Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Karl Richardson's pencil prelim for the cover to Prog 1788 - Grey Area

Thanks for sorting this out for me Simeon...

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Fatboydale

i posted this on an old thread which no one is likely to read ....

I have certain artists i have been looking for years Dave d'Antiquis  was one, nobody knew where he was ....apart from a comic dealer on here , who would not pass his email to me ... so i did it the hard way ..

I found him using all my contacts and £11 ( grrr long story ) well i got an email from him tonight ...... cmon......

He's got nowt left , all given away .... shit or bust , but sometimes its not about just buying artwork ...

Now to find my last few 2000ad artist's ....

hippynumber1

Now that's saddened me; I was saying to Skullmo just the other week how much I'd like a Brigand Doom page...  :(

Spikes

Nice to see you snagged a Richardson prelim, Mark - good stuff - as with Simeon's also.
And as youve both snagged prelims, is his finished art now purely digital?

And before any new art lands, Mr Links posts got me thinking again about something that had been bubbling away in my subconscious....

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 May, 1974, 04:35:25 AM

Like most of ye, I'm a 'lifer', so am heaping praise towards Henry Flint in full knowledge of who and what has come before him.
But consider this; 2014 will mark 20 years of Flint's prolific presence in the Prog.
He's grown from accomplished artist into Betelgeusian Treasure in that time, illustrating dozens of different strips- Dredd, Rogue, Nemesis, Dante, Zombo, Shakara to name a few- and his signature style is, to me, a potent blend of the very best of vintage & modern 2000AD.

Until the last couple of years or so, i was solidly in the 'vintage' camp. Id kept up to date with various trades through the years, and could admire (greatly) the new talent on art duties, but still i was fairly in the past. Now back buying the prog for the last year and a bit, i find my outlook has been broadened considerably.

When threads do pop up for 'who's best....', the nearest we get to a broad conscenus is picking somebody from the usual list of the older 'big names'. Now, could a 'newer' artists ever eclipes these giants?
Id like to think its a real possibility.
OK, minor waffling over. Now where's the art!  ;)

malak brood

QuoteUntil the last couple of years or so, i was solidly in the 'vintage' camp. Id kept up to date with various trades through the years, and could admire (greatly) the new talent on art duties, but still i was fairly in the past. Now back buying the prog for the last year and a bit, i find my outlook has been broadened considerably.

When threads do pop up for 'who's best....', the nearest we get to a broad conscenus is picking somebody from the usual list of the older 'big names'. Now, could a 'newer' artists ever eclipes these giants?
OK, minor waffling over. Now where's the art! 

Oh, for goodness sake.............

Look, I'm not glued in the past, I feel that a number of the present day artists have helped revive the Prog and made a substantial difference to its current vibrancy, BUT.... given a free pick would you choose a cover by one of the modern artists over a cover by O'Neill, McMahon, Ezquerra, Ewins, Talbot, Cam Kennedy???  If you answered yes,  loop back to the comment above  :)

Simon Beigh

Quote from: malak brood on 03 September, 2013, 10:47:28 PM
QuoteUntil the last couple of years or so, i was solidly in the 'vintage' camp. Id kept up to date with various trades through the years, and could admire (greatly) the new talent on art duties, but still i was fairly in the past. Now back buying the prog for the last year and a bit, i find my outlook has been broadened considerably.

OK, minor waffling over. Now where's the art! 

Oh, for goodness sake.............

Look, I'm not glued in the past, I feel that a number of the present day artists have helped revive the Prog and made a substantial difference to its current vibrancy, BUT.... given a free pick would you choose a cover by one of the modern artists over a cover by O'Neill, McMahon, Ezquerra, Ewins, Talbot, Cam Kennedy???  If you answered yes,  loop back to the comment above  :)

I've been looping through this post for 20 minutes now and I'm feeling a bit sick... Can I stop yet, because my answer isn't changing... I'd prefer Greg Staples' cover to Prog 1750 than any of these. Doh! Back to the "oh for goodness sake" again...

ming

No-one's right, no-one's wrong - see my earlier post about this being an entirely subjective matter.  However, M. brood clearly is glued in the past, and in denial to boot :lol:

Cam Kennedy, O'Neill, etc. - all incredible artists but if you don't place Flint, D'Israeli, Coleby, Staples at al. up there with the best of them then ask yourself why not?  If the basic, honest answer comes down to 'because I prefer the Art Gods of my youth' then I won't be surprised.

Anyway, pointless discussion as it will go around in circles forever and become some kind of Time Twister.

Less chat, more art!

:)

malak brood

QuoteI've been looping through this post for 20 minutes now and I'm feeling a bit sick... Can I stop yet, because my answer isn't changing... I'd prefer Greg Staples' cover to Prog 1750 than any of these. Doh! Back to the "oh for goodness sake" again...

ALERT.......ALERT..........ALERT.........THRILLSUCKER INFESTATION.......ALERT........ALERT...........

Simon Beigh

To follow up on Mark's post, here is the other prelim that Karl sent over and it's for Prog 1695. To answer Iain's question, Karl has historically been digital for covers, pens for interiors - although his recent Prog 1845 cover was pens. More on that another time ;)

For now, I hope you enjoy this cover:

Sideshow Bob

That's really nice, SimeonB....
and an awesome rendition of the Lawmaster...
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Call-Me-Kenneth

In recognition of the great new Biz Slaine story in this week's prog, I thought I might as well put up a couple of Horned God pages from my collection that I haven't shown on this site yet.
Featuring the ladies Danu and Medb who are sadly absent (though mentioned) from the new episode.

Enjoy..

Prog 629 episode 4 page 6 (the first page of Slaine I ever saw, back in Science class in 1989, aged 12!)

Prog 696 episode 9 page 3

Sideshow Bob

A couple of 'cracking' pieces there Kenneth...
It must be awesome to own a Bisley piece.....Many collectors' grail pieces I suppose...
Thanks for posting...
Cheers...

Really liking the 'new' Bisley stuff by the way.....Although ( expects a kicking here ) not as much as I liked his Horned God stuff...  Yes, it's awesome and it's obvious he has 'moved on',  but it's a bit 'too extreme' for me.......I actually preferred his previous 'more sedate' stuff....
Sorry...... :'(

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Call-Me-Kenneth

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 04 September, 2013, 01:23:42 PM
A couple of 'cracking' pieces there Kenneth...
It must be awesome to own a Bisley piece.....Many collectors' grail pieces I suppose...
Thanks for posting...
Cheers...

Really liking the 'new' Bisley stuff by the way.....Although ( expects a kicking here ) not as much as I liked his Horned God stuff...  Yes, it's awesome and it's obvious he has 'moved on',  but it's a bit 'too extreme' for me.......I actually preferred his previous 'more sedate' stuff....
Sorry...... :'(

Cheers
Cheers Simeone,

Glad you like them! Three pages from the series adorn my living room wall and my twin has one in his house, whenever I visit it's almost the first thing I check!

I also agree with what you said; as good and fun as the new episode is, it's not quite as lovable (or lovingly created) as the Horned God....though it is on at least on a par with the last two episodes of that epic!!

Frank

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 04 September, 2013, 01:23:42 PM
I actually preferred his previous 'more sedate' stuff....

AYE! Nothing says subtle like that last panel (above) of ancient Celt Medb looking like she's been shot in the face with Homer Simpson's make-up gun, while an engorged purple glans tears through her blood drenched vagina/mouth. God help us all if Bisley ever decides to stop pussy footing around and just draw exactly what's on his mind.