Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 May, 2017, 09:12:12 AM
Already sang my paean of love for GotG2 on the dedicated thread, but feel the need to discuss the fallout here too.  To-wit, my 7-year old daughter now emerges from the bathroom on a semi-regular schedule announcing "I have famously huge turds".  She does a bit of acting and seems to be able to pick up lines verbatim after one hearing, so when challenged on her crudeness she does the whole Rocket/Peter/Drax exchange from that scene, before collapsing in hysterical laughter.

On reflection I grow increasingly impressed by how the film mixes that kind of Farrelly Brothers humour with genuine pathos and a half-decent exploration of morality, and how its many-threaded plot spools out naturally from what we know about the mysteries and motivations of the characters from Vol 1. There are some lovely mirroring moments that make the two volumes seem like parts of the same story, e.g. Quill exposes himself to vacuum to save Gamorra in Vol 1, [spoiler]Yondu does the exact same to save Quill in Vol 2[/spoiler].  And I challenge anyone to come up with better dying words than "[spoiler]He may have been your father boy, but he wasn't your Daddy"[/spoiler].  Very satisfying.

Thumbs up from this house, Marvel!

My 2 girls (7 & 8) come out with "[spoiler]I'm Mary Poppins y'all[/spoiler]" at least once a day - hits the spot each time.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

TordelBack

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 16 May, 2017, 01:44:31 PM
My 2 girls (7 & 8) come out with "[spoiler]I'm Mary Poppins y'all[/spoiler]" at least once a day - hits the spot each time.

Oh that one had us rolling around in the cinema, especially seeing as TordelGirl had appeared in a production of "the Cockney Play" only the previous weekend...

There was also a lengthy back-of-the-car discussion as to whether Ego [spoiler]would need to grow different-shaped penises to cope with the likely-different 'holes' of the various alien ladies... [/spoiler]I swear to goodness sometimes I wish I had taken a more repressive patriarchal tack with those children. 

Mattofthespurs

Just got back from watching GOTG 2 for the second time and I enjoyed much more this time round.

Going to see Alien: Covenant again tomorrow, hopefully with the same results.

Then, on Friday, I am going to see King Arthur. Just to see if it's as bad as the reviews are making out.

Smith

Stuckmann said its okay-ish.

SIP

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 May, 2017, 03:19:24 PM
Just got back from watching GOTG 2 for the second time and I enjoyed much more this time round.

Then, on Friday, I am going to see King Arthur. Just to see if it's as bad as the reviews are making out.

I experienced the same feelings on my second viewing of GOTG2, liked it a whole lot more.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: SIP on 16 May, 2017, 03:45:37 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 May, 2017, 03:19:24 PM

I experienced the same feelings on my second viewing of GOTG2, liked it a whole lot more.

Can't say why. Perhaps it's because I did not have to follow the storyline so closely and could just enjoy the characters and the script a bit more.
Or perhaps my expectations were not so high. I enjoyed it the first time round, and saw it in 3-D which was superb. Perhaps the 3-D detracted from the film, as good as it was.
Who knows?

SIP

I felt completely let down by it on the first viewing, I suspect that my extreme anticipation for the film could only lead to disappointment. I really loved the first film. Knew exactly what I was getting second time around and could just enjoy it for what it was. That sounds like I'm damning it with feint praise, but I don't mean it that way, I enjoyed it.

Tiplodocus

FIVE YEAR ENGAGEMENT

More like the 5 year shit.

Turns out that not only does Emily Blunt suck at this kind of comedy but she drags Rhys  Ifans into the pan with her.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

My girlfriend was watching Sausage Party and I caught the first twenty minutes or so.

Nope.

Seemed to be desperately trying to ape the tone of the type of thing Matt Stone and Trey Parker do, but it was just embarrassingly juvenile and unfunny.

Listened to podcast instead.

Smith

I think Jackie Brown is my new favorite heist film.
Usual Suspects.Great,but I saw the twist coming.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Smith on 17 May, 2017, 05:32:19 AM
I think Jackie Brown is my new favorite heist film.

I love Jackie Brown. My joint favourite Tarantino film.
Out of Sight is just behind it, but only just.

CrazyFoxMachine

A Mighty Wind

Another Guestumentary here and it essentially follows the formula laid out by Best in Show although chooses to eschew a lot of the wider detail and focus largely on O'Hara and Levy's Mitch & Mickey which it then smartly builds into a genuinely effective climax. The intricately-constructed songstering is remarkably well done (the DVD even features the whole uncut concert and early videos) and lends a tone of real craft to the endeavor. Less funny than Best in Show but with a lot more heart.

CrazyFoxMachine

Sitting around today, marvellously :)

Merrily skipping over the hype and diving into this nearly eight years after its release I was actually pleasantly surprised. The effects are mostly incredible, despite its bloated running time it rattles along at a steady pace and ... well Sigourney Weaver. She never phones it in. However what didn't come as a surprise was how insipid the whole thing was - Avatar is right. It emulates everything - that's just a horse, that's just a native tribe, that's just a 70's prog cover, and YES The Lorax WAS their favourite book in the school.... schheeeez. If you can stomach the old-fashioned undertones the message is tolerable enough but it's told with such broad strokes and with such mechanical functionality that it's ultimately quite hard to properly engage with.

What the shit are the sequels going to be about? "ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE BLUE CATPEOPLE" anyone?

Hawkmumbler

I think Kermode put it best, 8 years ago Avatar hit the scene, grissed a record breaking sum of money, wowed audinces world wide...then vanished and left no mark on pop culture at all.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: radiator on 16 May, 2017, 08:35:22 PM
My girlfriend was watching Sausage Party and I caught the first twenty minutes or so.

Nope.

Seemed to be desperately trying to ape the tone of the type of thing Matt Stone and Trey Parker do, but it was just embarrassingly juvenile and unfunny.

Listened to podcast instead.

I walked in on my wife watching Sausage Party the other day, and rolling around in fits. Like you say, I gave it five minutes before realising I'd probably rather eat my own shit than watch another second of it. Definitely the worst film I've seen in ages.
SBT