Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City Two #1 'West Coast Swing'

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 22 January, 2014, 04:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Several more re-reads later and I'm enjoying this even more: if Wolk and Farinas can keep to this standard throughout this is set to be a favourite.   It's also a handsomely produced little thing, in contrast to some of the other IDW Dredd I've dipped into.  Really hope it's finding the audience it deserves.

It's interesting to see that IDW have adopted a diverse spread of takes on Dredd, rather than just pushing ahead with the core title: the grittier Year One short, the comedy crossover Mars Attacks and now this cross between the MegaCity Crazies and Judgeman's Holiday elements.  This mix creates a much better approximation of the true nature of the 2000AD strip in all its many contrasting aspects.

Frank

Quote from: Mabs on 01 February, 2014, 12:48:17 AM

Cor! Another Farina image I tracked down in one of the links you gave, sauchie.

Is this guy something, or is he something...just love the humour and detail crammed into his art. By the way, what's Vader holding so mournfully?  :eh:

I fear that's a level of Star Wars geekery above my grade, Mabs. The gentleman above me is almost certain to know. If it's not a Lucasverse reference, my best guess is that it's a suggestion that it's no coincidence that the Skywalkers were a desert dwelling people who kvetched constantly. Darth Seder?

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 February, 2014, 09:38:51 AM
It's interesting to see that IDW have adopted a diverse spread of takes on Dredd, rather than just pushing ahead with the core title: the grittier Year One short, the comedy crossover Mars Attacks and now this cross between the MegaCity Crazies and Judgeman's Holiday elements.  This mix creates a much better approximation of the true nature of the 2000AD strip in all its many contrasting aspects.

Nice way of looking at it, Tordelback. You just have to trust IDW know what US readers expect from an on-going monthly title, and that book appears to be selling in respectable numbers. This, Year One and Mars Attacks are much closer to being my kind of thing, though.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mabs on 01 February, 2014, 12:48:17 AMy the way, what's Vader holding so mournfully?  :eh:

It's Shmi's belt-girdle thing from Episode 1.

Good looking lady, Pernilla.

ZenArcade

Nice spot TordelBack, wouldn't have seen that in amillion years. I'm getting more impressed with this Farina guy the more I follow this thread. I'd prob invest in this only like most people in Ireland (both North and South) I'm currently an innocent victim/bystander of the great 2014 Gareth Brooks ticket crises - ref Link Prime. I'm also gonna save some molla to buy a Dredd helmet (new movie) hope you'll be giving me some advice Commando Forces.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 31 January, 2014, 11:44:02 PM

Back on track...

"What offences did you see Foley and Barry committing?" Are they flouting the Old Testament's dietary laws prohibiting the consumption of sea food?

Mabs

A bloody good spot there, Tordelback!  :thumbsup:

It brings an extra depth to the otherwise funny artwork.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

What I want to know is why is the Tenth Doctor in there?  :lol:
He sticks out a bit!

Mabs

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 01 February, 2014, 10:58:58 AM
What I want to know is why is the Tenth Doctor in there?  :lol:
He sticks out a bit!

Probably a slight detour on his way to Arcadia!  :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

mimikeke

Just read this one, I really liked the giant art spreads of MC2.  I thought the writing was a little shaky sometimes but the fun factor made up for it.  I've never read any stories about this city so all the panels with the teddy bear guns were great :)

COMMANDO FORCES

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex