Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

You want to know what's terrible, what's the very definition of whats wrong with humanity, this commercial world we live in. Yes indeed Richmond (if you are reading this) what is the very thing that IS everything that is wrong with comics today.

YOU WANT TO KNOW.

Well I'll tell you.

Top Shelf can't make enough money to release their long planned, Eddie Campbell opus, the two volume Bacchus Omnibus.

NNNNOOOOOOOOO! WWWHHHHHHYYYYY!

Look into your hearts and ask yourself what you can do to make this change.

Look deep and look long and when you've found it. DO IT.

(I'm tired, so very tired)

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 May, 2013, 06:42:47 AM
Top Shelf can't make enough money to release their long planned, Eddie Campbell opus, the two volume Bacchus Omnibus.

:'(

Bet you could Kickstart the heck out of that thing.  But I suspect that's not Chris' style.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 May, 2013, 10:39:30 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 May, 2013, 06:42:47 AM

:'(

Bet you could Kickstart the heck out of that thing.  But I suspect that's not Chris' style.

Yeah but if it got the stuff out there. I think you're completely right it'd well and truly get what it wanted... I reckon.

SuperSurfer

Over a year ago I bought a bunch of GNs from my local cheapo bookshop which had lingered in my massive to-read pile. Lately I've read:

Jonah Hex 'Six Gun War' – the only Jonah Hex comic I've read and have to say I thought it was excellent. Pulpy and gritty, doesn't take itself too seriously. Quite a few laugh out loud moments due to snappy dialogue. Really like the rough and ready art (thought there is the odd confusing panel where I couldn't make out who was who). Will check out more. 

Battler Britton by Ennis and Wilson. Didn't think I'd like this but it's superb stuff. Shame we don't see more of Colin Wilson's art in 2000AD.

Currently reading 'Otherside' by Aaron and Stewart. Vietnam war story. Have only read the first chapter. So far so brilliant.

I also bought from the same bookshop a bunch of other stuff such Originals by Gibbons which I thought was ok and Filthy Rich which I haven't even unwrapped.

All of the above were £3 each. Talk about bargain.

ThryllSeekyr

While reading through The Walking Dead, I am also reading through PDFs for Werewolf the Apocalypse, Mage the Ascension, Hunter the Reckoning and Exalted I downloaded from Drive Thru RPG.com.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/?

Their a group of Role playing games set in The World of Darkness. All except [/b]Exalted[/b] which is set in mythical Earth 's prehistory. If fact, I'm backing a Kick Starter for the Third Edition rules for this game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-exalted-3rd-edition?ref=live

All these games are under the White-Wolf banner.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 25 May, 2013, 04:43:28 PM

Jonah Hex 'Six Gun War' – the only Jonah Hex comic I've read and have to say I thought it was excellent. Pulpy and gritty, doesn't take itself too seriously. Quite a few laugh out loud moments due to snappy dialogue. Really like the rough and ready art (thought there is the odd confusing panel where I couldn't make out who was who). Will check out more. 

One of my absolute favourites, I've completed a re-read of all the modern Jonah Hex comics a wee while back and the good news for you Supersurfer is that in my opinion '6 Gun War', however good it is, is one of the weaker parts of the series as a whole. The rest of the series is generally self contained one part stories, with the occasional two or three parter, but they are rare. That can have a few misses but overall the standard is remarkably consistent and remarkably good. One of the best modern comics out there.

The Nu52 version has a few more 'superhero' tropes thrown in, while still firmly (well until the up coming issues) a western. Its a bit different but still immense fun. Though should be approached with a little more caution if superhero fare isn't your bag.

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 25 May, 2013, 04:43:28 PM

Battler Britton by Ennis and Wilson. Didn't think I'd like this but it's superb stuff. Shame we don't see more of Colin Wilson's art in 2000AD.

Yep loved this too and completely agree with the Colin Wilson comments. One of my all time favourite Dredd artists.

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Sideshow Bob

Just finished reading...The Wanderer in Unknown Realms...by...John Connolly.

A novella set just after 1st World War and a bit 'Lovecraftian' in its' choice of protagonist....A change from his Charlie Parker series of Novels,  which are highly recommended...

It was OK,  but a deliberately 'slow paced' story, no real outright 'gory' horror, just a slow sense of unease and reminiscent of an 'older' type novel in writing...Imagine the style and pace of John Wyndham type novels...
As I said, it was OK, but not one that I'd recommend.....Enjoyable enough, but a bit 'take it or leave it',  and not likely to 'live on' in my memory or require a 're-read' in a few years time...
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Mabs

Top Ten is an absolute blast! Moore's writing is top notch and Gene Ha's artwork is absolutely outstanding with in-jokes aplenty. I had a weird dream last night, no doubt influenced by my reading, wherein everyone was a superhero - me, my family, even the cranky old woman next door!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mabs on 01 June, 2013, 11:58:42 AM
Top Ten is an absolute blast! Moore's writing is top notch and Gene Ha's artwork is absolutely outstanding with in-jokes aplenty.

Oddly enough I sold my copies of Top Ten 1 and 2 on Ebay back in February for... £8.99 for both! Weird. Wonder if they're the same copies sold on again! (I'll be buying the Absolute edition later this year, which also comes packaged with the prequel series and Smax spin-off, neither of which I've read.)

It is a fantastic series, but massively under-rated. I'd easily rank it up there with the likes of Promethea, Vendetta, LOEG, etc. So crammed with visual in-jokes that it rewards a lot of re-reading too; watch out for a Walter the Wobot cameo later on and the tomb of a certain 'Halo Jones'...
@jamesfeistdraws

Mabs

@ Dark Jimbo, the copies I bought are both first editions with the Titan price stickers on the back still intact. Also book 1 has a small dent on the spine bottom. If that sounds familiar it could well be yours! Lol. It does sound quite uncanny though! And Absolute Top Ten sounds brill, hardcover with all the spinoff and prequel stuff. However it's a bit too pricey for my liking though, I might invest in it if I can get a bargain copy on ebay or something. Also wow, Walter eh? I'll have to keep my eyes peeled! Cheers.

@ Skullmo, don't worry mate, I think there's still a couple going at a reasonable price.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Basilisk

I left the Enemy Ace Showcase from DC more or less at half pagecount. Nice WWI comic. Strange, in the sense that the main character is German, nor British, or French or more obviously, American. But it's not the typical "bang bang bang" with lousy phrases and fun. This is serious stuff, more or less realistic, and nicely written and drawn.

And now, after a lot hiatus, again with 2000AD stuff. Checking the 2nd CCF of ol' Dreddy. The Day the Law Died is quite curious.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

I, Cosh

Just finished Zendegi which was that most unexpected of things: a breezy page turner by Greg Egan. Well, relatively speaking. It's still got a fair bit of stilted dialogue, lengthy expository passages and wooden characters. The book still has his usual preoccupation with post-human consciousness at its core but this time wrapped in a very human story and with absolutely no treatises on alternative systems of mathematics.

Also halfway through Barry Windsor Smith's The Freebooters, which is a bit of an oddity I picked up from the library. It's a lovely, full size hardback collection which opens with Smith's wonderfully splenetic extended ruminations on the state of the comics industry at the time this was created and how he's here to shake it up. The only problem with this is that the story so far is, frankly, pretty weak and the large comedy element isn't funny to me. Every now and again a beautifully detailed page jumps out but too often the art is buried under unflattering colouring and stodgy inks.
We never really die.

von Boom

Just finished Shadow of Freedom by David Weber. All in all another excellent instalment of the Honor Harrington series.

Now I'll start my summer reading project to reread the entire Horatio Hornblower series.