Main Menu

PROG 1813 UNDER THE HAMMER

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 29 December, 2012, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUDGE BURNS

11.15 AM and my new prog just arrived...

Lovely cover of Hammerstein MK 2 war droid by Neil Roberts.

Interesting new DREDD story with another ageing judge trained by the late Judge Morphy.

Rest of the prog I will comment on later after I have read it all.

Happy New Year to All.

Link Prime

Who's writing Dredd this week JB?

Pioneer

Dandontdare

Cover by Neil Roberts - my first thought was why is Hammerstein wearing a Kermit the frog helmet? Lovely colours.

Thrills of the future - The  Ten-seconders - Godsend. I'll have to dig out the old stuff, can't remember much about this one.

Dredd - the first page is a tricksy opening and I bet many a squaxx will grimace as they turn the page. Interesting set-up, anyone know how many parts this runs for? I love Neil Roberts depiction of the city and citizens - page 5 is just beautiful - but I don't care for his judges so much. Dredd's frown, the big visor, I dunno. 'nowt wrog with it, just not my favourite depiction.

Savage - I love how this has caught up with the robot phase of the volgan war, great to see the mark IIs in action. And I think Bill's telling porkies in the penultimate panel - what do yopu think?  ;)

Ampney Crucis - when this strip began I didn't care much for the premise, but by golly I've grown to love it. Much is down to Simon "Cromwell" Davis' art which is absolutely perfect for these scripts. This longer world-building storyline is more satisfying than 3 part country house mysteries as well. An amusing episode with a stock yokel, but ending with a real Dun Dun Duuuun!

Red Seas - by contrast this strip has often lost me. It's gone on for so long with so many gaps that I find it hard to keep any momentum of enthusiasm, and often can't remember what's happened from week to week. This week they carry on going where they're going and talk about stuff but don't actually get there.

Strontium Dog - stonking old-skol thrillage continues. johnny's little brain-squatter gets more and more interesting. Carlos gets to draw a classic "troops descending in a beam from a H-wagon type thingy", which makes me feel all warm inside.

Overall a very good prog, and it came on a Saturday to boot!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 December, 2012, 01:07:35 PM
I love Neil Roberts Peter Doherty's depiction of the city and citizens - page 5 is just beautiful - but I don't care for his judges so much. Dredd's frown, the big visor, I dunno. 'nowt wrog with it, just not my favourite depiction.

FTFY. :-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 December, 2012, 01:18:01 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 December, 2012, 01:07:35 PM
I love Neil Roberts Peter Doherty's depiction of the city and citizens - page 5 is just beautiful - but I don't care for his judges so much. Dredd's frown, the big visor, I dunno. 'nowt wrog with it, just not my favourite depiction.

FTFY. :-)

Cheers

Jim

D'oh!  ::)

Skullmo

I can't help feeling a little disappoitned that we have yet another [spoiler]'dodgy judge' story[/spoiler]. It is starting to feel like almost all the Judges are crooked / on the take / inept / conspiring to overthrow the world.

Having said that it's nice to see another story [spoiler]which ignores Day of Chaos[/spoiler].

It's a joke. I was joking.

Colin YNWA

Once again pleasantly surprised how early this showed up. Expected to be Progless for another week. Now to find time to read it...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Skullmo on 29 December, 2012, 01:47:01 PM
Having said that it's nice to see another story [spoiler]which ignores Day of Chaos[/spoiler].
I shouldn't comment on something I haven't read or even seen yet, but [spoiler]are you mad bro'?[/spoiler]

Skullmo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 29 December, 2012, 03:23:40 PM
I shouldn't comment on something I haven't read or even seen yet, but [spoiler]are you mad bro'?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Irony[/spoiler]
It's a joke. I was joking.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Skullmo on 29 December, 2012, 04:14:22 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 29 December, 2012, 03:23:40 PM

[spoiler]Irony[/spoiler]
O I C.....sorry.

COMMANDO FORCES

Just read my copy, YES the comic shop had it in :D

COVER - This is definately one for the fans and not for the casual browser. Loved the movement of it but the screws in his head threw me a little!

DREDD - Apart from the city and Judges not seeming to have been noticed the DoC, I thoroughly enjoyed this tale. Great set up, lovely art and colours and an interesting set up! [spoiler]Peter mentioned he's doing Dredd for the next three weeks, that's for DDD[/spoiler]

SAVAGE - Great Mark II action, as one shows its potential doing what it does best. I enjoyed that bit as it brought back some fun memories doing the same tests! The ending did make me laugh as I wonder if Bill can keep that promise!

The other three stories I'm leaving for later!

Colin YNWA

Well they say absence makes the heart grew fonder and a couple of weeks off has certainly made me appreciate what a wonder a weekly dose of thrill power can be. After the glories of the end of the year a break has possibly been a good thing and given this weeks prog the space it deserves to truly shine, that might otherwise have been lost in the afterglow.

Enjoyed all the thrills. Red Seas, Ampney and Savage all settle down a little after 2013 and build their stories really well. While they may have settled the pace and all get their exposition off really nicely while adding some great character moments. Strontium Dog on the other had kicks into high gear and balances this all out very nicely. Dredd is a great opener a nice on an old standard and I really enjoyed it, really really.

A masterclass in the perfectly balanced anthology to start off the year.

SmallBlueThing

This was in my local newsie today when i checked- and apparently came in late in the week.

The cover confused me- took me a couple of hours of it sitting on my table and walking past looking askance at it before i sussed what it was- which is never good.

Dredd was excellent, just a shame it ignored Chaos Day. Actually not just ignored, but everything about it flew in the face of what has happened. Despite that, excellent Dredd.

Savage was the highlight- we need the previous volumes readily available in all bookshops, and 2000AD never gets better than this.

Ampney Crucis was okay, but i still cant get behind Simon Davis's artwork im afraid.

Red Seas and Stront arent for me, and ive given up on both. Sorry.

SBT

Proudhuff

Hiya Pals!

just a quickie to say....

As mentioned the funny mkII helment on the cover confused me also.

Dredd: This would have been perfect pre-DeeohCee, but given the world changing events in that story this seems a little out of place. Thargy should have a standard issue instruction to all driods: City in ruins, pop 50mill, citz working on the clearance infrastructure snecked, all the crooked judges are dead, the ones who are left are the hardest, bloodied and enbattled, now rebuilt it from that. 

Savage: enjoyable SMashy robots, the clumpy Tolpuddle ref clanged a bit, why not call them the Anti Royal League or summit, so there wasn't that clumpy thang? Great artwork too

Ampney Crucis  great stuff, the artwork works and there are real surprises on each page

Red Seas I used to love this but I just wanting the big Boss fight now, gerr on with it!!

and Stront, a real tale out of time, there's nothing wrong with it just no threat, we all know how it ends so really why bother?

A welcome return of the prog, but somehow not up to the dizzy heights of last years classics.
DDT did a job on me