Main Menu

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 12 May, 2013, 10:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemeanie

Just saw the second one, REALLY enjoyed it
More of a spy thing that a superhero one. Hell it was borderline A-Team at one point. Actually works better for me tbh. This was normal people with a comic book maguffin to work around.... so, you know, Agents of Shield. Glad it's not gonna be "generic super villain of the week" as that'd really start to show the budgetary restrictions quickly.

Was onboard for the second episode, am now really looking forward to the third

Rog69

I just watched the first and while it wasn't the greatest hour I've TV I've ever seen I will give it another couple of episodes. I think it could have used a guest appearance from one of the A-list hero's or even feature some of the lesser knowns though.

Am I the only one getting really tired of the super hero hitting the ground really fast and leaving a small crater in the tarmac and then standing there for a few seconds (or getting up from a crouched fist against the floor pose) routine?

von Boom

Quote from: Rog69 on 03 October, 2013, 11:34:13 PM
Am I the only one getting really tired of the super hero hitting the ground really fast and leaving a small crater in the tarmac and then standing there for a few seconds (or getting up from a crouched fist against the floor pose) routine?

Agreed. If cities had to continually repair the damage created by superheroes they'd soon be bankrupt and the heroes would be run out of town by the angry population have to pay ever rocketing property taxes.

Theblazeuk

Ah Marvel's Damage Control all over. That was a great idea.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: von Boom on 04 October, 2013, 01:09:46 PM
Quote from: Rog69 on 03 October, 2013, 11:34:13 PM

Agreed. If cities had to continually repair the damage created by superheroes they'd soon be bankrupt and the heroes would be run out of town by the angry population have to pay ever rocketing property taxes.
Man of Steel anyone?

Richmond Clements

well I enjoyed ep2. Don't understand people complaining it isn't dark... have you never seen a Marvel movie? And it also had a nice cameo [spoiler]to stop the people complaining[/spoiler]. Although that will not happen.

Jim_Campbell

Yeah, that was fun. I enjoyed it more than the first one, TBH... the show seems to be getting a lot of flak for not being something it's not affecting to be. Dammit, what's wrong with some fun, eh?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

Enjoyed it again this week. Love that plane too!

Professor Bear

My only real objective whinge would be that I'm utterly fucking sick of seeing in medias res openings on tv shows now - I mean sick to the back teeth of seeing "X hours earlier" appear onscreen.  At one point every single show I was watching for like a month opened in this way.
Anyway - I dunno why people want it dark beyond that was what Battlestar did and so they want everything to be that po-faced and lacking in awareness now, but AoS is a perfectly good SyFy Channel show from ten years ago about pretty people chasing fantasy-oriented McGuffins.  You can take that as a slag if you want, but I grew up with SyFy Channel shows and that is all I need to distract me from thinking about the unavoidable finality of death that awaits us all.  No wheels have been reinvented for the show, but then why would they do that?  I imagine if the makers have any A material they'd keep it for the films or for more personal projects.  It's a decent distraction is all.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 05 October, 2013, 01:02:58 AM
My only real objective whinge would be that I'm utterly fucking sick of seeing in medias res openings on tv shows now - I mean sick to the back teeth of seeing "X hours earlier" appear onscreen.

The teaser, as they call it, has unfortunately become ingrained in telly, from docs and game-shows to weekly dramas, and the reason why is simple: a short burst of emotive drama shorn of context has proven to grab the short attention span of viewers and make them watch or cofused enough not to switch channel. I hate it when it's on everything but it's generally an executive decision. They don't even need the few hours earlier slug as it's obvious what it is after the main title has broken things up. They should ditch the reflective voice-over as well especially when it's from the P.O.V. of a less strong character.

This week's ep. was all right; a lot sloppier in places than the pilot but like the pilot things improved after the first 15-20 minutes and I hope some acting lesson vouchers are on-hand for at least one of the cast. The tone fits well enough but it looks far cheaper than it should suggesting the production turn-a-round is pretty quick- maybe shot 2-3 weeks before broadcast. The Avengers-lite back and forth bickering doesn't work well enough to stop it from registering as just noise but these things are easily ironed-out if they decide to put flesh on these characters.

If it makes the break from relying on the plot points established in the films it can develop its own identity- I doubt we'll see most of the third-tier Marvel characters in the films so this is probably the best chance to ever see a live-action M.O.D.O.K.

Theblazeuk

I just thought episode 2 was boring. A cheap spy thriller, more in tune with Relic Hunter or some other dross than anything worth watching. The Marvel Universe connection was extremely thin. "It's a hydra laser!" does not sustain me. I felt dizzy after getting hit around the head so many times with the team-spirit bat this time.

I don't really like the plane. I don't want dark, I'm happy for fun - this just wasn't fun either. So much material to mine in the Marvel universe and this could literally have been the A-Team. Lots of techno gibberish diminished (and this was not of the Fringe style mad science but of the Star Trek writing team style of finding a complicated way of saying something very simple) any of the impact of the threat.

Just hope next episode has a better mcguffin or feels less obsessed with forcing teambuilding situations down my throat.

Tiplodocus

Quite liked that. I suspect it's a show aimed at young teens with just enough thrown in to keep the adults happy raather than other way round.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Well I enjoy both episodes!:)

I like the plane! Very Firefly!

Pop Culture Bandit

Episode 2 - "0-8-4"

It was nice to see a change in pace, with a macguffin device, as opposed to using a non-Marvel hero/villain of the week. Although, next week is rumoured to have Marvel villain, Graviton, in it, although he may not be named, as such. It seems to be getting there, but it's just lacking that spark and sense of direction that a lot of serial dramas seem to have. Maybe establishing a 'big bad' or some stronger over-arching storyline will give it a bit more oomph!

More detailed review here > http://popculturebandit.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-agents-of-shield-1x02-0-8-4.html

CheechFU

I'm not overly impressed with it so far, found it kinda boring. Hopefully it will pick up but I have doubts.