Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Roll-on the jumping-on prog!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

It'd help if I'd posted the link to the jumping on prog the day it gets published (which it still is, technically)...

2000AD Prog 178: Britain's No 1 Sci-Fi Hero!

Probably the best prog so far in the slog (there's been some good progs up to this point, and at least one of the stories in this prog will go downhill at some point, but for the time being...)

It's got the proper logo and everything ;)

sheridan

2000AD Prog 179: Strontium Dog on the trail of Willy Blanko! / Zarjaz Judge Dredd mobile starts this prog

Ron Smith paints his first comic strip in the pages of the galaxy's greatest (it's not what you think)...

sheridan

2000AD Prog 180: The Law is the Word!

When you're ripping off a picture to send in, don't use the cover of the very book that was adapted into a comic!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 25 January, 2020, 08:29:59 PM
2000AD Prog 179: Strontium Dog on the trail of Willy Blanko! / Zarjaz Judge Dredd mobile starts this prog

Ron Smith paints his first comic strip in the pages of the galaxy's greatest (it's not what you think)...

Let me stand in for Fox and shake my fist angrily at the Green Cross Code!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

ah the green cross code saga one of my fave bits from early spacespinner :lol:

sheridan

2000AD Prog 181: "It's taken my best shot... and it still won't die!"

Front cover: Carlos Ezquerra.  First story (starting on the inside back cover): art by Carlos Ezquerra.  Last story: Carlos Ezquerra.  Back cover: Carlos Ezquerra.  There's some artists who get a bit of a look in in the intervening pages.

Oh, and the Judge Child Quest is completed.  Well, finishes - definitions of 'complete' may vary.

Aaron A Aardvark

Why, I 'member one time he worse slippers to kick a man to detah – jus' so's it wouldn't hurt so bad!

One of my all time favourite lines,  :lol:

Fungus

My first prog *sniff*.
Loved The Tidy-Up Droid, and Dredd was pretty overwhelming/confusing... Last part of a mega epic, I just drooled over Ron's art and made happy sounds 😋

sheridan

Quote from: Fungus on 27 January, 2020, 03:51:07 PM
My first prog *sniff*.
Loved The Tidy-Up Droid, and Dredd was pretty overwhelming/confusing... Last part of a mega epic, I just drooled over Ron's art and made happy sounds 😋

I sort of had similar - my first prog had the end of two stories but the beginning of another long running series.

But today...
2000AD Prog 182: "These blocks are under arrest!"

Alpha and Wulf go after a big bounty - he's not named, but looks a bit like a film star of the 1930s...

Amazingly - while the 1980/1981 annuals are on the shelves, the Tharg story features panels from a story that'll run in the 1981/1982 annuals!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 28 January, 2020, 11:42:53 AM
Amazingly - while the 1980/1981 annuals are on the shelves, the Tharg story features panels from a story that'll run in the 1981/1982 annuals!

From what I can tell the annuals are usually compiled around March of the year they come out in, so maybe Bolland was currently working on that story when this was put together in what...September? It's hard to figure out the lead times on these!

But mostly I wanted to pop in and spread my theory that this Tharg story took place because in the 81 Dredd annual it was reveiled that John Howard was actually John Wagner, so that pen name has been blown! Now it's time to bring TB Grover in, which might also represent the Wagner/Grant combine instead of just Wagner writing things. Though weirdly Ace Trucking will be credited as Grant/Grover.

Aaron A Aardvark

2000 AD was  ancient by IPC standards at this point. The writers seem more confident in planning long term storylines, Block War seeds the Apocalypse War but that's wayyyyyy in the future. I don't suppose Wagner/Grant were planning that far ahead but maybe they already had ideas.

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 28 January, 2020, 11:40:40 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 28 January, 2020, 11:42:53 AM

From what I can tell the annuals are usually compiled around March of the year they come out in, so maybe Bolland was currently working on that story when this was put together in what...September? It's hard to figure out the lead times on these!

But mostly I wanted to pop in and spread my theory that this Tharg story took place because in the 81 Dredd annual it was reveiled that John Howard was actually John Wagner, so that pen name has been blown! Now it's time to bring TB Grover in, which might also represent the Wagner/Grant combine instead of just Wagner writing things. Though weirdly Ace Trucking will be credited as Grant/Grover.

That's what i assumed, but I was surprised when I read the next prog (update should be around eleven, GMT).

sheridan

2000AD Prog 183: "The predators have blown the dam... we're caught in a death-trap!"

Now that John Howard is working on reception, who have they drafted in to cover for John Wagner and Alan Grant?  He's been twiddling his thumbs since Blackhawk (and confusingly I think he was Alan Grant and Kelvin Gosnell on that story).

...it's Alvin Gaunt!

sheridan

2000AD Prog 184: "No-one apes the law!"

Bormann's back, but he's not pretending to be a time agent this time.

Also, didn't mention it eariler, but the Mean Arena takes place next year, 2021!