadn't since I was a youngster (too young to be watching TWoE probably) and was surprised to see George Miller's name pop up as director, had no idea. It holds up okay in a lot of ways, it's a bit messy but it chock full of memorable and vivid moments and everyone involved is hamming it up brilliantly. It doesn't feel like the classic I've always kind of thought of it as, and I realized that one of the reasons it probably stuck with me was because at the age I was the triple threat of Michelle Pfeiffer, Cher and Susan Sarandon probably melted my brain a bit. Still fun though.

I watched this a few weeks ago (gave my thoughts here).  I actually returned to it because of discussions about Mad Max and George Miller prompted me to visit his IMDB page to discover he directed it.  What did your wife think of it?

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 July, 2020, 06:48:18 PM
Eurovision: Fire something or other (can't be bothered to look it up)

Fire Walk with Me, I think ;)

sheridan

Quote from: pictsy on 06 July, 2020, 01:04:58 PM

I never had that much of a problem with Resurrection, although I didn't like it as much as the previous three.  Nevertheless, when I watched the Special Edition of Resurrection things about it made a lot more sense.  I appreciated the film a hell of a lot more now. 

I knew there was a special edition of Aliens, but had no idea about Cubed and Resurrection!

Pyroxian

Quote from: sheridan on 06 July, 2020, 01:27:09 PM
I knew there was a special edition of Aliens, but had no idea about Cubed and Resurrection!

I don't remember the extended cut of Resurrection being anything special, but the Assembly cut of Alien 3 considerably improves the film and is worth watching (it's still nowhere near as good as 1 or 2 though)