Main Menu

Firefly (and Serenity)...

Started by locustsofdeath!, 20 January, 2012, 08:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

I know I'm reeeaaally late to the show, but despite years of friends telling me I'd love it I'd never felt bothered to watch the short-lived Firefly television series. Well...after signing up for netflix, I decided to give it a go...

Wow! What a fantastic show! The characters were great, I really got to caring about them after only a few episodes. The writing is fantastic - great stories, wonderful dialogue, emotional story lines, actual funny humor throughout. Just a great, great show.

I actually felt gutted when it ended. I can only imagine how that must have felt to Joss Whedon and the show's writers and actors, to have the show cancelled so prematurely.

Serenity was a good film, answered a lot of the show's lingering questions, but I would have liked to have seen the develop naturally over the course of a long series.

Shame on you, FOX.

The Legendary Shark

Best opening scene ever?

"Yeah... That went well."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

locustsofdeath!

:lol: :lol:!

And that was my favorite episode! (but not for the nakey captain Mal, promise)

The Legendary Shark

And who could blame you if it was for that? He's a fine lookin' fella, after all...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Just started watching this myself after meaning to for years. It is really good, and deserves the praise. It's a bit cheesy (mainly the music and vfx) but it's very charming - really great characters. For me, most TV sci-fi like Star Trek, Stargate etc never appealed to me - perhaps because they were a bit too ambitious for their budgets - I like the earthiness of Firefly, like the fact that there's (so far) no aliens or technobabble, and the overall space-western vibe. I'm only on ep 3 at the moment.

I've seen Serenity, back when it first came out on DVD. Enjoyed it, but keen to watch it again when I've finished the series - I'm sure it will make a lot more sense this time round. I actually won a copy of it a few years ago in a pub movie quiz.

Goaty

You will like what Nathan Fillion's Hallowe'en fancy dress "Space Cowboy" in Castle ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3pdj9p6yI

Proper Dave

Quote from: radiator on 20 January, 2012, 08:46:34 PMIt's a bit cheesy (mainly the music and vfx) ...

The vfx weren't cheesy cos they weren't any. They just bolted a crappy DV-cam to the tail of a starship and used what footage they got.

(I joke, of course - but you wouldn't believe how many people looked at it, saw that it looked something like a camera bolted to the hood of a truck, and simply didn't get the technical sophistication it took to get that shaky, off-kilter, vérité effect.)
Take care. Have fun. Bring your own banjo.
http://www.pseudopod.empty-spaces.net

ICONIC_TM

Trivia,

In The Pilot of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica,
The scene on Caprica when Roslin go to see a
doctor, You can see the Serenity do a fly by
through the glass roof of that building.

In the first season of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica
opening titles, you can see the USS Enterprise up the back
of the rag tag fleet

In Serenity the movie, The scenes when they pass
through the Reaver`s space junk yard, You can
see some Battered up rag tag fleet ships in the
back ground.

ICONIC_TM

von Boom

Mal becomes the most sensible hero of all time by kicking Crow into Serenity's engine intake. Why leave a murdering scumbag out there to harass you? Brilliant.

JvB

ICONIC_TM

"EMP!  Everybody strap yourself`s into some thing!"

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Judge von Boom on 21 January, 2012, 08:27:02 PM
Mal becomes the most sensible hero of all time by kicking Crow into Serenity's engine intake. Why leave a murdering scumbag out there to harass you? Brilliant.

That was probably the moment I decided that Firefly was one of my favorite shows ever.

Goaty

JvB

Yep here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRlHwwVIug

HdE

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 21 January, 2012, 09:47:46 PM

That was probably the moment I decided that Firefly was one of my favorite shows ever.

It's the look of weary exasperation that plays over his face before he does the deed - brilliant!

Firefly is one of my favouritest TV shows evah! Y'all could do worse than to check out the fine comic books published by Dark Horse. They tie in really tight with the show.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

von Boom

Yes the comics are great too. When the first ones appeared I made it my mission to have all the covers of the first run. It was tough, but worth it. Now I have them all nicely bagged and boarded and put away in a safe place.

JvB