Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 22 January, 2014, 04:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: BPP on 24 January, 2014, 12:11:55 AM
Quote from: Bat King on 23 January, 2014, 08:05:21 PM
Quote from: BPP on 23 January, 2014, 03:39:56 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 22 January, 2014, 11:54:03 PM
My review is up on my Blog - HERE

How about you participate here instead of continually referring us to you blog?

Up to you if you click the link or not.

I don't. Once upon a time I would have read what you said here and then gone to your blog if it seemed there was something additional, now all your posts here are just 'review up on your blog.'  You've absented yourself as a forumer and that vacates my interest.
Don't like it, don't click the fucking link. It really is that simple.

I really enjoyed the first issue of MC2. The only axe I have to grind is with the aforementioned marshmallow faced Dredd and the collateral damage being almost on par with a whole minute of Man of Steel. Other than that, top stuff and looks like another mini-series that is going to be far better than the main comic.

Colin YNWA

Really enjoyed that. Thought the 'soft' detailed, almost Scott McCloud (in the depiction of folk) meets Darrow (in the depiction of backgrounds) really worked in the context of seeing Dredd in a different Hollywood world. Loved it. The story was fine and set up what is a nice world and enjoyable scenario.

The only beef I have is the very American pacing. Of course in on way shape or form a surprise given, well you know its an American comic but it made it feel so slight and flabby. Got to the end and thought, oh is that all. Typical of an American comic, which I read a LOT of and so should have no problem with, just with Dredd and what you get in the Prog this felt a bit weird to me. More so that in other IDW Dredd's possibly cos I found nowt else wrong with it.

I'm in for the duration.

Bat King

That's a great point Colin. This issue would have been one or two 2000AD episodes with a snappier pace.

Again, not a big criticism as you say.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 January, 2014, 07:24:13 PMOf course in on way shape or form a surprise given, well you know its an American comic but it made it feel so slight and flabby. Got to the end and thought, oh is that all.

I felt that way on the first way through, but on successive reads the richness of the backdrops really came home, and I found the art and the setting it establishes offset any feeling of brevity or transatlantic bloat.

Incidentally, since I seem to have posted it the preview rather than review thread, here's a regurgitation of my thoughts on Issue 1:

QuoteGot this today.  I thought it was superb.  I was well-disposed to the title in advance, being a fan of Wolk's online writings and liking the look of Farinas' art, but it greatly exceeded my expectations.

The central concept - a Justice Department whose Judges [spoiler]have to dispense instant street justice in the usual fashion but do so within 1,000 distinct local 'Courts', subdivisions of MC-2 whose individual laws are decided by their local communities[/spoiler] - is nothing short of inspired, and its delivery is rich and confident.

Farinas' ligne-claire-meets-Geoff-Darrow style sometimes seems to struggle with large close-ups (something Herge wisely avoided) but this minor niggle vanished as I immersed myself in the wonderful design and witty detail, and by the time I emerged I had embraced it  completely.  Successive re-readings are rewarded in almost every panel, and I bought the whole city completely as part of Dredd's world.  As to the main man himself, there are maybe two lines that don't quite sound like 'our' Dredd, but everything else is perfect.

It's interesting that Douglas leaves Song of the Surfer out of his review of previous visits to MC-2, since it is one that would sit comfortably with this version.  If I had two regrets about buying this book, they would be that it this story isn't appearing in the Prog or Meg, and that Judgement Day ever happened.

This is the best US Dredd I have ever read, but more than that, it's actually good Dredd.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 January, 2014, 09:13:30 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 January, 2014, 07:24:13 PMOf course in on way shape or form a surprise given, well you know its an American comic but it made it feel so slight and flabby. Got to the end and thought, oh is that all.

I felt that way on the first way through, but on successive reads the richness of the backdrops really came home, and I found the art and the setting it establishes offset any feeling of brevity or transatlantic bloat

It reminded me of reading American Flagg where some of the world-detail is so laterally dense that it needed the extra length. It would certainly be lesser without it and I wouldn't call it flabby as it's such a different reading experience to the prog. I think the most positive aspect about it is that I wanted to re-read it.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 January, 2014, 10:04:57 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 26 January, 2014, 09:13:30 PM

I felt that way on the first way through, but on successive reads the richness of the backdrops really came home, and I found the art and the setting it establishes offset any feeling of brevity or transatlantic bloat

It reminded me of reading American Flagg where some of the world-detail is so laterally dense that it needed the extra length. It would certainly be lesser without it and I wouldn't call it flabby as it's such a different reading experience to the prog. I think the most positive impression is that I wanted to re-read it.

Judge Olde

My 2pence worth, it would have been interesting for you to have put something a little more on this site, & then reference your blog. But as you also say, if people aren't interested, then just ignore. I will however click on your link now anyway  :-\

radiator

I feel like I need to read it again, as I didn't really 'get' it first time round. I found myself getting a little lost especially with the action scenes, as someone else said.

It's certainly interesting and I love the art - it just didn't quite click with me yet. I'll give it another go, though.

Proudhuff

a second read made this grate even more.
Don't really think the writer 'gets' Dredd. For me reading this (again) was akin to watching Stallone mangle that movie.
I've worked out that a trip to Titan has compressed Dredd to the strange squat shape he is here, but yet to work out why his head has been replaced with a potato and his mouth is full of dainty little child's teeth?
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Really enjoyed it and thought the art was great. It's not what we are used to seeing in Dredd in the Prog of recent years but it was well executed and gave the strip a good energy and sense of fun. Not sure Douglas has totally nailed Dredd quite yet but he's already made a better fist of it than the lamentable main strip and I'm sure he will find his feet. Good fun and I'm looking forward to the next ep.

Bat King

Quote from: Judge Olde on 27 January, 2014, 04:30:55 PM

My 2pence worth, it would have been interesting for you to have put something a little more on this site, & then reference your blog. But as you also say, if people aren't interested, then just ignore. I will however click on your link now anyway  :-\

Thanks for your words on this Judge Olde. I will take that on board.

It was the randomness of someone not adding to the conversation complaining that I wasn't contributing that I found 'odd'. Especially as I contribute quite often...

Most links to my blog are actually in their own threads - I put more in the last one I posted.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

sheldipez

Quote from: BPP on 31 January, 2014, 12:31:56 PM
My reply to this post is over on my blog.

I've replied on your blog with a link to my blog on which you'll find a reply to this post.

COMMANDO FORCES

Bolt-01