Main Menu

The 30 comics you should be reading

Started by Colin Zeal, 26 November, 2010, 10:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

according to Empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/30-comic-books-you-should-have-read

I'm surprised at how few of them I've actually read. Some interesting ones that I think I'll have a gander at.

Colin YNWA

Fairly run of the mill stuff for this type of thing with just a couple of curveballs thrown in. Still always good to see Asterix in this type of thing.

Greg M.

A quick check reveals I have read a pitiful 11 (12 if you count the fact I read several of someone else's issues of Preacher and hated it with a passion.) My score is particularly lowered by my minimal Frank Miller knowledge (Daredevil and Wolverine, neither of which are in the list, being my sole areas of Miller-lore.) But my question is... where's Grant Morrison? Surely a pretty serious ommission. I'd have thought We3 would have made it.

Richmond Clements

That's a bit of a rubbish list.

No All Star Superman?
Or From Hell?

And WTF is Scott Pilgrim doing on it? Apart from it being flavour of the month in the Empire offices, of course...

Kev Levell

It's interesting from a 'what someone else thinks' point of view, but these top 10s 20s or whatever are always so subjective and do tend towards being 'of the moment'. Within a short space of time there will be dissent from the masses with cries of "where is X?", "how can you omit so-and-so?".
I think they're designed to cause debate and ultimately to draw traffic to the website... because frankly, some of the choices were wrong, wrong, wrong ;)
Although it did remind me of a couple I've been meaning to get my grubby mits on!

*edit* Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Nah, I agree with him.

James Stacey

Pyroxian

20 (although Preacher and Sandman I've only read a few issues of and didn't get on with) - and I've just seen a few more that look interesting...

Steve

JamesC

I've read 19 of those.
Most of the rest I have no interest in to be honest.

I started reading scalped and thought it was utter shit despite being a big western fan.

I have no interest in reading Palestine or Persepolis. I'm sure they're very good but I just can't get interested.

Tiplodocus

Some wag pointed out that these lists always end with a top 3 of

3) Whatever I saw last week
2) The Simpsons
1) The Empire Strikes Back
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

22 out of 30.  Some real flavor of the month stuff there, and some head scratchers: I like Scalped but it's no classic, Rising Stars is incredibly derivative and dour, Invincible is a comic that only appeals to people who already read superhero comics, Preacher is derivative, uneven, and comes off as desperate too often, Scott Pilgrim is already a bit dated, and Y the Last Man is love or hate stuff that lacks the depth and universal appeal it's aiming for.

Why Superman: Red Son is in there rather than For The Man Who Has Everything, "Whatever happened to the man of Tomorrow?" or All Star Superman #6 is beyond me.  It was alright, but Millar wrote better Superman stories when he was doing the Superman Adventures book.

Tiplodocus

Oh and a feeble 13 (fifteen if you count Asterix and Tin Tin read as a nipper and long forgotten).

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

I've read quite a few but I gave up checking them after about 15 because of the annoying way of posting one per page - I got sick of clicking next and waiting! Seemed a fauirly predictable list up to there, with the exception of Scott Pilgrim. The only one in the first half I'd never even heard of was Rising Stars - is it any good?

Albion

I've read 15 of those. I'm surprised as I thought it would have been less. I'd have added The Boys and Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing to the list as well as loads of 2000AD stuff of course.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Dark Jimbo

10 for me, with litle interest in reading many more.

Actually not too bad a list I thought, although how the fuck Scott Pilgrim or Rising Stars makes it in when there's no From Hell, Luther Arkwright or anything by Grant Morrison baffles me.
@jamesfeistdraws

Emperor

I've read 20 of those on the list and have a few others on my longer "must read" list. Its all either a bit subjective and has the feel of what you are expected to put on such lists - I could have got it 90% right just going for popular, "worthy", critically-praised comics.

As Jimbo says - no Grant Morrison???
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+