Main Menu

Slaine: The Horned God 35th Anniversary edition - Oversized & with new scans

Started by Woolly, 18 August, 2023, 05:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Count me in for this one!
I'd heard rumours about this, turns out the original negatives in the Thrill Containment Units were of a better quality than previously thought (or so I've heard).

Cant wait to see the print quality.

https://2000ad.com/news/oversized-with-new-scans-slaine-the-horned-god-anniversary-edition-is-coming-in-2024/

Magnetica

I've already got the Horned God three times: the original Progs, the three Titan volumes from back in the day, and the Ultimate Collection. Not sure I can justify getting it again. It would be a bit disappointing if the previous collections have reproduction that's not as good as it could have been.

I'm already considering getting the m new Definitive Nemesis books, but need to draw the line somewhere on how many versions of stories I get.

karlos

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 August, 2023, 08:25:17 AMIt would be a bit disappointing if the previous collections have reproduction that's not as good as it could have been.

There's a non-trivial cost to rescanning (and supplying new files to the press, who'll charge a whole round of set-up fees again) — if you're going to go to the trouble (and expense) I can see why you'd a) want to show the new scans off in the most flattering format possible, and b) look to recoup that outlay from a new edition.

Which isn't say that I can't also see the dilemma it presents for Squaxx who've already bought the damn thing multiple times. :)

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

karlos

Anyone know how the Fleetway 1990 books sold, back then?

I seem to remember talk that sales were huge,and it was selling near DKR/Watchman numbers.

We certainly sold a few in the comic shop I worked at,

Max Headroom

The measurements for this tome are 355mm by 270mm. Is this the exact same as for the Apex Edition books?

Magnetica

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 August, 2023, 11:12:42 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 19 August, 2023, 08:25:17 AMIt would be a bit disappointing if the previous collections have reproduction that's not as good as it could have been.

There's a non-trivial cost to rescanning (and supplying new files to the press, who'll charge a whole round of set-up fees again) — if you're going to go to the trouble (and expense) I can see why you'd a) want to show the new scans off in the most flattering format possible, and b) look to recoup that outlay from a new edition.

Which isn't say that I can't also see the dilemma it presents for Squaxx who've already bought the damn thing multiple times. :)

Jim, any insight on how the reproduction will compare to the previous versions?

And when I said "Titan" editions, I might well have meant "Fleetway". I'm not at home so I can't check.

All I know is they were an improvement over the somewhat murky Progs. If I recall correctly the first two volumes had a matt finish and the third one a gloss finish. I have never understood why they did that.

So yes a dilemma indeed- do I go for the "definitive version"?

I'm pretty much a sucker for the Apex art books... but space is limited...and I don't want to keep buying the same thing.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Max Headroom on 19 August, 2023, 12:24:37 PMThe measurements for this tome are 355mm by 270mm. Is this the exact same as for the Apex Edition books?
Good grief no! Those Apex Editions are enormous. apr. 48cm x 37cm. Notice the dimensions given in the webshop are actually for the box that the book comes in!

Le Fink

I've got the Fleetway paperbacks, dated 1989, which measure 297x225, they all look matt paper inside. The repo looks pretty good - some pages pop more than others.

The pages are falling off the spines so I have an excuse to get another edition.

Art still looks absolutely incredible. How on earth did he do it?

Jim_Campbell

JayzusB.Christ

I bought the first ever softcover trilogy back when they came out first - they quickly fell apart though; partly because of my repeat readings of them and partly because of the shite binding.

Then I bought that really cheap promotional hardback one a few years ago - it burned, of course, along with everything else I owned on the boat I used to live on.

This looks lovely though.  I'm not much of a collector, preferring just to read stuff rather than let stuff accumulate in my very small cabin, but The Horned God is something of a treasured memory, so I might just splash out on those lovely three hardbacks.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

davidbishop

IIRC there is at least a page or two (or more) that Simon Bisley painted S/S - same size as the published comic - to save time. Think they're in Book 3 when he was up against it on deadline. The page(s) feature Ukko pausing in between writing his account, and are evident because the lettering suddenly gets bigger. Nobody told the poor letterer (Steve Potter?) to shrink his balloons or the next within them...

Wonder how they'll deal with that in the mighty tome?

Woolly

Quote from: davidbishop on 22 August, 2023, 04:44:31 PMIIRC there is at least a page or two (or more) that Simon Bisley painted S/S - same size as the published comic - to save time. Think they're in Book 3 when he was up against it on deadline. The page(s) feature Ukko pausing in between writing his account, and are evident because the lettering suddenly gets bigger. Nobody told the poor letterer (Steve Potter?) to shrink his balloons or the next within them...

Wonder how they'll deal with that in the mighty tome?

I know the exact page, and always wondered why that happened with the letter size!
I'm guessing the mighty tome will just go with it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Woolly on 22 August, 2023, 05:36:39 PMI'm guessing the mighty tome will just go with it.

If the repro droids have access to the original art, a sufficiently high-resolution scan might scale to the larger page size and it might be possible to separate the lettering elements of the original scans and drop 'em onto the new artwork scan, at which point the originally over-size lettering might look more 'normal'. That's a lot of 'might's, though...!

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.