Main Menu

Cradlegrave

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 July, 2009, 09:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Just thought that after finishing the story I'd give Cradlegrave a review thread of its own here, instead of the Prog Review section. Mainly because it's an all-time 2000ad classic, up there with Halo Jones in my book anyway, and deserves it.

The characters - no superpowers, special guns, extra heads, or anything else gimmicky. Just normal, working-class lads, and fair play to John Smith for treating the 'chav' types as normal human beings that the reader can care about, rather than 2-dimensional stereotypes.

The setting - an all-too-realistic place that's probably familiar to most of us here. Though a middle-class blow-in, I used to rent a house in one of the dodgiest areas in Dublin and the characters in Cradlegrave are pretty close to the mark. (Although Cradlegrave seems not to have TOO much of a heroin problem, despite Skully's best efforts).

The supernatural aspect - slow burning and unsettling. I was slightly disappointed at first that there was a supernatural aspect to the story at all, but its unpleasant but muted malign influence fit the story perfectly, unlike, say, that story 13 a few years ago where a jobless young punk (of the type that hasn't been about since the 80's, and where did he get such a nice apartment of his own anyway?) gets suddenly mixed up in garish sci-fi. 

The ending - questions are unanswered, but in a good way.  Despite mary being the cause of the whole thing, we begin to feel for her as a character (and hers was, I think, one of the most emotional death scenes 2000ad has ever had - and it's not often I feel deep sympathy for a warped, disgusting monster that's slowly destroying normal people's lives).

All in all, looking forward to the film. You never know - it's definitely good movie material.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 July, 2009, 09:27:15 PM
Just thought that after finishing the story I'd give Cradlegrave a review thread of its own here, instead of the Prog Review section. Mainly because it's an all-time 2000ad classic, up there with Halo Jones in my book anyway, and deserves it.

The characters - no superpowers, special guns, extra heads, or anything else gimmicky. Just normal, working-class lads, and fair play to John Smith for treating the 'chav' types as normal human beings that the reader can care about, rather than 2-dimensional stereotypes.

The setting - an all-too-realistic place that's probably familiar to most of us here. Though a middle-class blow-in, I used to rent a house in one of the dodgiest areas in Dublin and the characters in Cradlegrave are pretty close to the mark. (Although Cradlegrave seems not to have TOO much of a heroin problem, despite Skully's best efforts. Mind you, an eyelid-gluing / torso-cooking problem isn't good either).

The supernatural aspect - slow burning and unsettling. I was slightly disappointed at first that there was a supernatural aspect to the story at all, but its unpleasant but muted malign influence fit the story perfectly, unlike, say, that story 13 a few years ago where a jobless young punk (of the type that hasn't been about since the 80's, and where did he get such a nice apartment of his own anyway?) gets suddenly mixed up in garish sci-fi. 

The ending - questions are unanswered, but in a good way.  Despite mary being the cause of the whole thing, we begin to feel for her as a character (and hers was, I think, one of the most emotional death scenes 2000ad has ever had - and it's not often I feel deep sympathy for a warped, disgusting monster that's slowly destroying normal people's lives).

All in all, looking forward to the film. You never know - it's definitely good movie material.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Van Dom

Hear hear, I was saying that a few weeks ago. Extremely cinematic movie, very little that would need to be changed- and pre-drawn storyboards!!!

It would make a very disturbing little indie flick...very surprised if there's no interest in doing this.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Colin YNWA

Hard not to agreew with that review. Just great comics and something a little different for 2000ad which is always a good things. Wonderfully disturbing stuff.

locustsofdeath!

Yes, very nice review. I am looking forward to sitting down and reading the strip all at once - then I feel I can really take it in and decide my feelings on it. As it is, I felt it had an incredibly strong opening, with some very well-drawn characters. The art was perfect - the atmosphere was simply doom-laden - there was a sense of impending disaster from the start. I felt somewhat of a lag round part three or four, and then it caught me again with the final swing towards the end. Still unsure of what I think of the end, but hopefully my rereading will solidify my thoughts.

BTW, I wonder how long til this is collected in a GN.

Marbles

You could see it being made into a Doctor Who episode.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Peter Wolf

Tomorrow is the big day for me and i havent read the spoilers here but unfortunately i missed last weeks penultimate episode.No idea if the digital comic is still available.

The characters in this strip didnt seem like they were "Chavs" to me at all but are just Lads as it were.Its slightly derogatory to label them as "Chavs" just because they are working class.

Thanks to JohnS for writing a great story and i am genuinely excited about reading the conclusion of and Edmund Bagwell was the perfect choice of artist.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dog Deever

Fantastic story- best all year and I would suggest one of the all time 2000ad classics.
Total agreement from me about a film- a British film would be good. It wouldn't need to be big budget either- as the only real 'FX' would be Mary herself. Filmed on location.

I think it's a brilliant achievement from John and Edmund to create such an overwhelming success with a 'contemporary horror' in what is generally accepted as a 'sci-fi' comic.

It's been great to see solid artwork grow in confidence but the plaudits mainly have to go to John for some twisted ideas brilliantly paced and scripted. The super-glued eyes foreshadowing was particularly excellent.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Trout

Yep, I'd love a collected edition of this, too.

I want to re-read it over and over, and a book on the shelf is easier to dig out than a pile of a dozen comics.

- Trout

Mike Carroll

I wasn't tremendously impressed with the first episode so I didn't bother reading it after that and decided it'd be best to wait until it was finished and then read the whole story in one go.

Which is what I did two days ago. Now, there are a few comic scenes that'll stay with me forever: the ending of Strontium Dog: Rage, the death of Gwen Stacy, "I did it thirty-five minutes ago", the opening three pages of The Punisher: Welcome Back Frank, Miracleman's final solution to the Johnny Bates problem... And now the first shot of Mary in Cradlegrave.

I haven't read anything so unsettling in a very long time! I have to agree with Dog Deever about it being one of the all-time 2000AD classics - I really want to see more of this sort of thing!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 July, 2009, 09:27:15 PM
...its unpleasant but muted malign influence fit the story perfectly, unlike, say, that story 13 a few years ago where a jobless young punk (of the type that hasn't been about since the 80's, and where did he get such a nice apartment of his own anyway?) gets suddenly mixed up in garish sci-fi. 

Now just hold on a minute! Without wanting to derail the thread I have to take issue with that. 13 was brilliant, bonkers fun, and its a crying shame we never got more of it.

'Your thoughts are most strange... is the phrase 'tits like God's own ear muffs' some form of prayer?'
@jamesfeistdraws

ThryllSeekyr

Of Cradlegrave I've only partially read and fully seen four episodes. Of course, they are the ones that co-inside with the most recent Slaine stories.

From what I have read, I got the feling was reading EastEnders, with a touch of Torchwood. As yous might have guessed. I have no idea wether thats set in Dublin, Cardiff or the East End of London. It's all the same to me.

I might like to read the whole thing some other time. I love the art. It really gives off the impression I get from watching shows like "Coronation Street", "Bless this House", "Some Mothers Do Have Them", "George and Mildred" without the situation comedy.

The name of artist made me chuckel t myself. Edmund Bagwell. It does souns more like non de plume. My oppologies if I wrong about that., It's just that Edmund happens to be also be the anme of patron saint of a school I used to go to.  The name Bagwell almost sounds like mine, except for the bag part.

QuotePosted by: JayzusB.Christ Posted on: July 16, 2009, 09:27:15 PM

QuotePosted on: Today at 12:37:14 AM Posted by: Dog Deever

Fantastic story- best all year and I would suggest one of the all time 2000ad classics.
Total agreement from me about a film- a British film would be good. It wouldn't need to be big budget either- as the only real 'FX' would be Mary herself. Filmed on location.

I have seen people with the skin conditon. So, that speical effect wouldn't even be needed, except that person in question might take it in bad taste.

Dan Kelly

Just read through in one as no Saturday prog and absolutely marvelous

The events of the last episode when the estate is losing it, somehow connected to Mary are chilling, and many of them I missed first time around ([spoiler]Donna, Keira's eyes[/spoiler]

Mary's illness seems to be timed to the start of the Bin Strike as well

If you haven't read it through as one I urge you to do so!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Not being a fan of the majority of John Smiths work with the exception Firekind and some Devlin Waugh, I was not overly excited at what I assumed would be a overlong story that would do nothing for me, but my mouth was full of wrong. This was the best, most original thing that has been in 2000ad for many years, I wasted it too keep going and never stop. The end was more satisfying then a bunch of explanations. How the end bookended itself with the start was beautiful. The art was also stunning.
Well done to John and Edmund.

Mike Gloady

With the exception of the *character* of Devlin Waugh (I found many of the stories he actually appeared in to be a little dull) I've not actually enjoyed a single thing John Smith wrote for 2000ad until now.  His name used to elicit a "nevermind, eh?  Always ONE rubbish story per prog" and a few leafed pages.

Cradlegrave has changed my mind.  Not sure about the whole "instant classic" thing that many other readers are tagging it with but think about it, it must be PRETTY good if I read and enjoyed it.  And re-read it.  And am looking forward to maybe giving it another go through from the beginning in a few weeks. 

I've said it before elsewhere but I'm now much more happy to give Mr Smith's writing a go in future thanks almost entirely to this. 

Enjoyed it.  Easily the most surprising thing in the prog in quite some time.  The supernatural aspects DID feel like a shame to me, as it was capable of standing without them.  But they were done so well, and the art was so beautifully complimentary to the script.  I'm sold. 

Can we have acollection soon please, Tharg?  I've got friends to recommend this to.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever