Main Menu

Al's Baby

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 June, 2009, 12:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

My re-read has taken a slight detour before what I thought would be the start of the issues I'd never read with issue 1000 and I'm going through the first couple of volumes of the Megazine.

Assuming that everyone thinks that America is a classic the first thing to really grab me was how brillant Al's Baby was. Now I haven't heard much talk about this. It doesn't seem to be percieved as classic Wagner (I might well be worong here????) but I loved ever clowning minute of it. Its just classic comedy Wagner and brillantly done. All this and glorious Ezquerra art too boot make it for me a bit of a classic. So I'd be really intrigued to hear what others think?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"It doesn't seem to be percieved as classic Wagner (I might well be wrong here????)

I thought it was regarded as one of his best?

Loved Al's Baby, though I only came to it via the EE a few years back. Would love to read series II and III (or, better yet, a lovely new GN of all three series, hint hint hint?)
@jamesfeistdraws

Grant Goggans

Oh, absolutely.  Al's Baby is a complete classic.  A big collected edition is long overdue!

Devons Daddy

ALs baby.

true mega city one style take on an old chestnut. with laugh out loud moments and sheer madness amongst carnage.
it is a classic, of the highest order.
superb art, brillant script, all coming together with results that make it a page turning spectular.

another of our finest moments.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

I, Cosh

I only read it when it was in the EE and thought it was an absolute cracker. I remember forcing my then-girlfriend to read it and her saying, in a befuddled tone which indicated how much her belief that reading comics was for mentally subnormal infants had been shaken: "But this is really funny!"
We never really die.

TheEdge

"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Colin YNWA

Arh it very reassuring to hear that it is held in high regard and it was just me not knowing that!

The Monarch

Its creator owned am I right?

radiator

AFAIK it's only a Dredd spin-off in the loosest possible sense - it was intended for another magazine, but ended up in the Meg, which at the time was solely for Dreddworld material, so an intro page was added to contextualize it in Dredd's history.

Only ever really read the third series, but would certainly buy a collected GN of the whole lot.

ozebane

Al's Baby is fantastic.
Read it first a couple of years ago in an extreme edition and it's been one of my faves ever since.
Fantastically written.

Colin YNWA

Just read the sequel and it ain't half fun as well!

Mike Gloady

I have to join my voice with those requesting a nice GN of all three runs.  

And I'm not talking those little thingys they give away with the meg these days (lovely though they are).  A nice fat, glossy papered and available in bookshops and comic shops for the unwary to accidentally stumble upon and fall in love with.

Although if they DO do that, is it possible for Thargs print-bots to remove the Dreddworld framing sequence that I remember with a cringe?  Utterly unnecessary and dreadful.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Colin YNWA

Well just finished the three Al Baby story and while it dosn't offer anything new it was still fun. This one seemed to be treading water a little. It is however a shame that there's no book 4 (this is right?) as elevating Alo to Godfather may have made for an interesting story rather than just a cute ending?

Mike Gloady

Is this where we start a petition for a collection, Colin YNWA?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Colin YNWA

I thinkn there's a lot of people who want it. Might need to pester John and Carlos though not Tharg as as some said above its creator owned.