Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Sintec looking at them figures nearly 50% of 2000ad back catalogue is a massive amount no wonder they brought the British treasury stuff as they wont have much left to bring out if you include zenith, flesh, Harlem heroes, Dan dare, Harlem heroes there isn't a lot left

Richard

I highly doubt the maths here.

If each prog has 36 pages (usually), multiply that by 2140 and you get 77,040 pages. That's just the weekly prog, not specials, annuals or the Megazine.

Divide that by 80 volumes, and you get 963 pages per volume. Are they really that big? I don't think so.

I have a complete collection, and it takes up a huge amount of space. The idea that you could reprint half of that material in 80 volumes seemed unlikely even before I started doing sums.

Quoteif you include zenith, flesh, Harlem heroes, Dan dare, Harlem heroes there isn't a lot left

I'm sorry but that is just preposterous. If you think that's all there is to 2000AD then you just don't know the comic at all.

Richard

Correction: there are in fact 32 pages in an average prog. X 2140 = 68,480. Divide by 80 = 856 pages per volume. Divide by 2 (to get half the comic's output) = 428 pages per volume.

Richard

My mistake -- I missed the bit where you said across both collections.

Astonishing to think that so much of the comic has been reprinted so quickly.

moly

I'm sorry but that is just preposterous. If you think that's all there is to 2000AD then you just don't know the comic at al

Nice of you to slag me off Richard without actually reading the entire post and when I mentioned some titles it was only as an example, but if you think I don't know the comic at all after reading it for 40 years I bow down to your obviously superior knowledge

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richard on 14 July, 2019, 11:42:44 AM
Correction: there are in fact 32 pages in an average prog. X 2140 = 68,480. Divide by 80 = 856 pages per volume. Divide by 2 (to get half the comic's output) = 428 pages per volume.
Also, be mindful there are 32 pages in the average Prog, but not 32 pages of strip. My original estimate of the Prog was on the basis of 26 pages os trip per issue. (Older Progs tended to have a lot more advertising than current ones – but even now, 28 pages of strip isn't a given.) I've no idea about the Meg, mind, given the regular format changes, and the periods where there was a ton of reprint. So figuring out the amount of original content from that publication that's been in these collections would be a mite tougher.

As for extensions, it'll be interesting to see whether it's viable, and also what would be in the mix. My guess: we'd see quite a bit of Dredd, given that most of the big guns would have been collected by then.

sintec

Quote from: Richard on 14 July, 2019, 11:42:44 AM

Thanks Richard that's a much higher page count than the one I used so it will definitely drag the %s down a bit. I'm a relative new comer having only ever read the occassional prog in the 90s prior to getting into the Ultimate collection. The reason I posted my working was to allow for discussion and critique from those with a deeper knowledge in order to help get a more accurate answer.

Reworking in light of this info:

We're currently on prog 2139 but need to allow for the progs being published between now and the end of the run - 2200 seems a decent enough rough estimate for the issue we'll be on come Sep 9th 2020 whent the last book is currently scheduled to be published. If the average prog is 32 pages then that'd be 70,400 pages in total by Sep 2020.

Doing the %s this is:

Publication    Pages   % of Prog
Mega Collection    9800  14%
Ultimate Collection (so far)    9500  13%
Ultimate Collection (est 80 books)    15500  22%
Ultimate Collection (est 90 books)    17500  25%
Ultimate Collection (est 100 books)    19400  28%

Giving us a slightly lower estimate of between 35% and 41% of the Prog depending on whether we get an extension to the run and how long it is.  Does that feel closer to the mark to you?

sintec

Ahh and I see whilst I was busing typing IndigoPrime has stated the working for his estimate of 57000.  :)

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 July, 2019, 12:43:50 PM
I've no idea about the Meg, mind, given the regular format changes, and the periods where there was a ton of reprint. So figuring out the amount of original content from that publication that's been in these collections would be a mite tougher.

Yeah I'm not going anywhere near that one - way to many variables.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 July, 2019, 12:43:50 PM
As for extensions, it'll be interesting to see whether it's viable, and also what would be in the mix. My guess: we'd see quite a bit of Dredd, given that most of the big guns would have been collected by then.
A hardback or 2 collecting the main arcs following on from Titan (I think that was the most recent Dredd arc in the Mega Collection wasn't it?) would be sweet actually.  Hadn't considered that but seems like quite a plausible candidate now you mention it; maybe I'll hold fire on those trades pending an announcement.

It feels like there's possibly a sequel to the Dark Justice book due the end of the month too - do we know for certain what that will include yet?

Richard

moly

paulbyrnewex

On the 2000 AD wikipedia page there is a pdf of what strips have been printed up to Prog 2100. I downloaded it and use a PDF highlighter to mark whats been printed in the Ultimate collection just to keep a list of what has and hasn't been reprinted   

sintec

Quote from: paulbyrnewex on 15 July, 2019, 11:02:56 AM
On the 2000 AD wikipedia page there is a pdf of what strips have been printed up to Prog 2100. I downloaded it and use a PDF highlighter to mark whats been printed in the Ultimate collection just to keep a list of what has and hasn't been reprinted

Oooh how had I not found that before; that's glorious.  Shouldn't be too hard to turn that into a form I can read with a script and then I can do a straight compare with a similar list built from the Ultimate Collection and Mega Collection data I have.  It might give me the means to accurately account for the occasional variance in the number of stories per prog which is a bit hit or miss so far.

paulbyrnewex

Apologies I should have posted the wiki link for anyone that may be interested. The PDF is available to download from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2000_AD_stories

Richard