Main Menu

K-9 in new Who

Started by petemaskreplica, 24 August, 2005, 05:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemaskreplica

petemaskreplica

of course, you can't see that link if you're outside the beeb. Duh! Here's the text:

Science fiction?s most popular robotic dog is making a comeback in the next series of Doctor Who.

K9, who travelled with Tom Baker's Doctor between 1977 and 1981, will be joined by the another of the Doctor?s iconic companions, Sarah Jane Smith.

The pair will join forces with David Tennant?s tenth Time Lord and his current companion Rose in a fight against the evil Krillitanes.

News of K9's return should please older fans of the show. In 1980 a public outcry occurred when it was announced that K9 would be leaving Doctor Who and the dog was given the first bona fide tv spin-off from the series - 'K9 and Company: A Girl's Best Friend? - which attracted 8.4m viewers.

?I hope the new generation of viewers will fall in love with him in the same way,? producer Phil Collinson said. ?I'm sure he's going to prove an invaluable help to the Doctor in the fight against intergalactic evil.?

John Leeson, who was the voice of K9, and Elisabeth Sladen, who played Sarah Jane, will reprise their characters. ?A little gathered rust is no object to a fully functional K9,? Leeson said.

Sladen said that the script was 'an absolutely truthful progression of Sarah', adding, ?I just hope I can still run as fast after 30 years? .

The episode, which will be seen next spring in the second series, sees the team investigate sinister events at a modern-day comprehensive school, and also stars Anthony Head, aka Giles of Buffy The Vampire Slayer fame.

Quirkafleeg

Dear god, no... I hope this isnt the beggining of the end

>sinister events at a modern-day comprehensive school

I hope it includes Servalan as a sinister lesbian

Funt Solo

Hurrah - it's Giles from Bufty The Vampire-Poker!

I still remember him from that Nescafe ad:  "Hi, would you like to [pointing at obvious erection] come in for 'coffee'".

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, a nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Artificial Idiot

I thought they couldn't use K9 as there was ownership issues...

The Amstor Computer

Blimey - I didn't expect this...

Well, if it's handled as well as the first series, then perhaps K9 will be OK - provided the Beeb don't do much in the way of remodelling.

VampiraJen

Dan Kelly

Trout

Tweak72

Does that mean the eventual return of the spin-off 'K-9 & Co.'?

Link: http://www.tv.com/k9-and-company/show/1989/summary.html&full_summary=1" target="_blank">TV tome

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Artificial Idiot

I'd still have prefered to see him used as a coffee table in the TARDIS, as originally intended...

Richmond Clements

There were a few plan drawings of an updated K-9 in DWM a few years ago, and he looked pretty good then, though this was well before this series was on the go, perhaps even before the TV movie.
I think I subtle redesign, like they did with the Dalek, is required, to lift him from being the rickety wooden box he clearly was in the old days.

Art

They'll put Metal Mickey in it next.

Trout

Art: that might make me watch it again!

Dan Kelly

Seeing as people ain't going to the link, is this subtle enough for you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/k9/800/k9_01.jpg">