Main Menu

*NEWB* (2000ad thread juve-or sub basement dwellers) film discussion thread

Started by adogg4629, 26 September, 2012, 06:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cursed Earth Dweller

MrHorizontal

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 16 October, 2012, 11:56:54 AM
lol Aw come on man! Here I am enjoying the reference I made with the scene and you have to come over and tell me it's a plot-hole, thanks a lot.

Seriously though, things like that don't come to my mind when I'm enjoying a good film and even when they do I don't let them bother me that much. I'm just not the kind of person that puts too nuch faith in movie realism.

To answere your question though, I would go with the former as well since I believe that [spoiler]Anderson needs to be in close proximity to scan someones mind[/spoiler]

I didn't mean to point it out in a bad light... it's just that it had to make me think why he did that, and by the very virtue I was doing that in this film actually pays homage to its quality. Compare and contrast something like Expendables 2, where you don't have to think very much (though I enjoyed that film a lot as it didn't take itself seriously).

So on the one hand you can put it down to continuity, but on the other you can put it down to some sort of suspense in a whodunnit how sort of way...

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 16 October, 2012, 11:56:54 AMHave you ever seen a japanese flick called Zatoichi, by directer Takeshi Kitano? That film uses digitally rendered blood which makes all the violent swordplay look rather pretty, dare I say artistic and keep the film from being pointlessly gory. I think the 3D and slow-mo scenes work for Dredd the same way, although I geuss the violence in Dredd has a point to it in that it reflects how bleak and violent Mega City 1 is.

AHA! Now you're talking at my level. Yup, Zatoichi the blind samurai is fantastic. If you like those films, I strongly suggest you watch another called Twilight Samurai, which is even better though not Takeshi Kitano, and there's another film that's about to hit our shores called Rurouni Kenshin, which is almost an exact replica of one of the best Anime's around (see http://kotaku.com/5938365/the-live-action-rurouni-kenshin-movie-is-a-nearly-perfect-film-adaptation for a review).

But in Dredd, I personally saw references to Drive though, which has gone down into one of my 'top 10' films as it's just excellent on many levels.

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 16 October, 2012, 11:56:54 AMExactly, Dredd is one of those "less-is-more" films that deliveres on a practical scale rather then an overly epic scope of things like the 95 film.

This is also why I will probably consider Dredd a better film then the Raid when I get round to watching it eventually but quit frankly, the Raid strikes as a film that only delivers on an a level of none-stop action which is nice but a tad bit shallow. Have you seen in by the way?

No - not watched the Raid yet, but I have it on my watchlist. From what I've read though it's about the fight choreography, which is a bit meh and Matrix-esque to me, and doesn't amazingly add to a film, unless you're using actors who can actually fight properly (see Ong Bak), and I will be going into watching that film with that frame of mind.

Currently though I'm a bit overloaded between some seriously good telly (Homeland), re-reading Dredd progs from the beginning and an absolute megaton of work, so I'm literally planning when I can shit to fit it all in!

Judge Fish

I have low hopes I'll get to see this in cinemas in my neck of the woods, unfortunately. The fact that it is supposed to open next week, yet you still can't order tickets online for it (where everything else can be advance booked for), pretty much confirms my worst fears, that the poor US showing will mean that this gets a very limited Australian run, and that limitation always seems to miss my state entirely. Which always seems to happen with the few films that I'm most interesting in seeing.

Hope I'm wrong though, as I've been hanging out to see the film for what seems like forever now. Got a feeling that I'll be importing from the UK when it hits shiny disc though.

Oh, and just for the record, Takeshi Kitano's version of Zatoichi was superb.

Bloop.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: MrHorizontal on 16 October, 2012, 12:38:03 PMI didn't mean to point it out in a bad light... it's just that it had to make me think why he did that, and by the very virtue I was doing that in this film actually pays homage to its quality. Compare and contrast something like Expendables 2, where you don't have to think very much (though I enjoyed that film a lot as it didn't take itself seriously).

I think the switching my brain off factor doesn't work so well for modern action flicks like Expendables 2 since they just seem to parody 80's flicks which were a parody in and of themselfs. Or mayebe it's because I just don't like anything with Stallone in it(nothing to do with Dredd 95 mind you).

Quote from: MrHorizontalAHA! Now you're talking at my level. Yup, Zatoichi the blind samurai is fantastic. If you like those films, I strongly suggest you watch another called Twilight Samurai, which is even better though not Takeshi Kitano, and there's another film that's about to hit our shores called Rurouni Kenshin, which is almost an exact replica of one of the best Anime's around (see http://kotaku.com/5938365/the-live-action-rurouni-kenshin-movie-is-a-nearly-perfect-film-adaptation for a review).

I have heard good things about Twilight Samurai which is pretty overdue on my to-watch list at this point.

I never watched the Rurouni Kenshin animated series or read the comic (or manga rather) but I do have the 4 part mini series called Samurai X, does this live action film have anything to do with that?

Quote from: MrHorizontalCurrently though I'm a bit overloaded between some seriously good telly (Homeland), re-reading Dredd progs from the beginning and an absolute megaton of work, so I'm literally planning when I can shit to fit it all in!

I know what you mean, I am currently stuck with a whole stackload of the 2000ad phonebook catalog which consists of Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper, Nemesis and ABC Warriors.

Quote from: Judge FishOh, and just for the record, Takeshi Kitano's version of Zatoichi was superb.

Indeed, but I prefer not to compare it with the original series of films starring Shintaro Katsu and think of it as a standalone Kitano film. Love the character though.

And while we're on the subject of Kitano films, I watched Outrage recently. Brutally unpleasant to say the least, even for Kitano standards.

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

MrHorizontal

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 17 October, 2012, 11:28:21 AM
I think the switching my brain off factor doesn't work so well for modern action flicks like Expendables 2 since they just seem to parody 80's flicks which were a parody in and of themselfs. Or mayebe it's because I just don't like anything with Stallone in it(nothing to do with Dredd 95 mind you).

lol. Well I'm certainly not going to defend Stallone or Expendables 2.

I was just saying that's a film you couldn't care less about plot holes, because it's crap and doesn't make you want to pay attention.

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 17 October, 2012, 11:28:21 AMI have heard good things about Twilight Samurai which is pretty overdue on my to-watch list at this point.

On the other hand, this is a great film. Quite harrowing at times, but it's a story of how honour can lead to demise and then vindication. In a rigid society like feudal Japan, this is life and death business.

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 17 October, 2012, 11:28:21 AMI never watched the Rurouni Kenshin animated series or read the comic (or manga rather) but I do have the 4 part mini series called Samurai X, does this live action film have anything to do with that?

Samurai X and Rurouni Kenshin are used interchangeably - you most probably have the Trust & Betrayal OVA, which is a concise version of the whole story that fills in pieces the film misses and without the padding of the series.

While there are a couple of other OVA's that present arcs (Reflections & Cage of Flames), the film (Requiem for Patriots), the 3-season/95-episode series and the Trust & Betrayal OVA are 3 different representations of the same base story, so I'd expect this new film to depict this.

Quote from: Judge FishOh, and just for the record, Takeshi Kitano's version of Zatoichi was superb.

Indeed, but I prefer not to compare it with the original series of films starring Shintaro Katsu and think of it as a standalone Kitano film. Love the character though.

And while we're on the subject of Kitano films, I watched Outrage recently. Brutally unpleasant to say the least, even for Kitano standards.

Hadn't heard of Outrage yet... on my watchlist now. We just don't get exposure to these films in the UK  :(

BTW - If anyone doesn't know who Kitano is, then you have a duty to watch Battle Royale and in the process earn the right to completely destroy a Hollywood teenage angst movie released earlier this year.

Judge Fish

Still haven't seen Outrage, not sure why. Just seems to have been one of those films that I meant to watch but never quite got around to. I really should rectify that. In fact, isn't there a sequel to Outrage coming out soon?

As for the original Zatoichi, those were indeed great fun. I haven't watched those for the longest time, but I went on a huge Samurai kick quite a few years back after being introduced to the greatness of Kurasawa, and then tearing through any film of his I could find. I then went about making my way through all of the Zatoichi films (I still haven't seen the 70's tv series though), as well as stuff like the One Armed Swordsman, Lone Wolf & Cub, Mifune's Samurai trilogy, the Satan's Sword trilogy, Lady Snowblood, the Crimson Bat series, and so on. Good times.
Bloop.

jannerboyuk

Quote from: Judge Fish on 17 October, 2012, 02:00:00 AM
I have low hopes I'll get to see this in cinemas in my neck of the woods, unfortunately. The fact that it is supposed to open next week, yet you still can't order tickets online for it (where everything else can be advance booked for), pretty much confirms my worst fears, that the poor US showing will mean that this gets a very limited Australian run, and that limitation always seems to miss my state entirely. Which always seems to happen with the few films that I'm most interesting in seeing.

Hope I'm wrong though, as I've been hanging out to see the film for what seems like forever now. Got a feeling that I'll be importing from the UK when it hits shiny disc though.

Oh, and just for the record, Takeshi Kitano's version of Zatoichi was superb.
why do other countries defer to yank tastes so much? there have been loads of films (someone broke down how well the golden compass did outside the states) that have done serious money despite the yanks not liking it. They have their tastes but why would they automatically translate to oz? is it a case of cultural cringe?

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Judge Fish

Because men in suits tend to take their cues from other men in suits, and the mecca for being a corporate suit is surely America, thus that is where such people tend take their default cues from, unless something else proves another way (such as a film already being a big hit elsewhere, and thus 'worth the risk').

Depressing really. 
Bloop.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: MrHorizontal linklol. Well I'm certainly not going to defend Stallone or Expendables 2.

I was just saying that's a film you couldn't care less about plot holes, because it's crap and doesn't make you want to pay attention.

Oh I know what you mean, I'm just saying I prefer the classics like Commando and Conan the Barbarian and to an extent Total Recall. Those films to me are the ultimate in mindless testothstrone pump action fun. Todays flicks like the afformentioned Expendables just make it too gimmicky.

Quote from: MrHorizontalOn the other hand, this is a great film. Quite harrowing at times, but it's a story of how honour can lead to demise and then vindication. In a rigid society like feudal Japan, this is life and death business.

I've always digged the japanese code of honor, especially the Samurai's.

Quote from: MrHorizontalWhile there are a couple of other OVA's that present arcs (Reflections & Cage of Flames), the film (Requiem for Patriots), the 3-season/95-episode series and the Trust & Betrayal OVA are 3 different representations of the same base story, so I'd expect this new film to depict this.

So in other words they are all different versions of the same story. I find this convenient as I have heard the 3 season/95 episode series can  be a bit of a drag.

Interestingly, I always thought the feature film was set after the events of Samurai X Trust & Betrayal.

Quote from: MrHorizontalHadn't heard of Outrage yet... on my watchlist now. We just don't get exposure to these films in the UK

It's availabe on Amazonuk. He's made a few films before that which I haven't really looked into.

Regarding Outrage, it's a good ganster flick but don't expect any of the light humor or human sympathy from films like Sonatine or Hana-bi. In this film everyone is a bit of a bastard, even Kitano.

Quote from: MrHorizontalBTW - If anyone doesn't know who Kitano is, then you have a duty to watch Battle Royale and in the process earn the right to completely destroy a Hollywood teenage angst movie released earlier this year.

Ah, Battle Royal. I geuss that film was everyone's exposure to Kitano in the west let alone what a sick film that was at the time, although in hindsite I prefer the original novel by Koushun Takami.

Quote from: Judge FishAs for the original Zatoichi, those were indeed great fun. I haven't watched those for the longest time, but I went on a huge Samurai kick quite a few years back after being introduced to the greatness of Kurasawa, and then tearing through any film of his I could find. I then went about making my way through all of the Zatoichi films (I still haven't seen the 70's tv series though), as well as stuff like the One Armed Swordsman, Lone Wolf & Cub, Mifune's Samurai trilogy, the Satan's Sword trilogy, Lady Snowblood, the Crimson Bat series, and so on. Good times.

Ah, Lone Wolf and Cub! I still regard those films as massively ahead of their time in terms of the gory violence and use of practical effects. Talk about a successful blend of action, violence and human drama, this stuff is the cream of the crop for samurai flicks and Tomisaburo Wakayame is a total badass with the sword who can give even Mifune a run for his money! And I'll damn near watch any flick where Mifune carries a sword! Sword of Doom and Samurai Rebellion are pretty damn good films as well.