Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Skullmo on 31 August, 2016, 03:45:09 PM
I keep my pages under the bath.
We stuff 'em behind the cat litter tray (occasionally under).

serious answer - living in a typical poky, pretty much unventilated London flat, this is one reason why I don't collect artwork, but can't resist this thread and the facebook group.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Rately on 31 August, 2016, 01:15:07 PM

Fantastic stuff.

A Peter Doherty Young Death page?? Green with envy.

Nabbed purely by chance when chatting to Peter and John Wagner over a pint at the end of the first Lawgiver convention. We were discussing how a good letterer works hard to leave art unobscured, and Pete pulled his portfolio out to show some examples.

John started chatting about how he based Mrs Gunderson on his mum, and Peter said he drew Mrs Gunderson with his mum in mind too, purely by chance. He pulled out a page to elaborate.

At that point I noticed a price tag on the art and asked if it was for sale. It was way out my budget, but I bought it anyway, and lived on pasta and Tescos economy plum tomatoes for a couple of weeks. It was my most expensive bit of art purchased at the time. Now that accolade goes to my new John Burns page, and worth every penny!!  :D

Dandontdare

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 31 August, 2016, 12:07:16 PM
I have most of mine in archive folders but, apparently, you have to watch for mould!  :o The pieces I have had framed have all been done professionally with acid free backing and museum glass where possible. It doesn't matter how you frame them, just keep the glass off the art!

I know this is a definite no-no when framing photos as they stick to the glass, but is it really a problem with comic art?

Rately

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 01 September, 2016, 12:32:19 AM
Quote from: Rately on 31 August, 2016, 01:15:07 PM

Fantastic stuff.

A Peter Doherty Young Death page?? Green with envy.

Nabbed purely by chance when chatting to Peter and John Wagner over a pint at the end of the first Lawgiver convention. We were discussing how a good letterer works hard to leave art unobscured, and Pete pulled his portfolio out to show some examples.

John started chatting about how he based Mrs Gunderson on his mum, and Peter said he drew Mrs Gunderson with his mum in mind too, purely by chance. He pulled out a page to elaborate.

At that point I noticed a price tag on the art and asked if it was for sale. It was way out my budget, but I bought it anyway, and lived on pasta and Tescos economy plum tomatoes for a couple of weeks. It was my most expensive bit of art purchased at the time. Now that accolade goes to my new John Burns page, and worth every penny!!  :D

Fantastic stuff!

Ha! Have to agree. A page from that story, or anything from Mr Doherty would be a must purchase for me, no matter the price!

Geoff

Quote from: Rately on 31 August, 2016, 11:51:24 AM
Oh dear.

Out of interest, and in expectations of future purchases, what is the best way to store / preserve / frame original artwork?

Frame and display as much as you can I think, family and space permitting!

The most important thing is to keep it out of direct sunlight and use UV filtering glass (like TruVue).

I got a few quotes for professional framing and it's really expensive.  Money you can spend on more art I reckon...

So I measure up the art and buy a standard black ready made frame. Then do the measurements for the mount. You can buy conservation quality mounts on the net and you enter your measurements. 

Then when the fame arrives I measure the glass/plastic provided and order that size UV glass on line.  I'm particularly careful about the glass measurements as it's expensive.

When you have all the bits, you put them all together and hey presto! 

I think it's much cheaper than going to a framer but I also really enjoy the process of putting it all together myself.

Watch out though...it's quite an addictive hobby...(the art buying I mean, not so much the framing)

Mute77

I just went to Wilkos for my frames!! I currently own a handful of pieces of original art but yeah it's quite addictive..so much so that I buy less (US) books so I can save up for more art!

hippynumber1

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 September, 2016, 12:47:02 AM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 31 August, 2016, 12:07:16 PM
I have most of mine in archive folders but, apparently, you have to watch for mould!  :o The pieces I have had framed have all been done professionally with acid free backing and museum glass where possible. It doesn't matter how you frame them, just keep the glass off the art!

I know this is a definite no-no when framing photos as they stick to the glass, but is it really a problem with comic art?

You're potentially looking at the same problem. Glass pressed tight to ink can cause it to stick or spread, either way you end up wreaking the art. If it's painted art you will definitely ruin it.

Eamonn Clarke

Peter Doherty, Born under a Bad Sign, Prog 1275

Bought from Peter at NICEcon this weekend for £40

Dunk!

Nice bit of Dredd action, and 40 smackers! Sweet.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Rately

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 06 September, 2016, 09:24:23 AM

Peter Doherty, Born under a Bad Sign, Prog 1275

Bought from Peter at NICEcon this weekend for £40

Absolutely gorgeous page, Eamonn!

Mute77

Always like Peter Doherty on Dredd. Looks ace in black and white too..does Peter have a website to buy art from?  I looked but couldnt find one.

Rately

Quote from: Mute77 on 06 September, 2016, 12:39:19 PM
Always like Peter Doherty on Dredd. Looks ace in black and white too..does Peter have a website to buy art from?  I looked but couldnt find one.

Yes, his art looks fantastic in black and white. He was definitely a defining artist for me on Dredd, along with John Burns, King Carlos and Ron Smith in the reprint magazines that were available at the time I started collecting the Prog.

Always thought he captured the presence of Dredd perfectly, and drew for my money, one of the best Dredd panels ever in Bury My Knee... when Dredd turns away, saying "I'm sorry. I'm just doing my duty."

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Mute77 on 06 September, 2016, 12:39:19 PM

Peter has popped up on the Facebook art group to say that he's got other pages from that story for sale.
If you don't do Facebook I can pass messages on

Mute77

That would be brilliant-thank you! Could i send you a PM?

themanfrommu

Long time lurker. Seems as good a time as any for a first post.