Main Menu

Alien remake/reboot????

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 May, 2009, 11:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

This might fall into the category of rumour mongering at this time but I've stumbled across some talk of Ridley Scott being involved in some kinda of reinvention of the Aliens franchise.

//http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/27/carl-erik-rinsch-to-direct-alien-remake/

Now if they hadn't made such an unholy mess of the whole Alien vs Predator thing then I would see absolutely no sense in this. Not sure it needs doing anyway now.

That said why is Hollywood so bereft of ideas that so many things that have gone off the tracks, or gone out of date are having to be relaunched or otherwise snaffled from tv, comics or other media. I personally think the whole film industry needs to look very closely at whats unique about a 1 1/2 - 2 hour (not 3 hour please!) bit of cinema and try coming up with ideas unique to that media that play to its strenghts or long term there is real trouble ahead.

the shutdown man

I was reading about this on Empire, they say it may not be a remake exactly, but an "origin" story. I don't know if that's better or worse, but frankly, this sounds like a bad idea.

I'm not automatically against remakes, some of them can be good, but some films just cannot be improved on. I was reading an interview with Tony Scott about the new Pelham 123, and he said something which just summed up the wrong attitude to have when doing a remake. "Even when I saw [the original] back in the '70s I had thought it didn't make sense. Holding hostages in a subway - it's a cul-de-sac."  The plan was brilliant in the original, and he's going into the remake thinking it was stupid?
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

The Legendary Shark

I lent my step-grandson my DVDs of Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars IV. He thought they were all boring. Computer games have ruined the simple joys of movies for him - and reading a book or even a comic? Forget it. He made me feel very old and irrelevant. *sigh*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richmond Clements

Quote from: "the_legendary_shark"I lent my step-grandson my DVDs of Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars IV. He thought they were all boring. Computer games have ruined the simple joys of movies for him - and reading a book or even a comic? Forget it. He made me feel very old and irrelevant. *sigh*

Raiders??? Boring?

I can sort of understand how someone can say that about the other two- with Ep iv, for example, there's a whole hour at there where nothing happens but people talking (that's not a crit by the way, I dearly love this movie)- but Raiders? It barely sits still!

Alien is still a bit beyond my two (though mt eldest [13 this week!] wants to watch it), but they love the other two.

The Legendary Shark

I know. It was the accusation that Raiders is boring that really tore me up inside, too. I guess making an Indy character do things in a gamespace is more interesting that watching Indy do things on the screen.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

If they're doing a prequel, I don't think that'd be a bad idea. I remember Ridley Scott talking about a 'planet of the aliens' in one of the documentaries on the Quadrilogy box-set, and I'd love to see that. I rather saw it as a sequel rather than a prequel though. I.e. a sequel that looks back rather than actually setting it back... if that makes sense. That way Ripley (or rather Ripley mark 2) could be included. She obviously woudn't if it were a prequel, and I like the idea of the character getting some final closure. That being said a prequel could certainly work.

I don't want a remake though. It's just not needed. I'll admit, I found the start of Alien rather boring but I think the Director's cut clears that up a little. Even if they had never done the DC version, I wouldn't want it remade.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote[This might fall into the category of rumour mongering at this time but I've stumbled across some talk of Ridley Scott being involved in some kinda of reinvention of the Aliens franchise.
/quote]

I wouldn't be apposed to digital remastering of what was already made, perhaps with some extra scenes thrown in.

QuoteI was reading about this on Empire, they say it may not be a remake exactly, but an "origin" story. I don't know if that's better or worse, but frankly, this sounds like a bad idea.

That sounds even better. I know that there was a graphic novel written about those "Space Jockies." It's part of the expanded material and only loosely based on the original work. It very rare, out of Print, but might be a interesting read if you find it.

Quotelent my step-grandson my DVDs of Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars IV.

Still like them, but probably couldn't stand to watch them every week. Perhaps a few times a year at the most. The problems of cable televison.

Anything might get boring if you watched it too much.

QuoteAlien is still a bit beyond my two (though mt eldest [13 this week!] wants to watch it), but they love the other two.

Alien scared the hell out me when I was young. When it was shown on televison for the first time I guess.

I guess it's the haunted feeling of this interior of this huge spaceship, the darkened corridors, stuff like that. Then theres the idea of this stealthy xenomorph sneaking around this huge ship hunting down all the crew members one by one, either eating them on the spot or half digesting them or coccooning them and spilling some chemical enzyme on them that will turn them into eggs that will hatch more face huggers. The face huggers were a suitaby creepy idea, totally original for their time and the idea how they worked within the alien life cycle. The Alien drone/warrior/Queen  --it had the potenial to be all three-- particular design by H. Giger. It's exoskeleton, the telescopic inner mouth, icidic blood that made it dangerous to melee if it wasn't already. The lack of eyes, but still with the ability to sence and move in concert with it's fellow aliens in the other films when there s more than one.

The facehuggers leaping from the eggs and that chestburster scene scared the crap out of me when I was little. It didn't matter what happened for the rest of the film. That chestburster scene just added the Ceepy modifier for the rest of the  film with initial creepiness.

The other Alien films were not in the same leage as the orignal. Despite all their improvements and expansion of the original Alien mythology. They good though, but they had howevr lost the alot of the magic from the first film.

QuoteI know. It was the accusation that Raiders is boring that really tore me up inside, too.

Raiders. Great film, but can you really atch twenty times in a row. I think not and would be atounded if you said otherwise.

Buddy

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"This might fall into the category of rumour mongering at this time but I've stumbled across some talk of Ridley Scott being involved in some kinda of reinvention of the Aliens franchise.

//http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/27/carl-erik-rinsch-to-direct-alien-remake/

Now if they hadn't made such an unholy mess of the whole Alien vs Predator thing then I would see absolutely no sense in this. Not sure it needs doing anyway now.

That said why is Hollywood so bereft of ideas that so many things that have gone off the tracks, or gone out of date are having to be relaunched or otherwise snaffled from tv, comics or other media. I personally think the whole film industry needs to look very closely at whats unique about a 1 1/2 - 2 hour (not 3 hour please!) bit of cinema and try coming up with ideas unique to that media that play to its strenghts or long term there is real trouble ahead.

If I can be a bit of a pedant here it's actually a reboot of the ALIEN franchise.

Aliens is only one of the movies in the ALIEN franchise..... carry on.

Peter Wolf

I am sick and tired of the term "Reboot".

Its not a computer that has just had new software installed.

Stop it as its stupid.

Grrrrrrr....................

Normally i am dead against this sort of thing and i am sick to death of Hollywood and their creative bankrupcy and lazy assed rubbish.

No confidence

I will make an exception to this because i like Ridley Scott .Theres nothing wrong with a prequel if he is directing as it will add something new so how can that be a bad thing ?

I would in principle object to a remake of Alien if anyone else other than Ridley Scott was involved but not if he is directing even if its needed or not.

It would be a bad idea otherwise.

Write or create something new FFS.

Write new scripts for new Alien films.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death