Main Menu

Watchmen Clips

Started by wrly_bird, 18 February, 2009, 04:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

TordelBack

Try as I might, I can't warm to the acting in those clips, and as expected the gratuitous use of slo-mo angries up the blood, but I won't be drawing any conclusions just yet.  I wonder if Adrian could have worn a big black hat to make his role any clearer?

TordelBack

Double post clear indication of obsessive behavious, but does it look to anyone like Matthew Goode is doing a fair Christopher Walken impression there?

Adrian Bamforth

Quote from: "TordelBack"does it look to anyone like Matthew Goode is doing a fair Christopher Walken impression there?

He still doesn't look out of his 20s to me, I think his charcter will be a bit more brattish than 'The World's smartest man', possibly the acting or possibly intended to make him more of a [spoiler]villain[/spoiler] and not confuse cinema audiences.

JOE SOAP

Veidt was always the weak link in the casting for this flick -Jude Law being the better option- but I think the exchange between Dan and Rorschach is on the money.

Kev Levell

Quote from: "garageman"Veidt was always the weak link in the casting

Yeah, I agree - in some preliminary sketches Robert Redford was annotated as an "influence" for Veidt - I think you can see that in Dave Gibbons' art too. I think the actor they chose is quite a strategic choice [spoiler]- anyone too high profile would give the game away. His anonymity as the eventual culprit is pretty important[/spoiler] and despite my reservations - I think he'll do well.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "johnnystress"review

//http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/02/that_whooshing.php

ouch

Somewhat undermined by the reviewer's apparently total lack of understanding of the term "surreal", IMO.

However, as I recently mused with a friend via e-mail: I have a feeling that this film is actually not going to work for anyone who hasn't read the book, which might -- ironically -- mean that the first successful Alan Moore adaptation might also be a commercial disaster. I think Moore might actually enjoy the irony ...!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

I'm staying away from reviews so I can view it sans journalistic opinion then I can be clear myself if it's a turkey or not.

Tiplodocus

Well, I just caught the Trailer again on the big screen (at VALKYRIE) and was still impressed and still, despite all my best judgement, have my hopes up.

And having reread it again (recoloured) on the train back from HI-EX, I think the Space Squid would still work.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Just watched this rather stilted and awkward interview in which Snyder seems to suggest that [spoiler]Veidt will be killed by either Dan, Rorschach or Manhattan[/spoiler] at the end of the movie - though I may have misinterpreted.

Spiolers, obviously: //http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0LfvSJchk&NR=1

JOE SOAP

No it ends the same in the book as far as who lives and who dies. The studio wanted Veidt to die but Snyder refused.

Leigh S

If they are the best clips (you'd think theyd be the ones youd release), then im probably going to avoid - just seems very flat.  Its been a longstanding point of view that Watchmen was unfilmable because it used narrative devices you could only get away with in comics... but maybe this wil prove its also unfilmable becasue the moment you actually get actors saying this stuff on real live sets, the power of the myths its playing with that are so tied up to that ink and smelly paper just desert you and you are left with silly voiced, silly costumed goons wandering around pretending this stuff is serious.

johnnystress

I see Richard Hawley is a fan

"love that book,one of darkest but beautifully true statements about humanity i have ever read,Mr Moore does indeed know the score

good man

Hoagy

I've been wondering if Watchmen is the only finite, episodic, comic book, transition to film to get this sort of attention.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract