Main Menu

Asylum

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 February, 2010, 10:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I found Asylum a bit of a muddled strip. I never quite got to what it was aiming at in this first story. A couple of people have mentioned in this section that here is room in 2000ad for a romps that are there mainly to support a good old bit of action and fun all presented with glorious art. I'd certainly support that idea, and there's countless stories to evidence this working brilliantly in the comic.

When this is used as the default setting, as I've speculated, not without evidence, partly resulted from the mandate Andy Diggle gave his creators, it can misfire as often as not. I think this could be the perfect example of that.

We're well into Matt Smith's reign as Tharg's little helper at this point but it's fair to say much of the ethos that his predecessor gave remains. Whether this is because stuff was in the pipe line already, or whether, as seems likely, at this point it's just that Matt Smith agrees I can only guess at. There is clear evidence that he is trying to get more of a balance to things and stories that need space are getting it (see my review of Red Seas) but sometime it feels like strips are cramped into the 8 (or 9) part format that Andy Diggle liked.

Asylum for me is an example of this... maybe. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be and mixes many different things up. It has a real 'tough cop' vibe to it, it toys with being a Nemesis tribute strip it even plays with being a fun examination of alien cultures. Throwing it all together in such a small space means none of that really gels or works completely. Given more space could it have pulled off all it wanted to be? Not sure maybe it just lacked direction? It certainly had some fun bits to it and Boo Cook's art is ok, if a bit cute for my palate, but bits of it don't stick together.

The way the female led, whose name escapes me sorry, flips sides is utterly unconvincing and seems very heavy handed. With more space could this have been worked through, with the other issues I have? You know I'm just not sure.

Confused.

The Monarch

The scene with that cute little alien being butchered still makes me sad

but lets not speak of Asylum 2....that never happened

Colin YNWA

Well just finished Asylum 2 and it was better. It felt like it had more focus but I still didn't enjoy it massively. You see, and I know I should whisper this, I'm not a big fan of Boo Cook's art. Don't get me wrong its good art and I know I'm completely in the minority (possibly of one?) but it doesn't work for me. Its a taste thing and I have a horrible feeling this may have distracted me too much in this case...or did it?

Now interestingly I really enjoyed 'Dead Man Walking' and the art didn't detract from that at all so maybe its the atmosphere that was trying to be portrayed didn't sit well with Boo's style?

I don't know when I finished the story I tried to work out why I hadn't enjoyed it too much as it certainly worked as a story, the characters by and large worked better than in the first story. It felt as if it had more direction and a clarity of vision I found lacking in the first one. Just couldn't work it out. Then it occured to me.

I'm not a big fan of Boo Cook's art, there's nothing wrong with Boo Cook's art he's clearly a very talented fella and sometimes I look at it and wonder why on Earth I don't go mad for it, but I don't. So I guess that's it sometimes stuff just don't work for you as an individual, nowt wrong with it, nowt to be analysised, nowted to pick apart. Some time you have to just shrug and say well done fella's just not for me.

Trout

Just a quick message to applaud Colin for his ceaseless efforts in aid of on-topic threads.

I do enjoy his little critiques of 2000AD strips of the past, and I appreciate the extra peppering of comics content he adds to the board.

Well done, sir.

- Trout

Tiplodocus

HERE HERE.

I think you've summed up my thoughts pretty well here.

I understand what you mean about the "boo"tiful art.  Again, I can see that I should love it because of everything it does so well but... I just don't.  I had similar feelings about Simon Davis but then Ampney Crucis came along and it seemed a perfect match of strip and art.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

CrazyFoxMachine

mmm - I don't remember Asylum 2 at ALL beyond Boo's outstanding art - something about an island?

Anyway - I'd been watching Boo from Future Shocks and gone "BLIMEY I LOVE THIS ART" and then when the full series of Asylum came to the plate I can recall not enjoying it in a large quantity. Strangely enough I don't think it was until the second Asylum that I really started to enjoy him as an artist again.

AND I HAVE DONE EVER SINCE.

maryanddavid

Didnt like this story either, the only thing I can say in its defence is that I remember it.
As for Boo Cooks art, I remember that Future Shock as well, and loving the art, and then the rest of the art up to Damantion Station not loving it at all. I think with Damnation station I have found the reason for the dislike, and thats the colour. The colour in Damantion Station has no vivid pinks!! Its  well coloured bright art that looks great.

David

I, Cosh

I wasn't too keen on Boo Cook's art the first few times I saw it. The turning point for me was the Dredd story he did shortly after Total War called Descent. It's not long after this, but he really seemed to have stepped up a gear. I particularly remember a full page montage of various vampires from history which blends b&w pencils into his more usual, colourful approach. It was quite something.

Since then, loved Harry Kipling and now, with Damnation Station, he seems to have improved again. It's still recognisably the same artist with the same kinds of detailing and the same love of colours but it's somehow cleaner and neater too.

Groovy.
We never really die.