Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

It seems a decision was made at some point to ensure complete adventures for a few specific characters (at least from a 2000 AD standpoint – Strontium Dog misses all the Starlord stuff, annoyingly), and Sláine was one of them. Personally, I think it's a bit much as well. I'd have happily seen the strip jump from Horned God to Books of Invasions, or the same but cherry picking a few good bits from Sláine's Doctor Who years. But Sláine is probably 2000 AD's second most popular character, and the repro's already been done...

My hope is the collection will continue, at least for ~20 books. That might be a tall order (and it's perfectly conceivable there will be no extension at all). But it would be a pity to not conclude a few strips (notably Kingdom) and to omit others entirely (Indigo Prime; Firekind).

James Stacey

I'd love to see it extended, its a rich vein to mine, it would also help dilute the amount of Slaine, which for its highs soars so very high but spends a lot of time in the mire of 'its a bit shit'

sintec

I'll take a couple of sub-par Slaine books over some of weaker Mega-Collection volumes (he says having not read the Slaines yet so maybe I'll come to regret that).  I struggle to believe they'll be worse than things like Behind The Iron Curtain, Stars of Psi Division, The World At Law, Klegg Hai or The Heavy Mob

Personally I think there's been less dross in the Ultimate Collection so far and even if half the remaining Slaines are a bit meh I think we're going to get less dross overall too.

And whilst I can understand some being annoyed at the lack of the pre-2000AD Stront I'm kinda glad. Vol 1 was the weakest part of that set for me and I assume the preceding Starlord stuff was in a similar vein so I don't really feel like I'm missing much.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 25 April, 2019, 11:32:31 AM
And whilst I can understand some being annoyed at the lack of the pre-2000AD Stront I'm kinda glad. Vol 1 was the weakest part of that set for me and I assume the preceding Starlord stuff was in a similar vein so I don't really feel like I'm missing much.

I'd say it's better than the early stories of Vol 1, actually - certainly a much better introduction than the likes of Galaxy Killers.
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Maybe I'll try and track them down at the local library or in digital to see what I'm missing out on.

Dark Jimbo

If you're any sort of Stront fan, I absolutely would! The humour of later tales is missing, but at an average of two-three parts they're snappy little tales that revel in a universe of wacky aliens and weird weapons - and Carlos' art is gorgeous!
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 April, 2019, 11:41:23 AM

I'd say it's better than the early stories of Vol 1, actually - certainly a much better introduction than the likes of Galaxy Killers.

Definitely this - Galaxy Killers is one of my least favourite Stront stories, much worse than anything that had appeared in Starlord.

IndigoPrime

sintec: At its worst, Sláine is pretty bad. I wouldn't say it's as bad as the very worst of the Dredd collection, but it's not far off. A couple of these books (prior to Books of Invasion) are going to be very hard going. As for Strontium Dog, I wish they'd have included everything, not least so I could then offload my trades. Now I'm mulling whether to hang on to the first one.

sintec

Yeah I totally get that the incompleteness of Strontium Dog is very annoying if this is a double dip and you'd like to replace the old set

abelardsnazz

The latest issue has been a no-show at my local Thrill-merchant. They got in touch and were told it was delayed and would be Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm wondering whether the subscriber issues are spilling over into the distribution network.

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 25 April, 2019, 02:05:06 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 April, 2019, 11:41:23 AM

Definitely this - Galaxy Killers is one of my least favourite Stront stories, much worse than anything that had appeared in Starlord.

I missed a few Progs of this when it was first published. Including the resolution of a cliff hanger were Johnny and Wulf were [spoiler]ordered to fight to the death[/spoiler].

It was only years later when it as reprinted in the Megazine did I see the resolution. I had often thought about it in the intervening years....so it kept my interest all that time. I much preffered it to Journey to Hell. Overall for me vol 1 is much weaker than the other Strontium Dog volumes, so much so I haven't (re-)read it yet, but will eventually.

abelardsnazz

Still a no-show of SinDex 2 at the Thrill-merchant. Has anyone ordered individual issues from the Hachette website, and if so are they reliable? Thanks.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 28 April, 2019, 12:28:04 PM
The latest issue has been a no-show at my local Thrill-merchant. They got in touch and were told it was delayed and would be Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm wondering whether the subscriber issues are spilling over into the distribution network.

It was at my local last week same as ever, the Tuesday before it officially came out.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 30 April, 2019, 09:46:55 AMStill a no-show of SinDex 2 at the Thrill-merchant. Has anyone ordered individual issues from the Hachette website, and if so are they reliable?
Ish. You'll get your books, but delivery times are slow unless you splash out for the bumped-up postage. It's also a bit of a lottery in what state they'll arrive, although getting replacements is never a problem.

If I were you, I'd probably buy from Forbidden Planet instead.

abelardsnazz

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it until tomorrow then order from FP if it doesn't appear. WH Smiths don't have it either.