Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judo

custodian?  I should probably take chopper out a frame i found in the street then...
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Simon Beigh

Blimey, seems like I tipped a load of controversy all over this thread!  :o

I guess I meant that if you start to collect a few more pieces, then a proper art folder is better than stacking them one of top of the other is a drawer somewhere. I probably should have made that a bit clearer  :D

Still, don't let me stop a good ruckus!

BTW, my Ron Smith is framed and on my wall. The rest are safely tucked away in folders. In a few months, I shall choose another one of my collection, frame it, take down the Ron Smith and display something new. A nice compromise between the devils of light bleaching and enjoyment of your art. Although I get the folders out quite a lot to have a good flick through...

Fatboydale

Quote from: Judge Jack on 22 July, 2013, 09:35:23 PM
Didnt know you had a Fiends of the Eastern Front page,  ;)

hmmmm that reminds me ....

hippynumber1

Now that's piqued my interest! :o

Recrewt

Thanks for the comments folks and I can assure you that the intention is for Rogue to be on the wall.  I am quite lucky in that I have a room with no windows (not the toilet  ;) - some strange extension) so I can hang something in there and guarantee virtually no sunlight damage. 

I appreciate the tip though SimeonB and as you say, if I continue with more art in the future then I could end up with more than I can display at once.  Out of interest - which art folders did you go with?

SuperSurfer - no offence mate, I know what you mean about Simon Coleby.  According to Dale the John Burns colourist is actually the nephew of the artist.  I did some googling and I think he has worked on transformers and sonic as well as tooth but it starts getting confusing as the info out there keeps confusing the two.

Sideshow Bob

I truly love my small art collection and have them all framed and hung on the walls in my guitar room........( Where I practice guitar ) ......
The very first 2 pieces I bought was in 1993 ( Sean Phillips ....Devlin Waugh ) have been framed since I got them,  and have suffered no 'visible' damage as far as I can see......
I took them all out of the frames when I went to a Forbidden Planet 'signing' in Edinburgh recently( FCBD),  and Sean Phillips kindly signed all the borders of them for me....( Best Wishes, Sean Phillips ) .....and I was astonished at how vibrant they were when removed from behind the glass.....( 2 of the pieces are 20 years old and the other 3 are 15 years old ).....The glass offers some kind of protection, I suppose....

Admittedly, they are not ever in direct sunlight, and are always behind glass,   but they are always on display....
That's why I bought them in the first place........to look at and admire, ( daily ), and it always makes me smile when I look at them.....

Each to their own I suppose,  but why have them 'hidden away' in folders...???...Even if you do look at them often...
I feel the same way about my guitars....I've got a Gibson Les Paul Antique Classic and a Rory Gallagher Fender Stratocaster Custom shop replica, and play them both as often as I can........Why have them and not play them ??....
They are made to be played, so don't hide them away....That's a bit 'spinal tap'............" Don't touch it,, don't even look at it !!! "......Pfft !!
For me,  it's the same with artwork......It's there to be looked at !!.....With a 'little care' they'll be fine.....Get them framed and on display..... :D
Cheers...
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Simon Beigh

Recrewt - I got some A4 and A3 books with plastic slips inside to store the smaller pieces and an A2 art folder with plastic inserts for the larger stuff. You can get them at any good art store or some of the bigger chain shops like The Range or Hobbycraft. Loads of choice online too but quality varies which is why I bought mine at a local shop.

Bob - yep what works for one won't work for the next. Galleries around the world have more art than they can hang and bring it out for exhibitions and its not uncommon for private art collectors to do the same. I'm thinking of theming my displays, so having a Dredd display or a Paul Marshall or whatever. I like to change the art in my office at home around a bit to keep it fresh and interesting.

Talking of your stuff, is your Flint Mongrel in his frame yet? :) I hope he's not at the back of a drawer somewhere ;)

Sideshow Bob

SimeonB...
I wasn't having a 'dig' at anyone.....Honest..... :D
My art collection isn't big enough to change around much, ( I wish it was ).....and is limited to only one room in the house as the Mrs can't stand it !!!....." Comic book nonsense apparently "....

Anyway, my Bob Molesworth Mongrol commission and the Henry Flint Mongrol piece, are at the 'framers' and I get them back this Thursday,  & will post a quick photo then......I'm getting them both together in the one frame, as I thought it would look more interesting that way....Side by side...two views of the same character sort of thing !!....

Cheers...
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

o1s1n

Just make sure the artwork is out of sunlight, it's framed properly (art not touching the glass and on acid free backing) and not in a humid room - it'll be fine.

If you think comic art is something to worry about degrading, try collecting animation cels! They'd break your heart. I really can't bring myself to display any on the walls as the trace lines (photocopied onto acetate) vanish incredibly easy. Have bought a few on ebay over the years where the trace line fade wasn't visible in the auction.

When I got the cel in my hands, someone clearly had it on the wall for years - no trace lines and the image basically looks like a load of coloured mud :( - completely destroyed piece of art.

Actually it only happened to me recently enough. Got a full refund, but it still doesn't take away from the horror of seeing art destroyed.  :(

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: o1s1n on 24 July, 2013, 11:51:18 AM
Just make sure the artwork is out of sunlight, it's framed properly (art not touching the glass and on acid free backing) and not in a humid room - it'll be fine.

Yep, I'm with you on that o1s1n..............Mine's is 15 - 20 years old and still undamaged....Get it framed and 'on display'........

Sorry to hear about your cel artwork deteriorating like that........I didn't know it was as 'fragile' as that...... :'(
Is there no 'uv protected / resistant' glass that is available, so that Cels can be displayed ???.....If not,  then an art folder is the only way in that case....
Cheers

Skullmo

If art is done in markers it will fade whether you have it in light or not :-(
It's a joke. I was joking.

Frank

Quote from: Skullmo on 24 July, 2013, 01:35:03 PM

Aye, some stuff I did years ago which has never seen the light of day for more than a few minutes since is still turning brown. Everything fades a little, but sunlight's a definite aggravator - I'm not sure if having art behind glass makes an awful lot of difference, since the light hitting it has already been refracted through the glass of your home's windows at least once before reaching the art anyway.

Glass doesn't stop UV damage to skin, so it seems doubtful that it would perform that function for other organic material, such as paper and ink. You've seen what happens to a newspaper left in a room over days or months, or the different yellowing of paintwork which catches the sun compared to paint on a surface in a more shaded area of the room; same applies to art. Indirect sunlight doesn't work as quickly, but it has the same effect.

chiefy2shoes

Can anyone recommend a good framer either online or in the Wimbledon or Guildford areas? I have a piece that is 105cm x 29.7cm so need to get a custom frame built. Looking online I can probably get something for around £70 but when I popped into a framing shop yesterday I was getting quotes of around £150 min. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

SuperSurfer

Next someone will come along and say they store their comics in sealed bags. Whatever next.

o1s1n

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 24 July, 2013, 12:19:40 PM

Yep, I'm with you on that o1s1n..............Mine's is 15 - 20 years old and still undamaged....Get it framed and 'on display'........

Sorry to hear about your cel artwork deteriorating like that........I didn't know it was as 'fragile' as that...... :'(
Is there no 'uv protected / resistant' glass that is available, so that Cels can be displayed ???.....If not,  then an art folder is the only way in that case....
Cheers

Yeah I did look into UV protective glass a few years back, it works to a degree, but won't stop the fading 100%. I keep them all in acid free bags (open at one end to let the gasses circulate) and in Itoya A4 art folders. The Itoya folders are great, the only down side to them is you can't get them over here - only in the US! So they get a bit expensive with the postage on top. Definitely worth the investment though.

Just on the note of gasses, for those with framed artwork, it's good to 'air them out' now and again. Open it up and let gasses out.

Quote from: Skullmo on 24 July, 2013, 01:35:03 PM

It's awful alright isn't it? The top panel in my first JH page has almost totally vanished. I think it was a combination of felt tip marker and water based ink.

Other pages aren't as bad thankfully :)