Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

2000AD Prog 329: Are they robots? Are they machines? They're both!

A new thrill starts next prog, and surprisingly nothing is finishing this prog to make way for it...

sheridan

sheridan

2000AD Prog 331: Bred to fight... destined to die?

Belardinelli's on Sláine, alien psychics predict the death of a G.I., that bedstead was just too much and Slade has retired.

sheridan

sheridan

sheridan

Seeing as I've just covered the last two annuals I didn't read when they came out, I'm going to mop up a few other things that I didn't write about in chronological order (for different reasons).

Dan Dare Poster Magazine: 'From Eagle comic to 2000AD magazine... this is my life...'

The first poster prog!

sheridan

The Daily Dredds: 1981

Stories from a time when Dredd appeared every day in a 'newspaper'.

Today's bonus - an index of anything that won't fit in to other indexes!
miscellany

sheridan

The Daily Dredds: 1982

Who would have thought that writing about an entire year's worth of half page strips would take longer than one week's worth of five or six page strips?  Not me, for some reason.  Back to the progs tomorrow - Daily Dredds 1983 can wait until the 1985 annuals.

sheridan

2000AD Prog 332: The Battle of Dun Barc

After the annuals and mopping up oddities it's back to the weekly prog (including Sláine and Rogue Trooper).

sheridan

TordelBack

How I love this whole period: the wraparounds, Bellardinelli Sláine, and this Dredd in particular!

On the question of 'Kismet, Hardy!', I've always seen it as just presenting an amusing/ironic coincidence. Kismet = Fate (or Destiny), which is why it's a suitable codename of a time-travelling assassin, and entirely separately Nelson is accepting/bemoaning his fate to Hardy, sidestepping the usual 70s/80s palaver of explaining away the dreaded homosexual implications of 'Kiss me, Hardy'.  Works for me anyway!

My own tweenage problems with this prog centered on Rogue Trooper: I had no idea about San Francisco's associations with hippies, didn't know about phosgene gas, and had never heard "I left my heart in San Francisco".  Nor had I read Fort Neuro, so I really, truly, had no idea what was going on. I was pretty much left with 'I'm gened for impact!", which was a bit of a puzzle in itself.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 July, 2020, 01:32:08 PM
How I love this whole period: the wraparounds, Bellardinelli Sláine, and this Dredd in particular!
[/url]

This is the time I went from never having heard of 2000AD to getting a prog every week or two to getting every prog.  So I'm pretty much incapable of giving an unbiased opinion on any of these progs :-)

[url]
My own tweenage problems with this prog centered on Rogue Trooper: I had no idea about San Francisco's associations with hippies, didn't know about phosgene gas, and had never heard "I left my heart in San Francisco".  Nor had I read Fort Neuro, so I really, truly, had no idea what was going on. I was pretty much left with 'I'm gened for impact!", which was a bit of a puzzle in itself.

I found out about phosgene gas yesterday!  As for San Fran - I found out about that through the pages of (I believe) Shade the Changing Man when they went to Haight-Ashbury, epicentre of 1960s US-hippydom.  Which I think was five years or so after I went to the city on a family trip - far too young to enjoy a city like SF!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 05 July, 2020, 12:13:29 PM
2000AD Prog 330: New sword and sorcery saga starts this prog! Sláine

The first prog I ever bought!

Not the first one I bought by any means, but the first one I can clearly remember.  I was 8 and I remember my Dad (who went to an Irish-speaking school) telling me and the brother how to pronounce Sláine.  It was years before I realised Tharg pronounced it differently (not that I give a feck how people pronounce it, mind you).

I also remember Karl Heinz-Pichards-In-Tomato-Sauce-Clayderman from that issue.  Great stuff

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

2000AD Prog 334: Sláine on Hel's Edge

Another day, another wraparound cover (didn't I say that yesterday?)