Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Survival Geeks vs. Robo-Hunter (Sam) Rd 4 Heat 7

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 July, 2022, 06:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I liked Robo-Hunter as a kid, but re-reading it in the UC shows it up as reeking of sexism as racism. There are good bits, and I love Gibson's robot designs, but it's not enough to wash off the stench. Survival Geeks is fun and although it isn't going to win this competition, I'd happily see it win this round.

Funt Solo

Robo-Hunter had some moments - the creativity of masses of robots from Gibson was great, the comedy dynamic introduced with Hoagy and Stogie worked well, and there were some grand adventures (Day of the Droids, The Beast of Blackheart Manor & The Slaying of Slade). The downsides were the football and the singing, and then that sadistic git Millar gleefully smashing up all the toys and being continually rewarded for it.

Survival Geeks, though, is one of the modern classics. The lowest point (Slack N' Hash) was still good enough, and it had the decency to walk out on a high. And then kick the door back down with 'Splorers.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

You know, I'd not even factored Millar into the Robo-Hunter decision. But... yeah.

Southstreeter

Survival Geeks surprisingly, as I don't usually like modern humour strips. After a few series I really started looking forward to it being in the prog. Robohunter would be a nostalgia vote. I have fond memories, but haven't read it in years.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

BPP

Ian Gibson, Sam, Stogie, Hoagy, Kidd, crest cutie.... Robohunter
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Huey2

Robo-Hunter! Easily the best thing from the first 100 probs and a strip that really pushed the prob into a more sci-fi direction.
Highlights?
All of Versus
The Teeny meks
Kidd's would-be assassin is finally unveiled
Slade trapped in the chair for a whole episode
Every single panel of Farewell my billions

Magnetica

I grew to love Survival Geeks, after not being that impressed to begin with. It's definitely the best of the modern comedy strips and miles ahead of the likes of Bek and Karl.

As for Robo-Hunter, I decided very early on to ignore anything that's not Wagner /Grant and Gibson. And when you do, what you re left with are some of the very best strips to ever appear in 2000AD.

Sean SD

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 07 July, 2022, 07:11:01 AM
Based purely on the Wagner/Grant/Gibson era, Robo-Hunter.

Same here so one more vote for Robo-hunter

Colin YNWA

With a day to go I'm jusy not sure whose ahead here. Robo-hunter seems to be rallying and so may have sneaked ahead. Either way last day votes if they are out there may swing this. I'll count up tomorrow morning.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Dash Decent

Quote from: Huey2 on 07 July, 2022, 09:47:57 PM
Robo-Hunter! Easily the best thing from the first 100 probs and a strip that really pushed the prob into a more sci-fi direction.
Highlights?
All of Versus
The Teeny meks
Kidd's would-be assassin is finally unveiled
Slade trapped in the chair for a whole episode
Every single panel of Farewell my billions

Yup!

Robo-hunter.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well I'm a little surprised by this. I can't say not pleasently, but still surprised. I thought the classic era RH - with all its problems would be enough to see it through. But not

Survival Geeks

will be searching for movie tropes in Round 5.

broodblik

In most cases nostalgia won. This was for me also a surprise. Geeks is one of those thrills when it started I genuinely disliked it but as time progress I got more into it and at the end it was a thrill I enjoyed
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.